Any Uniforms on Formal Nights

centerpoint

I'm still trying to talk my son into wearing his dress whites on our next cruise (first one together since he was 15 and he turns 29 next week . . . can we say "excited mom"). He's an officer in the Coast Guard (flies helicopters) and looks fantastic in his uniform (but then who doesn't?). He thinks he'd be out of place in a uniform on a cruise. How to I convince him that he won't be mistaken for one of the ship's officers (Coast Guard and Navy uniforms are very much alike and do look a lot like the dress whites the officers on cruise ships wear) . . . and that he won't be out of place on one of the formal nights? Also, for those that wear their uniform . . . do you wear it on just one formal night (if so, which one) or both formal nights?

I was on active duty (Army) from 1973-1976, and we were discouraged from wearing our uniforms in public because of the controversy it might cause. For those too young to remember Vietnam, soldiers were regularly called "baby killers," spit on and worse, and basically blamed for the war.

I like to think that will never happen again.

Wishful thinking I guess. You are always going to have differing opinions and people who are willing to take their opinions to the next level. Like I said, I saw a nice little formal night brawl on my last cruise. A comment was made, words were exchanged, and pride got the best of couple a couple of people. Of course, this was on a RCCL ship shortly after we went to Iraq--blame it on RCCL!

Okay...I'm recently retired Navy. Is it still okay...or do I leave the uniforms to the "young guys" still on active duty?

Sir, you'd do yourself well to wear that uniform. We had a man and his son at a table near ours come in full dress one formal night and they got a standing ovation.

Also, we had a cruise director ask who had traveled the longest distance for the cruise and one gentleman in the balcony stood up and said Texas, by way of Afganistan. We stood and clapped until he came to the stage for a bottle of wine.

I am a gapper at 47, didn't have to register, didn't get drafted and will never forget my dad's service to the Navy in Korea or my FIL service to the Army in WW II.

I don't think patriotism ever goes out of style.

Thanks for serving the USA.

He's an officer in the Coast Guard (flies helicopters) and looks fantastic in his uniform (but then who doesn't?). He thinks he'd be out of place in a uniform on a cruise. How to I convince him that he won't be mistaken for one of the ship's officers (Coast Guard and Navy uniforms are very much alike and do look a lot like the dress whites the officers on cruise ships wear) .

The uniforms although white are nothing alike. Besides his aviators wings will suggest something else.

I flew in rescue helicopters as a flight medic, the USCG pilots and crews are

the best. Daily they save folks from Alaskan waters to New Orlens to picking up a cruise liners injured or ill.

You must and should be very proud few obtain the status he has at just 29.

Doc

When the Princess board had this tread on wearing of uniforms on formal nights, it convoluted into an anti military "dis", with folk quoting military regulations ad nasaeum. :(

Thanks to all for showing your support to our present and past active duty military. Althought I am not a retiree.... I know I am proud of my military service and enjoy seeing active duty and retirees were their uniforms.

And although never having seen it myself, it is great to hear about Fire and Police officers wearing theirs too. :)

Please wear your uniforms proudly! I will definitely be one of the people to approach you to thank you!

I have yet to see anyone not treated with respect.

I remember those Vietnam Vets not getting their due honors. They are now the parents and grandparents of the current generation of people serving the USA with pride and honor.

If someone states something negative it is their problem not yours.

Thank you for your service to our Country.

Anna

Centerpoint, As a retired Army SFC, I say "Go for It!" I'm planning to take my dress blues on the next cruise with me. Hopefully, without the wife's knowledge, so I can suprise her on the formal night. Cross your fingers, I can pull it off. (Going to have someone we are cruising with carry them for me).

Enjoy your cruise!!! When is your cruise date and on which ship??

Matt

June 25, 2006 - Carnival Valor (western)

Very kind words, everybody. Thanks...

Archived