S&S How much do they hold?

Crusintogether

Hello, getting ready to go on our first cruise. DH and I are wondering how much of a 'hold' is put on the card choosen for your sign and sail account? Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Amanda

We didn't notice any hold if you are using a credit card and have a sufficient limit.. call your CC company to advise them you will be travelling and you should not have a problem.. unless you happen to go over the limit!:)

If you plan on using a debit card I can not answer that..

Thanks everyone, I think we will be just fine. We are planning on using a visa debit card, rather than a credit card. We almost never use our credit cards and are just more comfortable with using a card linked to our checking. Thanks for all the info. -Amanda

Thanks everyone, I think we will be just fine. We are planning on using a visa debit card, rather than a credit card. We almost never use our credit cards and are just more comfortable with using a card linked to our checking. Thanks for all the info. -Amanda

My granddaughter went ona 5 day cruise in March & used her debit card & they put a hold on $200. Hope that helps

you can request the amount the put on hold. My mother requested $300 for a 5 day 2 people no problems.

My DF requested $150 for a 7 day 1 person no problems.

If you request a lower amout then please be advised if you reach your limit they will no longer allow you to charge till they can establish another hold on your account, and this usually can only be done while in port.

We personally always use a credit card so we don't run into any problems.

Hope this helps...

If you have a credit card with sufficient credit on it, use that. It offers a lot more protection than a debit card will.

If you have to use a debit card, you can always withdraw cash before you leave and use that instead. At least that way you can't overspend!

I really love the convienence of a CC.

It would scare me to let someone put a hold on the cash in my checking account if I were to use a debit card. Errors do happen... and while they will certainly be cleared up in time... those cash funds will be frozen until then.

I know that I've been in situations where it appeared that my CC didn't take and the merchant re-ran my card thru 2 or 3 times. What the merchant or myself did not know until later is that the charge went thru each time. I thought I read a story where that same hapened on a cruise ship.

With a debit card, there is no float period. Your money is tied up until the bill is straightened out. And that could take as long as a month...:eek:

My point... Use a credit card for travel... just set aside money to pay it off after the trip.

Always use credit cards... Not bank checking debit cards... If there is any problem, do you know how HARD IT IS To GET BACK your money ? Regular credit cards have protection, and if anything is shady, you can dispute, unlike bank debit cards where the money is gone-not to mention the holds put on it and everything else bouncing from your account.

I do it the smart way... I buy FunShip Dollars and pay it from my AMEX Card... I just threw $1500.00 on it, and its applied to my sign and sail card already for my April 23rd sailing:cool:

Always use credit cards... Not bank checking debit cards... If there is any problem, do you know how HARD IT IS To GET BACK your money ? Regular credit cards have protection, and if anything is shady, you can dispute, unlike bank debit cards where the money is gone-not to mention the holds put on it and everything else bouncing from your account.

I do it the smart way... I buy FunShip Dollars and pay it from my AMEX Card... I just threw $1500.00 on it, and its applied to my sign and sail card already for my April 23rd sailing:cool:

Not a problem with a VISA check card (debit card)... same protection as a Visa. I have had to make use of the protection, and NO problem whatsoever... exactly the same as a credit card. I can dispute instantly, no holds... no bouncing of checks.

I use AMEX for my business cruises, and my debit (VISA) card for personal cruises... haven't had a problem yet.

Don't panic or give into the people that want to make you panic about using a debit card. If it is a VISA debit card, you are indeed protected just as you would be with a credit card. You are also protected by the daily spend/withdrawal limit, that you aren't with a credit card. If you have the funds in your account, that go above that amount, don't worry... if you don't, you might want to use another account, just in case. But it is just as safe to use your VISA check card, and you have the same protection... just wanted to clear that up.

The other thing you can do is just call Carnival and apply money directly to your S&S account... any amount you wish. That is the easiest way around it all!! :D

ok, if you really really want to use your checking/debit card, have all the funds in there that you think you would need... And have no checks out, and no other pending debits....And when you get back, wait a few weeks after to make sure everything goes thru, before you start using your checking account again.

Remember, you have been warned.

ok, if you really really want to use your checking/debit card, have all the funds in there that you think you would need... And have no checks out, and no other pending debits....And when you get back, wait a few weeks after to make sure everything goes thru, before you start using your checking account again.

Remember, you have been warned.

LOL, I haven't used a check in 4 years (I love my debit card :D)... and I don't ever wait weeks for anything to go through :confused: My Carnival charges show up by the time I get home... Have you had these problems?? Perhaps it is your bank where it is issued?? I use the credit union and have never had such troubles...

Everyone... be afraid :eek: :eek: Because of course the Visa Debit card is SOOOOO bad, nobody should ever use it... They are probably going to withdraw it anytime now :rolleyes:

I really love the convienence of a CC.

It would scare me to let someone put a hold on the cash in my checking account if I were to use a debit card. Errors do happen... and while they will certainly be cleared up in time... those cash funds will be frozen until then.

I know that I've been in situations where it appeared that my CC didn't take and the merchant re-ran my card thru 2 or 3 times. What the merchant or myself did not know until later is that the charge went thru each time. I thought I read a story where that same hapened on a cruise ship.

With a debit card, there is no float period. Your money is tied up until the bill is straightened out. And that could take as long as a month...:eek:

My point... Use a credit card for travel... just set aside money to pay it off after the trip.

I agree, we always use a credit card. We were on Royal Caribbean and they did put a hold on my sons debit card . But he never had any problems sailing with Carnival.

Hi! I am planning to use my credit union's Visa debit card to set up the S&S and want to leave most of my money in the savings account and transfer as needed to give myself a little extra protection, even tho' I'm sure the debit card's perfectly safe to use.

Have you tried this with your card? More trouble than it's worth?

Lisa

I would strongly advise against using a debit card for your S&S. I had the same question a few months ago. I called Carnival 4 times and got four different answers to this question. In reality, what they do is hold $200/per person on your debit card (the auto tips are included in this amount). Then if you buy anything, they also hold that amount. At the end of the week, they will charge you for the exact amount that you have purchased plus the auto tips. It then takes a full week for the holds to fall off of your account (varies by bank), so you in essence have twice what you spend tied up on your bank account. This is fine if you have a high balance or only spend a small sum, but I have heard of many people who spend $2K on the cruise and who wants $4k tied up because of it???? JMHO

I would strongly advise against using a debit card for your S&S. I had the same question a few months ago. I called Carnival 4 times and got four different answers to this question. In reality, what they do is hold $200/per person on your debit card (the auto tips are included in this amount). Then if you buy anything, they also hold that amount. At the end of the week, they will charge you for the exact amount that you have purchased plus the auto tips. It then takes a full week for the holds to fall off of your account (varies by bank), so you in essence have twice what you spend tied up on your bank account. This is fine if you have a high balance or only spend a small sum, but I have heard of many people who spend $2K on the cruise and who wants $4k tied up because of it???? JMHO

Carnival told me that it was 50.00 pp depending on would have their S&S card activated. Well, I have 6 kids and DH and myself (two rooms). My oldest two (17 and 15 1/2) are responsible for putting their own deposit of 100.00 each on my oldest child's debit card, which will activate their cards. They do understand the hold, so I told them to make sure they have their money for port stuff. My youngest son is in their room, he will not have his card activated. I will have 5 people in our suite, but I will probably put 400 on the card, hoping only to spend 200.00. Last year (Imagination) we put everyone on the same card, but I did not activate the older two's S&S. I specifically remember the people asking me how much I wanted to put on hold. I was surprised, because I thought it was a set amt of 200 pp. We went to Disney the next week and I believe the money was released from hold by Wed.

Killintime, Are auto tips the tips that are paid to the waiters and cabin steward. I thought we had the option to increase reduce what we want to pay them. I give 35 for each cabin steward and the 40 for the waitstaff. I know I am cheap, but the cruise itself was a splurge.

Remember you could alway use cash as well instead of a CC. I beleive they send you a check...not too bad to know you have money coming.

Here's another couple of reasons to use a credit card, preferred over a debit card:

1. Frequent flyer miles (or other points programs). Many credit cards offer these perks, few debit cards do.
  2. The Float... this is the period between when the charge occurs and the bill is due, when it finally comes out of your checking account -- this can be over a month. It's free money for you to use.

Of course, if you tend to carry a credit card balance from month-to-month, the above does not outweigh the high interest you will pay from the moment you make the charge. So, if you do carry a CC balance... well, best to get it paid off before you use the CC again:D !

To the OP

Only Carnival can tell you the amount of hold put on your debit card. It may vary depending on how many people in the cabin, etc.

If you have a credit card with no balance or an American Express you might consider using that instead of your debit card. Why?

You will not accidentally overdraw your credit card, you might go over the limit but it will not cause you to "bounce" other checks until you get the cash available. If you are using your credit card make sure that it has a high enough limit to allow you to make your shipboard purchase and for anything you want to buy in port too. It doesn’t make much sense to use one that only has a little available credit on it because you still have the over limit problems.

You can always pay it off with the first bill that comes after the cruise without any interest, so you get the use of your money a bit longer.

Is there a reason not to use a debit card? If it is one with a credit card logo on it so that it can be used like a credit card I cannot think of a reason not to use it other than what I said above. If it does not have a Visa or similar logo on it, you should check with your bank to see what protections you have if it is fraudulently used.

I was just on the Miracle and asked the pursers desk this question and the answer I received was....

They put holds on in $50 increments... when you spend $50 they request another $50 hold.... if they can't get the request they will ask you to come to the pursers desk...

Even the Federal Reserve recognizes the difference in liability rules. The following is excerpted from the Fed's website-- the Fed calls debit cards EFT or (Electronic Fund Transfer) cards:

What about Loss or Theft? It’s important to be aware of the potential risk in using an EFT card, which differs from the risk on a credit card.

On lost or stolen credit cards, your loss is limited to $50 per card (see Lost or Stolen Credit Cards). On an EFT card, your liability for an unauthorized withdrawal can vary: Your loss is limited to $50 if you notify the financial institution within two business days after learning of loss or theft of your card or code.

But you could lose as much as $500 if you do not tell the card issuer within two business days after learning of loss or theft.

If you do not report an unauthorized transfer that appears on your statement within 60 days after the statement is mailed to you, you risk unlimited loss on transfers made after the 60-day period. That means you could lose all the money in your account plus your maximum overdraft line of credit, if any. (end of Fed excerpt.)

The facts are clear - credit cards offer better protection. If you notify your bank quickly, your loss is the same as with a CC, but if not, you can be out big bucks. There is more burden on the cardholder with debit cards.

Source: http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/debitcards1.htm

Hi! I am planning to use my credit union's Visa debit card to set up the S&S and want to leave most of my money in the savings account and transfer as needed to give myself a little extra protection, even tho' I'm sure the debit card's perfectly safe to use.

Have you tried this with your card? More trouble than it's worth?

Lisa

Hey Lisa! Sounds like some people have had trouble with their Visa check cards, I never have. I did have it stolen once, like I said... it was very easy to deal with... the money was put back in my account within the hour, and the bank covered everything. Maybe I just have a really good bank???... if you are using the credit union, you would hopefully have the same experience. I am so thankful for my debit card, I don't even own a personal credit card any longer... don't care about earning perks, miles, etc... I get enough of those just from business travel and business use... I just prefer not to have a credit card, and my debit card gives me what I need. Not everyone cares about earning an extra "$800 with a credit card"... that doesn't turn me on :p

Now, if you are going to transfer your money to savings to use as your overdraft protection, keep in mind, that when you zero out on your checking account, that protection automatically kicks in, so even if your card is stolen, that money is just going to transfer over. So I wouldn't go through the hassle. I generally take a pretty good sum of travelers checks, and use that for everything onshore, as well as tips, etc. I wouldn't use a personal credit or debit card in ports.. that is just me, I don't even like taking it off the ship. I use cash when off the ship... UNLESS it is a business trip, then I use my AMEX.

If you are using your debit card, you do need to make sure you have a balance in your account that will cover any holds plus your actual charges. My bank releases any holds very quickly... so it doesn't affect me once I get home, and my charges generally hit my account by the time I get home. I'm sure all banks are different... just check with your C/U and see if they can advise you.

Also, let them know you will be traveling out of the country. If you have not done much of that, they may put a watch on your account if they see spending out of the country. Most of them will see the initial charge from Carnival and won't put a watch on it, but I've heard of it happening... I generally just let my banker know, and she puts a note in there...

Good luck... and really, please don't panic... If this was a big problem, like I said, the usage of Visa Check cards would be going down, rather than going up at a significant rate. Use common sense... and if anything happens, just like you would anytime there was a theft, contact your bank (also, make sure you carry the number seperately, if the card is stolen on the ship, you won't have the number to call ;)) You do have to notify them within 2 days, so don't delay... Have a great cruise!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise my credit card was put on hold and I found out at the worst time!(I did not realize this happens).When I was trying to pay a bill in a restaurant. We barely had enough cash for the taxi ride back to the ship.This time I am going to prepay for our excursions ,give them one credit card and if I need to charge on the islands use a different credit card. 32 days until the Elation

Archived