Whisper 3/28 - Reply from Silversea

zacho46

As one of the passengers aboard the 3/28 Whisper 4-day voyage from San Juan, I committed to providing the readers of this page with an update on my post-cruise interactions with Silversea. If you missed my original thread, I expressed my dissatisfaction with the service aboard our cruise and summarized how our onboard feedback was handled (ignored).

To our satisfaction, we received a prompt reply to our detailed letters to Albert Peter and Frank Sansome. A letter of apology acknowledged the sub-standard service levels and stated that our experience was not indicative of the performance typically delivered by Silversea. Unlike some of the posters on this board, Silversea did not attribute the service deficiencies to the short duration of the cruise or make any other excuse.

Along with the letter, we were provided with a $1000 credit (off the full published fare) for a future voyage. While we were not expecting, and do not plan to use, the credit, it added to a very professional response from Silversea.

For those readers who provided constructive comments, feedback and suggestions to the postings from the 3/28 voyage, we thank you.

Hi Zach,

As another one of the affected passengers, I thank you for letting us know of Silversea's response. I haven't received one yet but I sent my letter to them more recently.

Out of curiosity...You say they "acknowledged the sub-standard service levels", do they provide an explanation why that happened? I'm glad they are not using the excuse of the short duration of the cruise.

Thanks!

Cruiseluv,

The response did not provide explanations but did provide an outline of corrective actions taken. For example, the problems with the embarkation process are being addressed with the port authority, security and cruise representative in San Juan. They said our comments regarding service will be shared with onboard senior management and the Crewing Division for their personal review. Their apology seemed genuine and sincere.

As for us, we're already planning our next cruise and are trying to decide between a return to Radisson/Regent or a voyage aboard Seabourn. Good luck and smooth sailing!

The $1000 cruise certificate is not per person and is "valid solely toward the full published cruise-only brochure fare less port charges, and will be applied to your booking prior to other savings programs, such as the Advance Payment Bonus, Early Booking Incentives, Silver Sailing Savings or any Venetian Society savings programs." I would be happy to send this to you or someone interested in Silversea, but it is non-transferable, non-refundable and non-commissionable.

Thanks zacho46 for the info...

FYI I just broke down my per day rates and here they are:

My 7 day Seabourn Pride is going to be $539 per day

My 9 day Dec Silverseas was going to be $528 per day in a MidShip Veranda.

My 4 day Whisper was $673 per day in a standard veranda.

All three sailing were discounted...

Just my opinion Zacho, but it seems odd that even with a well-done apology and a $1000 inducement, you're so adamant about giving a second chance to a line that so many here have had very good experiences with. Different strokes, I know....

Itsally, you make a good point and I'll provide a simple explanation...

I run a large organization and have very limited time for my vacations. With that in mind, I spend whatever is necessary to enjoy the type of accommodations, attractions and service that makes me happy.

I had high expectations of Silversea and the company failed to live up to their reputation. While some of the deficiencies aboard the Whisper could normally be overlooked, the combination of poor service throughout the trip along with an onboard attitude of "we really don't care," left a bad taste in my mouth. In addition, the experience that others shared with me aboard the Whisper and on this board validates my assumption that Silversea's performance was unacceptable throughout the cruise.

So, despite their nice gesture, I need to be selective when planning my future cruises. Silversea had a perfect opportunity earn my future business (and that of many other passengers) by making a positive impression with an introductory short voyage. They failed. I will not hesitate to return to Radisson/Regent - where they have repeatedly provided a great experience and earned my business, or give Seabourn a try.

Itsally, you make a good point and I'll provide a simple explanation...

I run a large organization and have very limited time for my vacations. With that in mind, I spend whatever is necessary to enjoy the type of accommodations, attractions and service that makes me happy.

I had high expectations of Silversea and the company failed to live up to their reputation. While some of the deficiencies aboard the Whisper could normally be overlooked, the combination of poor service throughout the trip along with an onboard attitude of "we really don't care," left a bad taste in my mouth.

Very well say Zacho46

On a couple nights when I was on the RSSC Mariner I had dinner with two ladies with 14+ Silverseas cruises from the Bailiwick of Guernsey :p. And over dinner they told how they liked Silverseas over RSSC. I really liked the food and onboard service on the Mariner. The only thing they told me about Silverseas that was true was the in-suite safes were a bit bigger.

I am also a brochure reader and by the time my Whisper cruise had come up my poor brochure was in pieces. I have limited vacation time and look forward to my time away from work very much.

But like I wrote in my letter to Mr. Peters

As for myself, there is an old saying about first impressions, and had this been my 2nd or greater Silverseas’ cruise, the problems I (Blackbird71) saw on this cruise, I would have just mailed you or Mr. Sansone and hoped you would take care of them.

But as it is, Mr. Peters, you will be receiving this the morning of the 5th, so please pick up your phone and insure the April 5th cruise is not another "Carnival Cruise" and then please remove me from all future mailings from Silverseas or the Venetian Society.

You never get a second chance on first impressions......

Hmm---"Birds of a Feather......"
Or maybe the service really was horrendous on that one cruise. don't you find it rather odd that so many who cruised SS for the first time (as well as many Venetian Society members) found the service lacking? I do! Was it an abberation? Most likely, but I know if I was on that cruise experiencing such poor service, I too would not wish to sail SS again.

For you to make the above snide comment, especially if you hadn't been on that particular cruise is rude on your part and is inexcusable. Yes we understand you want to defend the cruiseline you love and you have a right to do so (hopefully by letting us know how wonderful your past cruises were on SS and showing us how this one cruise was an abberation), but what you don't have a right to do is negate others who actually were on the cruise. Frankly burying your head in the sand by poo-pooing others observations reminds me of the late 60's and early 70's when many folks would say, "my country right or wrong." Or to paraphrase a more recent saying, "Don't confuse me with facts."

Whether a 4 day cruise or a world cruise, everyone should be treated with the same level of service and curtesy.

........For you to make the above snide comment, especially if you hadn't been on that particular cruise is rude on your part and is inexcusable ............Whether a 4 day cruise or a world cruise, everyone should be treated with the same level of service and curtesy.

I think the comment WAS ill-advised and agree with you and perfectly understand why you conclude what you did. I think I'd just add that it is a shame that you have decided not to give it a second chance - although perfectly understand why. In mitigation the problem handling with SS from your first hand account seems to have improved and they were at least grown up enough to admit that this was not up to their normal standard. This is unusual and good and I think that's a great sign. No business that relies on human effort is ever going to be great 100% of the time however hard they try to be. This was very clearly a duff cruise - but as others have said - it's unlikely the same will happen again.

I'm in a similar situation re time pressures etc to you and if I were you and if I could bring myself to give SS a second chance, I'd send Albert Peters and Frank Sansome a note before my next cruise asking them to use their office to ensure we have a perfect cruise next time and that you will e-mail them again to report back. I think you'd find that the next cruise would go very well, but perfectly understand why you feel bitten and unwilling to try again.

Jeff

Ata and others, thanks for the replies. I find there are some on this board who don't care for objective feedback or opinions contrary to their own. Their heads are stuck somewhere, but I don't think it's in the sand...

For the most part, the feedback, suggestions and experiences shared on this board and on CruiseCritic have been of great value to me. Unfortunately, there are some posters here who should just stick to reading cruise brochures as they really don't want to hear the opinions of others.

Smooth sailing to all!

Ata and others, thanks for the replies. I find there are some on this board who don't care for objective feedback or opinions contrary to their own. Their heads are stuck somewhere, but I don't think it's in the sand...

For the most part, the feedback, suggestions and experiences shared on this board and on CruiseCritic have been of great value to me. Unfortunately, there are some posters here who should just stick to reading cruise brochures as they really don't want to hear the opinions of others.

Smooth sailing to all!

LOL! Yes Zach, you and the others like me who actually were in that horrid cruise know what happened ( although the "why" is still a mystery). I think it is so childish for these other posters to run around, hands on their eyes and ears" See no evil, hear no evil".

If they are so "irritated" by negative posts maybe they should convince CC management to post a new rule: "Only positive comments about Silversea allowed here".

I think in the same way that some people have said that there is no excuse for this poor quality and it means that the whole product is therefore awful - others have merely said that this isn't normal and have a high level of consistant satisfaction. Any extreme view is equally wrong - so why don't we leave the topic there?

I think a lot of mischeivous misinterpretation is going on.

Jeff

Zach,

Just curious, if something like this had happened to a potential new client at your firm, what would you have done to try to retain the client? I know first impressions can be powerful but I have always thought the way management reacts to a bad situation says alot about the company. It sounds to me they heard what you had to say and are doing the right thing. I think most of us have limited vacation time so our vacation decisions are important. Based on the reaction SS management gave you and all the other positive reviews by folks like me, travel magazines, etc. you might want to take them up on their offer. I would recommend a longer cruise however. If I were in your shoes, I would try them again.

Mark

Mark,

Think about it in terms of cars. If you went out and brought a Ford and this was your third Ford and it was a lemon and the dealer service was bad, probably you would still in the future buy another Ford. But if this was your first Ford and the same happened would you buy another one or look at the other brands.

In my case I do not know if Mr. Peters has replied to my letter because I have not been home. Hopefully he respected my request to never contact me again.

Mark,

In my organization, members of my management team are empowered to make decisions and take corrective action to satisfy our customers. I expect them to respond immediately to the feedback of customers - unlike the lack of response I received when I brought issues to the attention of members of the Silversea management team aboard the Whisper. When paying for and expecting a first class experience, customer service should be Priority #1. My favorite hotels and restaurants do this so well that I go out of my way to provide them with my business.

My previous posts recognize the subsequent response from the Silversea home office but that does not change the experience provided by the crew. I appreciate your suggestion to try Silversea again and I should never say never. But for now, there are other options higher up on my list.

Zach

My wife and I have cruised many times on Silversea. We have always found Silversea to be the best line, hands down, and we have been on Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, Celebrity, RCCL, Princess. (Seabourn comes close, but we prefer the more modern and ample Whisper and Shadow -- just our personal taste).

It is a tricky situation as to what to do when a cruise isn't up to a passenger's expectation, even if the cruise line does admit that, for whatever reason, the cruise service did fail on that voyage.

After all, a cruise fare really consists of three basic elements:

transportation from point A to B and maybe C, D, etc., and back or onward;

a hotel room;

food and drink

You did, in fact, receive and use all of these elements, even though they weren't to your satisfaction.

transportation -- you did leave your port of origin and return without problems;

a hotel room -- you did receive a room (which on Silversea are quite beautiful, putting aside whether your Stewardess cleaned it to your satisfaction or whether your refrigerator was filled with what you asked for) which I assume was more or less in proper order;

food and drink -- you did eat and you did drink, and I assume the food did not cause passengers any illness or virus (whether or not you liked the food, drink and service is a subjective issue which has no bearing on my post).

Had any of the above aspects totally failed, you probably would have received a complete refund and/or other arrangements.

To say that a line like Celebrity has better food is simply not true and impossible (and this is not a subjective comment, but rather refers solely to the operations of a cruise ship). The Specialty Restaurant on Celebrity does have excellent food and quality because those meals are prepared as close to a restaurant operation as possible while at sea.

However the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean Main Dining Rooms and Buffets are nothing more than institutionalized banquet or catering operations, while Silversea comes as close to a full-service restaurant as is humanly possible on a cruise ship. I am not even referring to the quality of the food, since that is a personal, subjective experience, but rather to the operation itself.

You will NEVER fully match the experience of a world-class land restaurant while at sea. This is because, at sea, all meat, lobster, fish, and many ingredients are delivered and kept frozen for logistical and health-related reasons. At your land-based gourmet restaurant, they will probably get a delivery from a butcher and/or fish market every day.

Personally, I wouldn't take a four-day cruise on ANY LINE. We have done that and it is indeed a different product. A 3 or 4 day RCCL cruise to Mexico or the Bahamas is very different from a 7 day or longer cruise on those same lines. And those are cruise lines who market the 3 and 4 day cruises as an ongoing, weekly product all throughout the year and have ships especially dedicated to that product. With other lines, 4 day cruises are not the norm, and when they exist, they exist for very specific, strategic purposes developed by the cruise lines.

Many times, the shorter cruises are strategic -- they are arranged so that more travel agents can have the opportunity to tour and experience the ships, so that a different group of passengers than what might otherwise sail the line on a longer cruise can experience the ship, and are often used to change and orient new crews before a new season is about to start. We took a 4 day cruise in Europe last year on RCCL. It was definitely the cruise from hell and was very different from a 7-day or longer cruise in the same area and on the same ship.

We do not like to cruise the luxury lines (Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal) in the Caribbean. We feel that this market is already owned and vastly exploited by the mass market lines, and for a rock bottom price you could float around on one of the brand new megaships, have a bed to sleep in, edible, albeit not gourmet, food to eat, and nice beaches and pool weather. This experience on the mass market ships suits our tastes just fine for a Caribbean holiday.

We try to save Silversea for the exotic adventures around the world, which is where the line truly exceeds. It is a totally different feeling to sail Silversea in Africa, Asia, South America, even Europe than to float around the Caribbean islands just to get a tan, snorkel, play golf, see some nice scenery, and go shopping. Silversea has helped and encouraged us to do things in this world we might otherwise not have ever done on our own -- going to India, to remote islands and ports in Asia, safaris in Africa, seeing the glaciars in Patagonia, seeing remote places (not just the capital cities and major tourist areas) of Australia and New Zealand, etc.

There are many Silversea cruisers out there who know exactly what I'm talking about, and who believe that you were amply "compensated" for your bad experience during the short cruise.

Regards,

Gunther and Uta

If I had only been interested in transportation, a room to sleep in and food that wouldn't make me sick, my choice would not have been to take a Silversea cruise in the first place. Also, I did not request or expect a refund, nor do I plan to use the $1000 credit.

I've been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity voyages and there is no comparison to Silversea - in price or experience. To your point, this company has a sterling reputation, magnificient ships and wonderful itineraries. They can, and do, charge a preimum for their product. Customers have a right to expect more from Silversea and they have an obligation to deliver.

I appreciate your suggestions for exotic itineraries ... my experiences on other lines and on land-based tours in China, Russia and the Med have been terrific.

Before you shrug Silversea off completely (and obviously that is your personal choice to make anyway), now that you're a repeater (Venetian Society) you are entitled to take advantage of what they call "Venetian Values".

These are special, unpublished fares you can book either direclty with them or through your selected travel agent 30 days or less before sailing, and are subject to availability.

Depending upon the season, popularity of the given cruise, itinerary, length, etc., sometimes you can get a 14-day cruise for about $3,000 - $4,000 per person in a mid-ship Verandah suite.

Factoring in the all-inclusive and no-tipping nature of Silversea and the quality of the food, etc., that price would be a steal and would even be far cheaper than any mass market cruise line out there.

Whether or not your $1,000 discount would apply to those special fares would be another matter for you to take up with Silversea, but even without the discount, they are a true steal.

Happy cruising whatever you choose.

Regards,

Gunther and Uta

My previous posts recognize the subsequent response from the Silversea home office but that does not change the experience provided by the crew. I appreciate your suggestion to try Silversea again and I should never say never. But for now, there are other options higher up on my list.

Zach

Zach,

We where in the same cruise with the same intentions as you. You have done a great job expressing exactly how I feel. I sent letters to the above mentioned too, as soon as we got back home, and have not received a response, yet. We were in a regular balcony suite, so they may not offer a credit, and if they do we may never use it anyway. My goal was not to get a credit, it was to express my disapointment.

Jorge

Jorge,

Thanks very much for your reply. It's difficult to respond to some of these posts.

I see you are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise and you are in for a great treat! Our Alaska experience was one of the best, and you will find the natural beauty and wildlife aboslutely amazing! Enjoy

Smooth sailing!

Zach

I see you are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise and you are in for a great treat! Our Alaska experience was one of the best, and you will find the natural beauty and wildlife aboslutely amazing! Enjoy

Smooth sailing!

Zach

Thank you Zach,

We are really looking forward to Alaska. It's going to be a busy cruise. We have activities booked back to back on each port of call, helicopter ride, dog sled ride, train rides, glacier walk, whale watching, etc. We are using the cruiseship just for transportation unlike the Caribbean where we wanted relax, feel pampered and enjoy the ship and her service.

Oh well!!

Thank you again and best regards!

Gunther, I'd sure like to know more about those Venetian Values.

This statement you made,

"It is a totally different feeling to sail Silversea in Africa, Asia, South America, even Europe than to float around the Caribbean islands just to get a tan, snorkel, play golf, see some nice scenery, and go shopping."

While possibly true this is exactly where the problem lies I believe. It shouldn't be.

Archived