Civitivechhia

billrau

We are sailing on GALAXY, November 20th, to the eastern Med. Our flight back to the states from FCO is so early that we must stay one night, and take the flight on December 2nd. Two questions:

1. Can you recommend a reasonably priced hotel near FCO?

2. Does anyone want to share a ride to FCO, or to a hotel, on

debarkation day? Celebrity wants $170 for two people, but

I know we can do better on the dock.

Thanks for your replies...billrau

Hotel:

4 Pts Sheraton at the airport.

If you want to stay in Rome proper, try StarHotels. The Michaelangelo is a short two blocks from St Peter's.

Don't count on transfers being cheaper at the dock. For cheap, I take the train into Rome.

The "Europe" board has advice on less expensive hotels, including B&Bs. We're staying at Rome Airport Hilton at $200 per nite - might be cheaper in November and hotel is connected to passenger concourses so easy depart from hotel. Its apparently 16 miles from downtown Rome. We'll be back in late May from our Rome visit and I will have a brief cruise review that will touch on Hilton.

The "Europe" board has advice on less expensive hotels, including B&Bs. We're staying at Rome Airport Hilton at $200 per nite - might be cheaper in November and hotel is connected to passenger concourses so easy depart from hotel. Its apparently 16 miles from downtown Rome. We'll be back in late May from our Rome visit and I will have a brief cruise review that will touch on Hilton.

We have stayed at the Hilton (airport) It was a very nice hotel and room was only 200 to 300 yards from lobby :rolleyes:

The hotel is connected with airport, however it is on the other side of the car park. It seem like about 2 miles to gate and up and down levels. Also you have to eat in the hotel ($$$) or walk miles to airport to eat anything. :eek:

We are Seniors (70's) and my wife is handicapped so we lucked out and hotel arranged for the Handicap cart to pick us up and we were at gate in about 60 minutes with the cart. :rolleyes: :D

1. Can you recommend a reasonably priced hotel near FCO?

2. Does anyone want to share a ride to FCO, or to a hotel, on

debarkation day? Celebrity wants $170 for two people, but

I know we can do better on the dock.

billrau---pop over to the Connections board and see if there is a thread for your cruise. that is the best way to hook up with people to get a ride where ever you need to go. You may luck out there. Enjoy the Galaxy Med cruise. We went last October and had a fabulous time.

Billrau,

Celebrity will exchange your transfers from the port/airport and give you transfers to the train station. We stayed at a pensione called the Hotel Piave. What a wonderful place! The cabride was 6 euros from the train station to our hotel. The pensione had been completely remodeled and updated. It had a safe, modern hairdryers, television, phone and fully remodeled bath, plus freshly brewed cappucino, yogurt, croissants, cereal, etc included in the price.........I do not know what you call reasonably priced, but I don't think "Hilton" is the correct answer here.....our rate? $120 per night....One of the cheapest you csn possibly do in Rome and a wonderful experience, I would stay there again. I booked on venere.com

Unless your flight departs FCO before 0700 I'd be inclined to stay in Rome and arrange a cab from your hotel to FCO the morning of your flight. Unless you're in your cab during rush hour, it shouldn't take over 45 minutes and should cost no more than 40 to 50 euros. That will give you another night in the Eternal City instead of being stuck in an airport hotel.

Knoxville Sam

Billrau, we're on the same cruise - some on over to the roll call board.

My husband Joe and I are also staying over one night. We stayed last year at the Airport Hilton and it was a much better price than it is now. We are looking at a couple of hotels downtown and would love to share taxi rides if we can work something out: from pier to hotel and the next morning from hotel to airport (possibly even the day we come in from airport to dock if schedules match. Joe has already checked on some rates. We had a driver pick us up last year at dock and take us to hotel and Yes, It was a lot less money.

So, we'll chat on roll call board.

Patsy

Tcocktail, was the Hotel Parlamento easy for taxi to get to or was it in the middle of small streets? As we will be there Dec. 1 we won't have air condition so wonder if this is a noisy area if we have to leave windows open?

We are looking at the Hotel Diana and rates are about the same but Parlamento looks a little more convenient.

Thanks for info

I've done a bit of research on these boards and have repeatedly been told NOT to expect to find many cabs/limos/vans, esp. well-priced, on the spur of the moment in Civitavecchia. We were there 5 yrs. ago, but rented a car to continue touring after we disembarked. So I didn't really pay attention much to that issue. Anyway, there would have been no way of telling who had reserved in advance and who had not. To be safe, I would try to hook up with another party as suggested above and have something pre-arranged. We are going ourselves in a few wks. and hooked up w/another family on our roll call for embarkation day going TO the port, but don't have a ride back into Rome after the cruise. But we aren't adverse to taking the train if necessary. Just another "experience" and cheap at that!

Tcocktail, was the Hotel Parlamento easy for taxi to get to or was it in the middle of small streets? As we will be there Dec. 1 we won't have air condition so wonder if this is a noisy area if we have to leave windows open?

We are looking at the Hotel Diana and rates are about the same but Parlamento looks a little more convenient.

Thanks for info

The taxis will have no problem getting to the hotel. The hotel is in a busy area BUT the windows are double pane I coud not hear a thing. Roberto at the Hotel will arrange a limo if needed. I was there about the same time you were and it was cool at night and around 60 degrees during the day. Don't think you will want to open the windows because of the cool air. We are going to stay there again, this November on our Galaxy cruise.

tcocktail, when is your Galaxy cruise? As you can see we are on the Nov. 20. I don't know what happened to Billrau that started this thread. Thanks for info about hotel. I will check it out.

Patsy

We are sailing the November 10th, I am not sure I would go any later to Mykonos. In fact it coould be sweater weather at this time of year.

The cabs are quite expensive and you should be careful which cabs you use, check a Fodor's and they tell you. I believe it is only the white ones and to negotiate the price 'before' you get in. The cheapest way to travel into Rome is by train. We have stayed at the Hotel Canada, a Best Western Hotel. It is not in the center of Rome, thus a little lower rates but a wonderful hotel with the best breakfast around included in your rates. It has lovely rooms and we loved it and stay there every time and our daughter and family has stayed there twice. You can take the train to the Termini and then the subway to within a block of this Hotel.

Last October, we stayed at the Sheraton Roma prior to our 10 night cruise on Galaxy. We shared a mini-van with another couple for transfer to the port, and it was 140 Euros, which seemed reasonable. Our airport transfers to the Sheraton Roma and from the Sheraton to the airport the day following disembarkation was 35 Euros each, in a Mercedes sedan. It was a very nice hotel and is located between the City and the airport. We also got an AARP rate.

Don not plan on snagging a taxi at the port, because there are very very few, and those that arrive have been preplaned. The limo services are the ones to use. If you want a list of the limo services, I posted a complete list on our Galaxy Roll Call for the October 7, 2005 cruise.

Milani, to get to the roll call boards: scroll down to bottom of this page and where it says Forum Jump scroll to Celebrity Connections, then after you get there find the ship and date of your cruise.

Good lunck, Patsy

We took the train both ways from Rome to port last year. You have to be quick on the train. It's a rolling stop. You are literally throwing luggage off the train. Then, it's down a flight of steps and up a flight of steps. The taxi ride from the train station to the port was 20euros for four of us. The train ride was about 12 euros a piece. It takes about an hour from Rome Termini.

Returning to Rome after the cruise on the train was a little easier. They do wait for you to get on the train and the conductor gives an all clear before the train starts to move. Trains run every 20 to 30 minutes. We walked up and bought tickets after the cruise.

Civitavecchia is not a large port. I agree that there would probably not be taxis or limos available to return to Rome without prior arrangements.

The train worked for us because of the economics and relaxation. I'm not the best car passenger and you do have to have nerves of steel in Rome.

Have fun! Rome is a fabulous city!

Archived