What ships will Princess be running for the '07 Alaska Round Trip San Francisco

skarletohara

"Coral",

You are always so prompt with your responses. I just posted this question

not even 2 minutes ago!! LOL

I do hope it IS the golden. DH and I just booked the Golden yesterday

for the 10-day to Mexico, but would love to sail her to Alaska next year

as well since it's so convenient from our home....

If it is Golden Princess, prepare for a rough ride – the currents sailing north from San Francisco are substantial and the flat bottom that is characteristic of the Grand Class ships isn’t suited for rough waters. If Princess is concerned about the comfort of their passengers, they will choose a Sun Class ship.

I would imagine that Princess would put a Sun class ship there to see if there is enough demand for cruises out of SF. Then they'll put the Golden in in 2008 if there is enough demand. It's better for Princess to incrementally increase capacity in case bookings fall short of expectations.

We are intending to cruise Vancouver to Whittier (or vice versa - not sure yet) in 2007. I emailed Princess UK to ask when the brochures would be available and was told June 2006. I expect that, true to form, the US brochures will be available around a month earlier.

So if you are expecting the Sun or Dawn out of San Francisco - what do you expect out of Seattle? I actually wish they would drop the Seattle route (bad routing) and just go out of Vancouver for Round Trips.

In the past, they have done 2 twins out of Seattle. Last year it was the Diamond and Sapphire. This year - the Sun and Dawn Princess.

I just know the Golden will be on the left coast so it will probably be doing Alaska. Though, not sure where it would be out of. I actually think they will fill up the ship if they put a newer ship out of SFO. Celebrity's 90,000 tonn ship out of San Francisco sold really well last year. Though I can see them also putting the Sun or Dawn out of SFO to Alaska.

It will be interesting to get the Alaska schedule out and see if they make any changes.

Skarlet - I was just guessing.... The Sun or Dawn may be the ship they go with :)

My neighbor and I hashed this question out a couple of months ago and his bet was on the Diamond. They need a bigger ship because it WILL sell out and I want to be on it in '07. ;)

I think they would sell out a large ship as well. I can see the Diamond doing RT San Francisco.

Though, from what I am reading - the one ways (Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island) are selling really well and Princess has 4 newer ships doing this route. They moved the Diamond and Sapphire to replace the Sun and Dawn due to increase bookings of land tours.

It will definitely be interesting to see what the Golden does next year but she is positioned to be on the West Coast for something??

My neighbor and I hashed this question out a couple of months ago and his bet was on the Diamond. They need a bigger ship because it WILL sell out and I want to be on it in '07. ;)

Liz,

You and I hashed this over late last year and at that time, I figured that the 2007 round trips to Alaska from San Francisco would be on either the Dawn or the Golden as the schedules at the time had both ships ending up in San Francisco in May. I was leaning toward the Golden, with the Dawn going to Seattle to join the Sun. The Diamond was not in this equation as it is going to Vancouver. Both of us are booked on that cruise. My money is still on the Golden.

Jim

Archived