Hurricanes in the Gulf

Anteeta

Hi all, can anyone give me some advice please? I live in the UK and we're seriously tempted by a Cunard QE2 cruise mid Nov to mid Dec 2006 which visits Ft Laurderdale, New Orleans, Cozumel, Limon, Curacao, Grenada and Barbados. Just wondering about the weather. What's the hurricane season. How likely are we to hit really bad weather?

It would be a great trip, Southampton to Southampton so we'd have the Atlantic crossing bit as well.

Any advice/thoughts would be really welcome. Many thanks,

Anteeta

But the storms can't read, so you could find them even in early Dec. Generally, in the past, before last year's weird hurricane season, mid November was a safe bet. It is rainy season, so you might not have sunshine every day, especially in Panama on the Caribbean side.

What's the hurricane season.

The official hurricane 'season' is always June 1 through November 30.

But as one wag put it, so well, Hurricanes can't read. I would also like to point out they don't have calendars :D

But the storms can't read, so you could find them even in early Dec. Generally, in the past, before last year's weird hurricane season, mid November was a safe bet. It is rainy season, so you might not have sunshine every day, especially in Panama on the Caribbean side.

Thanks Phyllis. I guess the rain would be just as wet as the Uk but significantly warmer! Do you happen to know if there's any real risk of dengue fever and malaria in these coastal areas. We're getting some really bad reports about anti malarial preventive meds and need to seriously consider whether the risk of side effects are worth it. We would prefer just to use the usual anti mosquito sprays etc.

We did a terrific Caribbean and Bermuda cruise 3 years ago and had no problems, but it didn't go up to Mexico/Panama area. Any thoughts much appreciated thanks.

Anteeta

But as one wag put it, so well, Hurricanes can't read. I would also like to point out they don't have calendars :D

Thanks Nancy. I think we're likely to book and see what happens. Life's too short to worry about what might happen. Hopefully it'll be wonderful and whatever, it'll be an experience.

Thanks Phyllis. I guess the rain would be just as wet as the Uk but significantly warmer! Do you happen to know if there's any real risk of dengue fever and malaria in these coastal areas. We're getting some really bad reports about anti malarial preventive meds and need to seriously consider whether the risk of side effects are worth it. We would prefer just to use the usual anti mosquito sprays etc.

We did a terrific Caribbean and Bermuda cruise 3 years ago and had no problems, but it didn't go up to Mexico/Panama area. Any thoughts much appreciated thanks.

Anteeta

I don't think that you will have a problem with any type of the things mentioned above.

As far as cruising during hurricane season I try to tell folks that if you are the type person that can handle things like having your port or calls changed, cruise extended due to not being able to get to your debarkation port or the debarkation port changed all together then cruise during this time. If those things would upset you then I would shy away and pick another time frame or region to cruise. The cruise you mentioned sounds great and would be something that I would love to do.

I don't think that you will have a problem with any type of the things mentioned above.

As far as cruising during hurricane season I try to tell folks that if you are the type person that can handle things like having your port or calls changed, cruise extended due to not being able to get to your debarkation port or the debarkation port changed all together then cruise during this time. If those things would upset you then I would shy away and pick another time frame or region to cruise. The cruise you mentioned sounds great and would be something that I would love to do.

Thanks Cruisingator2 et al. We can handle most things without being phased. So we've booked the cruise, had the jabs for various diseases, bought the travel and medical insurance and just about started packing! Can't wait. It's going to be a blast! Thanks again everyone.

Although your cruise is still in hurricane season, it's really at the tail end. Hurricanes love/need warm water and the Gulf starts to cool off in October, so your chances of a hurricane that's severe are diminished.

Of course, anything can happen!

We live in Florida and have had quite a few near misses and one (Charlie) direct hit. I won't cruise in Sept. or Oct. anymore (used to), however, we do have one booked in November -- we'll be keeping our fingers crossed along with you.;)

I can't add a whole lot to what has been said except this...GO. We live 60 miles from Gulfport, Mississippi, 90 miles North of New Orleans, Louisianna, and we got our butt kicked by Hurricane Katrina. We vividly remember every hurricane from Camille in 1969 to Katrina. Last year we got back from Las Vegas the Saturday before Katrina hit and did not know about it til we left that morning. Katrina was the hurricane we knew would happen and she was long overdue. We would still sail in hurricane season IF the price was right, IF kids were in school, and IF we could both take off from our jobs. The bottom line is..forget hurricanes, buy insurance, and think positive.

Out of 5 cruises in 7 years during hurricane season, Katrina was the only close call.

Remember this too, New Orleans is not what it was before Katrina. They are in a massive rebuilding phase but devastation is everywhere. The French Quarters and the area around the piers are slowly recovering.

That's my sermon of the day.

Cliff

I can't add a whole lot to what has been said except this...GO. We live 60 miles from Gulfport, Mississippi, 90 miles North of New Orleans, Louisianna, and we got our butt kicked by Hurricane Katrina. We vividly remember every hurricane from Camille in 1969 to Katrina. Last year we got back from Las Vegas the Saturday before Katrina hit and did not know about it til we left that morning. Katrina was the hurricane we knew would happen and she was long overdue. We would still sail in hurricane season IF the price was right, IF kids were in school, and IF we could both take off from our jobs. The bottom line is..forget hurricanes, buy insurance, and think positive.

Out of 5 cruises in 7 years during hurricane season, Katrina was the only close call.

Remember this too, New Orleans is not what it was before Katrina. They are in a massive rebuilding phase but devastation is everywhere. The French Quarters and the area around the piers are slowly recovering.

That's my sermon of the day.

Cliff

Thank you Cliff. Forgotten already!

Yes, we do realise the ongoing problems following Katrina. New Orleans is one of those places that I've always longed to visit. A day won't be anything like enough, but this cruise seemed such an opportunity to at least spend a few hours there. I can't tell you how upset we were for all those who have lost so much. And the follow up coverage suggests that there is a phenomenal amount still to be done, with large areas still completely devastated. A lot of us in the UK take a close interest in what goes on over the water. We first visited 3 years ago and were overwhelmed by how kind and friendly all the Americans were. We learned so much and loved every minute of our voyage (the passengers were mainly Americans, so we had loads of opportunity to spend time with people).

Anyway, whatever happens, I know we'll enjoy every minute and won't want to come home!

Thanks again,

Anteeta

Although your cruise is still in hurricane season, it's really at the tail end. Hurricanes love/need warm water and the Gulf starts to cool off in October, so your chances of a hurricane that's severe are diminished.

Of course, anything can happen!

We live in Florida and have had quite a few near misses and one (Charlie) direct hit. I won't cruise in Sept. or Oct. anymore (used to), however, we do have one booked in November -- we'll be keeping our fingers crossed along with you.;)

Thanks Mafig. If it's good enough for you, and you live there then I'm even happier. Have a great trip.icon7.gif

Archived