Captain's Table How??????

BellaBaci4

My elderly mother and I are going on our first cruise, and it would be a great thrill for her to be invited to the captains table. Is it only beautiful successful couples invited? I hope not, because my mother and I are NOT particularly beautiful, and are not pilots, professional athletes, or minor celebrities.

We would however, like to be treated as if we were. :o

Our observations:

On a ten /11 day cruise there are three formal nights.

1st formal: suites.. those that have paid for it and expect the "help" to invite them

2nd formal: has been discontinued for invites on most ships. (cost saving?)

last formal. Invites..picked out of a hat, full moon, know somebody at head office??? good lookers (and their DH)

We now are lucky enough to get invited once per (not everytime) cruise because we have cruised so often and are frequently #1 on the sailing (35+).

There are always choices that have us scratching our heads... Who do they know etc?

The people that do the picking... varies but Future booking person and Captain's Club Hostess are important... If the Captains remebers a person ...also important... Maitre'd... since when?:confused:

...I think a dart board is also used sometimes..

We were invited to eat at the Captain's table for the first time on our Zenith cruise last June. We were travelling with our adult children to celebrate our anniversary so we declined the invitation. We are Select Captain's Club members - not Elite. I think we were invited because we had a long and pleasent chat with the cruise director at the Select/Elite Captain's Club cocktail party.

On our Galaxy cruise in August I plan to tell the CC host/hostess how sorry we were to have to decline the invitation on our last cruise. Who knows maybe that will get us another invitation.

Archived