Hurricane season.....??

sweetbees

We have booked a southern caribbean cruise out of San Juan on September 10th for this year and I must say that I am a little concerned about a hurricane given last years stats.

Has anyone ever experienced hurricane weather (lots or rain, wind, rough seas) or port changes due to a storm while cruising? I see that the forcast for 2006 is not looking much better than last year.

I don't sail in hurricane season for that specific reason, but lots of people do and some make out better than others. My cousin did his first, and unfortunately, last cruise one September. He was scheduled to go to Bermuda out of Boston. A hurricane, I think it was Floyd, but I could be wrong, hit Bermuda. They were told when they embarked that the itinerary had changed and they went north to Maine and Canada. No one had the proper clothing, it was a bit chillier north than it would have been in Bermuda. Like I said, unfortunately, he said he would never cruise again. But that was his experience, you may not encounter any problems, its truly a crap shoot sailing during hurricane season.

I am on the Destiny Sept 10-- the price was fabulous.

The further south we go the threat of hurricanes diminish. Your concern is getting to the port and getting on the ship on the 10th-

You MAY be getting on a day later.. you MAY get off the ship a day later.. depends on the hurricane and where its gonna hit.

Think positive and you will be great. This is the time to make sure you have insurance. www.insuremytrip.com

just in case you may need a hotel or a flight.

Have a back up plan in place just in case.

If the weather is truly bad--the captain will stear the ship away from the trouble. You may have your ports changed although its rare on a Southern trip. But jsut be aware that it does happen.

You are simply taking the risk that your trip will not be complete......I have been twice during Hurrican season - One trip was cut a day short, the other went off without a hitch. I had a friend that went last July and they were on the ship a solid 5 days and weren't able to stop anywhere. Ship Captains are monitoring the situation at all times and always let you know what the plan is, they will always take you away from the bad weather. Some days at sea may be a little rougher w/ a Hurricane, so plan accordingly. Hope that helps! Good luck :cool:

Last July our cruise on the Explorer was deverted due to Deinns and Cindy. We missed 2 of our ports but spent 2 days in the Bahamas. RCI appoligized and refunded shore excursions. It was still fun and I was just glad we were out of harms way!

Archived