2007 Gulf of Alaska Itineraries Announced L@@K here for info!

Commodore Suzy

Princess put out the TA press release for the 2007 Alaska GULF program today. This is all of the 1-way Voyage of the Glaciers cruises that go from Anchorage to Whittier or the reverse, and all of the CruiseTours.

These sailings and tours will open for booking 5/6/06.

This announcement does NOT include any round-trip itineraries. Those are always announced separately. Usually a couple of weeks after this one.

With one exception, this is the same old / same old (but they're good, so why not?).

Diamond & Sapphire will sail the 1-way Gulf sailings on Saturdays again, just like 2006. First Northbound Diamond 5/12/07, last Southbound 9/8/07. Alternate weekly. First Northbound Sapphire 5/19/07, last Nouthbound 9/8/07. (Yes, last one goes North.. can we say Sapphire is going to Asia everyone??! ;))

Coral & Island will sail the 1-way Gulf sailings on Mondays again, just like in 2006. First Northbound Coral 5/21/07, last Southbound 9/17/07. First Northbound Island 5/14/07, last Southbound 9/10/07. Alternate weekly.

These are same ports as 2006 Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway...with Glacier Bay and College Fjord cruising.

The exception / difference from last year is that the Pacific Princess will help out with this itinerary and sail WEDNESDAYS from either Whittier or Vancouver. First Northbound 6/6/07, last Southbound 9/5/07. Alternates weekly.

I'm a little confused of her exact itinerary, so I'm going to put here word for word what it says in the PR announcement. Looks like it'll be a great 14-day B2B from Vancouver if you can stand repeating the ports:

"The Pacific Princess will also be deployed on the 7-night Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary, departing Wednesdays from Vancouver or Whittier. Ports of call will include Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway with daylight cruising of Glacier Bay and College Fjord on southbound sailings, and Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord and Tracy Arm on the northbound."

NOW, how do they add a another day of scenic cruising with the same three ports? My guess is it goes a bit like the Sun Princess' current itinerary where you spend the morning in Tracy Arm one day, and the afternoon / evening in Juneau. Of course, that's just a logical GUESS, so don't quote me until the sailings open 5/6/06!

For the record, I think Princess answered our request as best they could. We wanted something longer on a smaller ship that didn't require the flight to Anchorage. By doing the Pacific B2B, and taking you to different Glacier experiences, I think they did their best. Let's sell that ship out so fast that they'll know we appreciate them listening!!! :D Maybe next year they'll give us different PORTS with the different Glacier experiences, but we can only hope...

Housekeeping:

Please read the sticky at the top of the main message board about rules and TAs. Yes, I'm a TA. That's why I have this press announcement for TAs. No, you can't ask for my email, give my yours, ask me for a price, or in any way, shape, or form have any contact with me. I post this info solely to be helpful, and so you'll go off on your merry way and know you can call your agents or Princess or whatever on 5/6/06 to book this. I certainly don't mean to be mean. I just love posting here and don't want my rights to post to be revoked, or a post made by someone to cause this entire helpful message string to be pulled from the board because someone didn't know the rules. I'm an addicted cruiser just like you! Thanks!

Princess changed the CATEGORIES of some cabins on the ships for 2007. They call this a "regrade", so here is the list so you can be sure you're booking what you think you are when the sailings open"

Diamond and Sapphire Princess

D736 and D737 change from being AC to AE

E728 and E731 change from being AE to AD

Pacific Princess

6080 and 6083 change from BE to BD

6084 and 6087 change from BF to BE

7112 and 7117 change from BC to BF and are considered partially obstructed

One last comment about the Pacific Princess....the pricing will be different than you're used to. What I mean is I THINK all agencies will have the same price. They are not allowing agencies to block any cruise-only group blocks on the Pacific. This is "WOW" in the industry. Everyone will have the same inventory. No one will have any group cabins "set aside". No one will be offering usual group amenities like shipboard credits, free bottles of wine, photo voucher, etc. Of COURSE, your TA can still send you a gift of one of these things, but it won't be because of a group like they usually are. AND the prices on Pacific are a lot higher than the other big ships for the same itinerary. (As can be expected since the overhead has to be spread over a smaller number of cabins.) I think, as if the ships in Alaska don't sell out fast enough ALREADY, if you don't get your booking done on the Pacific ASAP after it opens, you'll be sailing something else.

Should be interesting!

Lastly, as all of us truly addicted know, the three ships in the Pacific Ocean area that are likely to do Alaska but aren't yet "announced" are Sun, Dawn and Golden. Seems pretty obvious what they'll all be doing next summer since Sun and Dawn are repositioning to Seattle and Golden will be in San Francisco, but it's not "official" yet.

Because the IT guys and gals need time to "build" the sailings into the computer system after the number-crunchers "announce" them. It's a whole lot of work for them putting in each sailing, the ports, the complex pricing, the cruiseTOURS (OMG), etc.

By the way, the CruiseTour options seem endless and are probably similar to last year. Right now I have just an overview sheet that says something like -

"CruiseTour 7S is Fairbanks, Denali, McKinley". It just tells me where you sleep each night, not the details. But, I'm going to presume it's the same as the prior year.

By the way, my error I noticed on 'guessing' the Round-Trip 2007 Alaskas. My sales rep just pointed out that BOTH the Golden and Dawn are situated in SF at the end of the current deployment listing, and Sun is currently listed as Seattle waiting to be told where to go. This gives us more of a drum roll waiting for the announcement of those round-trippers. Maybe it's not as obvious as we all thought that the Golden will do the RT SF? WHAT IF it's the Dawn? (That's what I personally requested in my original email to then-Princess Prez Peter Radcliffe last year.) What IF it's both?

Hmmmm.......

I just noticed something about the CruiseTOURS.

The Pacific will have a very limited number of CruiseTOURS that hook onto those Wednesday to Wednesday sailings. Only Tours 1, 7, 10 in both North and South versions, 2N north only, 19S south only, 21E and 22E.

For the most part, the tours that will be offered with the Diamond, Sapphhire, Coral and Island are the same as 2006. There is a half dozen "new" ones, but they're probably only a slight modification from the prior year. I don't have super details on them in the early announcement. If you have a specific question like "IS Tour 7S exactly the same as last year", just let me know. All I have is where they spend each NIGHT on land, not how they get there or what's included and such.

Cheers!

By the way, my error I noticed on 'guessing' the Round-Trip 2007 Alaskas. My sales rep just pointed out that BOTH the Golden and Dawn are situated in SF at the end of the current deployment listing, and Sun is currently listed as Seattle waiting to be told where to go. This gives us more of a drum roll waiting for the announcement of those round-trippers. Maybe it's not as obvious as we all thought that the Golden will do the RT SF? WHAT IF it's the Dawn? (That's what I personally requested in my original email to then-Princess Prez Peter Radcliffe last year.) What IF it's both?

What if they alternate round trips that start in San Francisco and end in Seattle and vice versa? OK – I’ll admit that was a WILD guess.

The Cruise Critic group will be on Sapphire Princess southbound on June 9, 2007... just waiting for the groups department to get rates! A lot of us will be doing an optional pre-cruise land tour as well (5 nights) to Denali or 1 night in Anchorage for those not wanting the "tour" and the train down to Whittier on the 9th.

The Cruise Critic group will be on Sapphire Princess southbound on June 9, 2007... just waiting for the groups department to get rates! A lot of us will be doing an optional pre-cruise land tour as well (5 nights) to Denali or 1 night in Anchorage for those not wanting the "tour" and the train down to Whittier on the 9th.

We are interested in a Southbound, early in June. Will keep watch for your info!

What if they alternate round trips that start in San Francisco and end in Seattle and vice versa? OK – I’ll admit that was a WILD guess.

I believe that would violate the Passenger Services Act. I doubt if Victoria qualifies as a distant foreign port.

Jim

Because the IT guys and gals need time to "build" the sailings into the computer system after the number-crunchers "announce" them. It's a whole lot of work for them putting in each sailing, the ports, the complex pricing, the cruiseTOURS (OMG), etc.

By the way, the CruiseTour options seem endless and are probably similar to last year. Right now I have just an overview sheet that says something like -

"CruiseTour 7S is Fairbanks, Denali, McKinley". It just tells me where you sleep each night, not the details. But, I'm going to presume it's the same as the prior year.

Hmmmm.......

I am so hoping that one of them is the Golden...we are looking at the RT from SF and have been on the Ocean Princess once and Sun Princess 3 times and would love to try the Grand class for the first time. I am waiting impatiently to hear the decision...

I believe that would violate the Passenger Services Act. I doubt if Victoria qualifies as a distant foreign port.

Jim

That is correct--a Seattle to San Francisco (or vice versa) itinerary would have to visit a distant foreign port, which means a non-US port outside of North America (so, not Canada). This is why Princess breaks up the repositioning cruises from California to Seattle into a repo to Vancouver, then a repo from Vancouver to Seattle. Round-trip sailings just have to go to any foreign port, rather than a distant one like a one-way sailing, which is why they can do the round-trip sailings out of San Francisco and Seattle, as long as they stop in Victoria or Vancouver or some other place in Canada. That's probably more info than anyone needed, but there it is. :D

Herb, no, Princess hasn't offered any 7-day round-trip Vancouver runs in the last couple of years, just round-trip Seattle. You could do a back-to-back and make it a 14-day itinerary, though.

My guess is that they'll decide which ship to position in which city based on how popular the sailings are this year. If they're having trouble selling out the Regal in San Francisco this year, then I doubt they'll use the Golden for that itinerary next year, since they'd have about twice as many berths to fill. But if the Regal is all sold out this year, they might decide to put the Golden down there. It'd make for great marketing to have the Golden Princess sailing under the Golden Gate! :D

That is correct--a Seattle to San Francisco (or vice versa) itinerary would have to visit a distant foreign port, which means a non-US port outside of North America (so, not Canada).

My guess is that they'll decide which ship to position in which city based on how popular the sailings are this year. If they're having trouble selling out the Regal in San Francisco this year, then I doubt they'll use the Golden for that itinerary next year, since they'd have about twice as many berths to fill. But if the Regal is all sold out this year, they might decide to put the Golden down there. It'd make for great marketing to have the Golden Princess sailing under the Golden Gate! :D

Beth, you are correct. I guess Brian and I shouldn't be silly when folks might be thinking our WILD ideas could come true. ;) The "distant foreign ports" are a specific list though, not "just" a non-US port outside of No. America. I don't know the full list, but the ABC islands (Aruba for sure, but I've heard rumor of Bonaire and Curacao as well) and Cartagena, Columbia are on the specific list of distant foreign ports. That's why the Grand Panama sailings continue to stop there.

The Regal SF to Alaska has sold out, especially the balconies, so fast in past years that it can make your head spin. That entire ship has always been a massive sell-out for the summer. That's why I specifically requested a bigger ship with more balconies be put here in SF. The Dawn would suffice, but I LOVE :p your marketing idea of the Golden and the Golden Gate! I'll vote for that one!

I'm dying to hear what the Dawn will do though... Ugh... the waiting is painful! LOL!

can someone please tell me why the pacific princess is so popular. thanks

Maybe because "The Love Boat" series from the 80s was based on it.

Also some people do like smaller ships. Makes it easier to get around and less likely to get lost ... The smaller ships are more intimate feeling too.

I actually met my husband on a cruise to Alaska in 86 on the Pacific Princess. We would love to go on the Princess again, it was a beautiful ship. Yes, smaller than the new ships now but very nice.

Suzy: We are thinking of doing a 10 day to Alaska in '07. Do you think another ship will be making this trip beside the Regal?? Hopefully that will happen. The CC cruise is interesting and we could do that one without the land tours. Just wondering what ships they may put out there. Thanks for your reply.

Suzy: We are thinking of doing a 10 day to Alaska in '07. Do you think another ship will be making this trip beside the Regal?? Hopefully that will happen. The CC cruise is interesting and we could do that one without the land tours. Just wondering what ships they may put out there. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Carol P...we too are in hopes of one of the newer ships doing the 10-day RT from San Fran. My TA thinks it will be the Golden Princess as she will be in San Fran next April. I hope this comes about as we have not cruised on the Grand class before and would like to try it.

I think there was a previous post by Suzy that had some speculation in at as well...

But we must remember the Pacific Princess from the 80 and 90's is no longer in the fleet. They replaced with with another smaller ship and reused the name.

This is correct, the ship used in the TV series has been renamed Discovery and is sailing for Discovery World Cruises. Here's an article about what she's up to these days:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/travel/bee/story/14240350p-15060154c.html

I think the current Pacific Princess appeals to people who prefer a smaller ship and don't mind that there's no Anytime dining room.

Hi Carol P...we too are in hopes of one of the newer ships doing the 10-day RT from San Fran. My TA thinks it will be the Golden Princess as she will be in San Fran next April. I hope this comes about as we have not cruised on the Grand class before and would like to try it.

I think there was a previous post by Suzy that had some speculation in at as well...

Lisa, it would be great if it were the Golden, sailed on her in '04. It is a beautiful ship and doesn't feel big at all. Easy to get around and just loved it. I'll be waiting patiently and keeping my fingers crossed. It is such fun to plan especially a cruise:)

The Regal SF to Alaska has sold out, especially the balconies, so fast in past years that it can make your head spin. That entire ship has always been a massive sell-out for the summer. That's why I specifically requested a bigger ship with more balconies be put here in SF. The Dawn would suffice, but I LOVE :p your marketing idea of the Golden and the Golden Gate! I'll vote for that one!

Who knew I was such a marketing genius? :D I guess I've missed my calling in life!

Suzy, You're right about the ABC islands--here's the definition of "distant foreign port" (yes, I am a legal nerd so I looked it up):

(2) Nearby foreign port means any foreign port in North America,

Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the

Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands

Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). A port in the U.S. Virgin

Islands shall be treated as a nearby foreign port.

(3) Distant foreign port means any foreign port that is not a nearby

port.

In case there are other legal nerds out there, the cite is 19 CFR 4.80a. :o

Lisa, it would be great if it were the Golden, sailed on her in '04. It is a beautiful ship and doesn't feel big at all. Easy to get around and just loved it. I'll be waiting patiently and keeping my fingers crossed. It is such fun to plan especially a cruise:)

The planning and picking of the cabin, etc. is a lot of the whole cruise fun thing for me. I LOVE planning...picking just the right cabin, checking the deck plan over and over. LOVE IT

Archived