Internet Auction Caution

revrick3

Purchased cruise on internet auction site which I had used 3 times previously, All was well for about 7 weeks. got confirmation from auction, HA website showed us booked. Set up airline tickets, purchased shore excursions from HA and from private contractors. So excited about our first Alaska cruise and first time on HA. Went online to do imigration form yesterday and note flashed up that our cruise reservation was cancelled???

Called HA imediately and went through an hour of people who just were mistified at what happened or what to do. Could not reveal to me what happened they said. Finally got a person in HA headquarters who informed me the auction house had sent in downpayment on cruise when I won, They charged full price imediately. They then must send in final payment to HA. They had not sent in final payment so my room was cancelled. I freeked out.

I called auction house and HA staff were going to call also. After 7 hours and repeated phone calls they informed me it was taken care of and someone had misinformed me about cancelation. Let me tell you it was not a HA mistake, they worked hard to get it corrected and I give them a thumbs up. They were good to work with. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH ONLINE AUCTIONS AND MONITOR YOUR TRIP IF YOU DO USE THEM. Apparently this is the standard practice they pay down then final payment and hold my money for several months, getting my interest. HA sort of informed me of this practice. BE CAREFUL AND WATCH YOUR TRIP.

All is taken care of as far as I know now.

Was the site per chance L..... L...?

Gary

Would love to know the answer to this question! We've considered many of their auctions for resorts in the past and I was always concerned because I never knew if they were really, truly going to take care of us. I wonder if this would apply only to cruises or if I'd be on the phone with Africa or Belize or wherever checking to make sure they were paid!

I've used the Luxxxx Lixx site numerous times without problems, although never for a cruise.

Thank you, Dave. So, that is one satisfied customer and one near-catastrophe. Anyone else? Anyone? Buehller, Buehller....

This was the site of S** A******, I also had used them 3 times prior, only had a problem 1 time and it was getting cruised tickets late, they handled it and we got tickets, they have taken care of this but it was pretty scary for a day until I confirmed it was fixed. I dont think I will use them again though, I will stick with booking myself through TA or online TA.

This was the site of S** A******, I also had used them 3 times prior, only had a problem 1 time and it was getting cruised tickets late, they handled it and we got tickets, they have taken care of this but it was pretty scary for a day until I confirmed it was fixed. I dont think I will use them again though, I will stick with booking myself through TA or online TA.

I've never actually purchased from Sxx Auction, because all their extra fees add up to the same price I could buy directly from the air/hotel vendor. But I have heard of people getting less-than-splendid customer service from them more than once...

Hi All,

I have purchased (won) auctions from both S** A****** and L***** L***.

I agree you must be very careful about the extras with S A, and most customer service is via email. However, they do have a few deals that cannot be beat. Other items can be found for less than they offer. In particular I find this to be so for "Buy It Now" items. One year we won roundtrip air and six nights in a hotel in Rome. We were doing a BtoB on Celebrity from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale so we flew to Rome for our six nights, took the train to Florence for 4 nights, took the train back to Rome and flew to Stockholm to visit our daughter (semester abroad) for 5 nights, flew back to Rome and caught the train to Bologna for 4 nights, finally taking the train to Venice to board the Millie. We didn't even use the return flight. That was in 2003. It all worked out very well.

This past fall I again "won" a very similar trip to Rome with six night stay. We flew to Rome, took the train to Napoli so we could take a ferry to Sicily. We spent 7 nights in Taormina, back to Napoli and on to Spoleto for 7 nights, back on the train to Rome. The hotel was a 4 star and very, very nice. (Not my favorite neighborhood but very handy transportation.) The hotel is priced on Venere at about $309 per night, which would have ended up being more than twice what we paid for the whole package at S** A*******. The hotels we stayed at in Taormina and Spoleto I found first on L***** L*** and then researched them on Slow Travel and Trip Advisor. They were wonderful. We left on March 13th and returned April 6th.

The Hotel package I bought to Hawaii was from L L but I got the plane tickets to Maui at S A. That was also a great trip.

Oh, I also "won" a Silversea cruise at S A. That is a long and windy story with many moments of anxiety, but it worked out.

Glad your Hal cruise seems to have worked out and I hope you have a great time.

Regards,

Shannon

Thanks guys, I have won a couple of cruises on the site for a steal in the past, you do have to figure in the tax and service fee to get a real picture but figure it in on front. One cruise was 7 night for a total of 350 per person, could not beat that anywhere. This one was a so so deal but I wanted a HA cruise and got it. The problem with them is there is no phone number listed anywhere on web site. I got their number from HA represenative and they are named a different company called, M****** T*****. Sort of confusing, I will keep this number though in case I need it later. I probably wont buy another from them unless it is a true deal. Cant wait for cruise, first time on HA and about to jump up and down to go. Havent cruised in 2 years due to wife in college, ready to get back on water. Take care

I've never heard of these auction sites. I just checked the S** A******. I see a 7 day Maasdam to Alaska cruise that is at a $73 minimum bid. How does this work? I can't believe they would sell something for that price!

I know how real auctions work (I used to clerk for a couple years for an auctioneer) and know that there are shill bidders who bid the price up to what is "acceptable" to the auctioneer. Does this happen on these sites? Or has anybody ever gotten a "great" deal?

Mary

I've never heard of these auction sites. I just checked the S** A******. I see a 7 day Maasdam to Alaska cruise that is at a $73 minimum bid. How does this work? I can't believe they would sell something for that price!

I know how real auctions work (I used to clerk for a couple years for an auctioneer) and know that there are shill bidders who bid the price up to what is "acceptable" to the auctioneer. Does this happen on these sites? Or has anybody ever gotten a "great" deal?

Mary

You'll find that price is for the lowest category inside, plus taxes & charges and may be surcharged by date. Still, you can pick up some deals at very good prices as long as a) you're caref7ul about figuring the additional charges and b) you don't mind the worst seats/cabins/etc.

Like I said earlier in post you can get a great deal but you must be carefull. All auctions on this site have added costs, READ DESCRPTION carefully for date surchages, taxes, port charges, etc. add all this up along with your bid. Often you can buy at same rate somewhere else yet you can get some deals. I wrote earlier that I bought a 7 night Carib. cruise on great ship with RCCL for less than 350 per person, this was total money which included port and tax. I could then afford air to Florida instead of driving, It was a great cruise, bought another one for just over 450 per person. You just have to watch and study it carefully. But remember the customer service is IFFY.

I've used S A lots of times, but only once for a cruise (on RC) that was a mess, but I think it was more of a problem with RC than the auction. Would like to know who is LUXX LX. I like to live on the edge & would like to take a look at what they have to offer (we're trying to make a decision for next fall with 3 other couples). Please email me since we're not supposed to name agencies on the board. Thanks. http://www.lgtrotter@comcast.net

I have used SkX AuXXXXX lots for hotels, airfare and purchased 3 timeshare weeks, also I day cruise to Bahamas for 3. Never had an issue. Friends used for Celebrity Cruise and while didn't have issues, they are tough to get through to. If you need anything other than a cut and dried reservation, better use a regular online TA. Some of the last minute deals on auction cannot be beat ( you know the ones that are 5 days prior to departure for less than 100 p/p) SOme of the Christmas cruises, and Christmas and New Years air and resort deals last year were an absolute gift( about 6-10 days prior to departure)

If you are in to saving money at the last minute this is the site. Also must make timeshare owners cringe to see people like me buying a week in a Cancun Timeshare for 251 (tota tax and sc incl), in prime time Jan/Feb . Oceanfront with view of Carib Sea and big balcony. Maintenance fees at these places run 500-700 a year.

This is a great site...I have booked 4 trips, although not a cruise on L...Li..... We leave a week Wednesday for 7 nights in Costa Del Sol, Spain on an auction we won here at an amazing deal. Have been to Palm Springs, New York, an Inn in New Jersey and never a problem.

Archived