Carnaval, Rio

Keith1010

My wife and I will be in Rio next year during Carnval.

Have any of you gone to the Carnaval in Rio. As I understand the Carnval is held in a downtown stadium. If you have gone to the Carnval, did you do this on your own or through the cruise line and how was your experience?

Keith

Keith,

I've been following your thread and see that no one's offered any opinions, so I'll jump in and hope I don't get flamed. But hey, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. :)

I'd NEVER go to a Carnival celebration in Rio without a guide. Heck, I'd probably want a body guard! Rio is a dangerous city and putting thousands of people in one huge stadium at a time when many of them will be drunk and drugged would be a situation I'd stay clear of. You probably don't speak portguese or tupe and will stand out as a gringo.

I would do this only with a group tour. Besides, you'll be the middle of thousands of people, so why not be on an organized tour? (and I'm a very "do my own thing, no organized tours for me" kinda person)

You didn't say if this trip was with a cruise or not. Last year we went to Brazil during Carnival and didn't go to Carnival in Rio. However, our ship was overnighting in a small Brazillian port and a group of 6 of us hired a private guide to take us to the local Carnivale in a small town about an hour away from port. It didn't have the level of professional performers one see's in Rio, however, it was a blast. Had the requisiste number of women and transvestites in thonged glitter bikini's, crazy costumes, wonderful dancers, plenty of food and drinks and was full of families and it was down mainstreet, not in a stadium. We stayed there until about 2:00AM, though I heard the next day that the partying went on til sunrise.

So, if you're on a cruise during Carnivale, a small town celebration is another possible option. But if you're set in Rio, go with a group tour.

Jane, thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on this. I should have provided additional background.

We will be in Rio on a cruise and we will be there for a couple of days on the cruise (it's multiple cruises) including two overnights. The cruise does offer an excursion in Rio for the Carnval. Surprisingly, it was quite expensive so I'm assuming it includes nice seats in terms of viewing. So, I was trying to get a sense what this is like. I agree with you that we would definitely do this in a large excursion or at a minimum with a group.

Keith

In January when we were in Rio, we were shown where Carnival is held. It is not actually a stadium, it is along a street and on one side are the stands for the people. It was so different to what I expected as the street is not that long. Apparently about 7 Dance Studios take part and it takes literally hours and hours for each studio to perform along that street.

It would be fun to watch but I would be extremely careful and go with a private guide plus not have anything of value on one's self. We saw a documentary here a few weeks ago on the Carnival. You cannot leave the stand for hours and there are no toilet facilites anywhere nearby which would worry me!!

Jennie

We will be in Rio on a cruise and we will be there for a couple of days on the cruise (it's multiple cruises) including two overnights. The cruise does offer an excursion in Rio for the Carnval. Surprisingly, it was quite expensive so I'm assuming it includes nice seats in terms of viewing. So, I was trying to get a sense what this is like. I agree with you that we would definitely do this in a large excursion or at a minimum with a group.

Keith

Another option is to create your own small group and hire a private guide. That might be less money and just as safe.

While in Rio, do make it to a Samba show one night.

Enjoy!

I am from São Paulo Brazil, and I´ve been to Rio de Janeiro many times.

I understand that Rio is a dangerous city even for the brazilians, and it keeps getting worse over the years because of the increase of poverty, corruption and war between the drug dealers from the slums and the police.

I must say that Carnaval is a great party and definetly it is worth watching it at least once in a lifetime. It is held in a place called "Sambódromo" that it is not a stadium but a street made exclusively for this party.

The party itself consists in a competition between "samba schools" and the people who participate take it very seriously. Each samba school has a time to perform in the Avenue and they receive grades by judges in many "quesitos", like drummings, harmony, fantasy, lyrics of the song, etc.

You should book it through the cruise line or with a group tour. The tickets sell out very quikly.

If you want more information regarding anything in Brazil feel free to e-mail me:silviovenosa@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...

Just an add on. Unless you book with a REPUTABLE tour agency as soon as they are available, your chances of getting Sambadrome tickets worth getting will be slim and none. For this one time, stick with the ship excursion. Yes, it is VERY pricey. Friends went a couple years ago-$10,000 for one of the Sambadrome "boxes" which held 12. This didn't count food or drink. They reported they spent over $18,000 for three nights at the Sambadrome-box seats, food, drinks, favors (favors for the dancers), transport, gratuities and GUARDS. Evidently the poorer people will try to get into your box and steal your food and drink and attack you after you leave the Sambadrome for your money, jewelry, etc.

Here's two links-one with prices for 2007 for the bleacher seats.

http://rioturismoradical.com.br/carnival_rio.htm

And one with lots of info about Carnivale. If you notice, this official site is NOT selling tickets yet. Be VERY careful if you book through a third party.

http://rio-carnival.net/samba_parade/samba_parade_tickets.php

Rio is NOT a safe city. I go to South America four times per year on business. We used to have a large meeting once a year in Rio. The South Americans on the management committee will no longer have the meeting in Rio. Too dangerous. Please be careful.

Keith,

Though I have not seen what cruise line you are on, my husband and I will be at the carnaval in 2007 on the Infinity and the cost of the cruise includes tickets for the parade, so maybe this is true for you as well.

Esther

Keith,

Though I have not seen what cruise line you are on, my husband and I will be at the carnaval in 2007 on the Infinity and the cost of the cruise includes tickets for the parade, so maybe this is true for you as well.

Esther

Please recheck this. You may have bought a package that includes the parade, but if you just bought the cruise, the parade tickets are extra. Better check with your TA. Yes, the ship is in Rio for 3 days, but anything else is extra.

The Infinity offers parade tickets as a shore excursion. http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationShorex/results.do;jsessionid=0000BVwtll3ZKX1FOPYAuWbgBDs:1051tg3ld?packageCode=IN14BAB3&shipCode=IN&sailDate=1070211&DestinationCode=SAMER&LocationCode=GIG&DurationCode=&ActivityTypeId=&ActivityLevel=&CurrencyCode=USD&x=38&y=9 And those cheaper?? seats are for the open seating grandstand seats-they are literally concrete benches. No tables or other amenities. The reserved grandstand seats are no better as far as seating-still concrete benches, but they are in the reserved area-I think section 9. I have probably been in the Sambadrome 3-4 times, but never during Carnivale. If you need pictures of the seats, please post.

I really did a lot of research on this when my friends went, as we were going with them. Tried to combine the cruise with Carnivale. Any way I looked at, I was going to spend a lot of money. Decided to pass.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to the Sambrodome parade in 2006 and would do it again if we are in Rio during carnivale---We booked our Carnival tickets through Celerbity before embarkation. The parade is 2 nights, 7 parades each night---each parade has between 3 and 8 thousand marchers, and is allowed 1 hr, 20min to complete their parade. The sambrodome is used only for carnivale. It is built like a long runway, with seating on each side. We sat in the "tourist" section which was right near the judges stand, and each school put their best show on at that time. We arrived at about 8:00pm by bus, which let us off right at the gate and we were picked up at the same place. Buses returned to the ship every hour on the hour after midnight. My husband and I made it back to the ship about 8 in the morning!!! the parade is truly the greatest show on earth!!!!!! Don't miss it!

Makingpar,

Of course, we are going to the parade but do you have suggestions for other activities while in port aside from shopping that is? Or recommendations for tour guides?

thanks so much for your help,

esther

Makingpar,

Of course, we are going to the parade but do you have suggestions for other activities while in port aside from shopping that is? Or recommendations for tour guides?

thanks so much for your help,

esther

while in Rio, you could go to see The Statue of Cristo Redentor,( which i found to be too tourist packed for me)

and Pao de Sucar.( sugarloaf mountian) I went up to pao de sucar at sun set , and It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. really!

and if you like football-soccer, then you can go to the biggest stadium in the world. they have a really good tour even if thier arn't any games on that day.

enjoy rio.

while in Rio, you could go to see The Statue of Cristo Redentor,( which i found to be too tourist packed for me)

and Pao de Sucar.( sugarloaf mountian) I went up to pao de sucar at sun set , and It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. really!

and if you like football-soccer, then you can go to the biggest stadium in the world. they have a really good tour even if thier arn't any games on that day.

enjoy rio.

Thank you for the suggestions, sounds like a must do though I am sure with it being "Carnaval" tourists will definitely be aplenty.

esther

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the information. I didn't realize that the parade was divided up into multiple nights.

Esther

Multiple nights, even multiple weeks (the lesser known Samba schools parade the week before and the Parade of Champions is the following week.

That is the frustration of the X Carnival cruise. X cannot tell you which night you will go to the Sambadrome. And the best of the Samba schools perform on Monday night.

I purchased my tickets on Sept. 1 (the first day). The availability is now somewhat limited, although lots of ticket brokers are still taking orders. I got mine direct from Rio Carnival with a phone call to Rio. Please be careful if you purchase brokered tickets. With the internet an easy way to advertise, there are bound to be rip offs and dishonest brokers. You will not get the actual tickets until you arrive in Rio.

Multiple nights, even multiple weeks (the lesser known Samba schools parade the week before and the Parade of Champions is the following week.

That is the frustration of the X Carnival cruise. X cannot tell you which night you will go to the Sambadrome. And the best of the Samba schools perform on Monday night.

I purchased my tickets on Sept. 1 (the first day). The availability is now somewhat limited, although lots of ticket brokers are still taking orders. I got mine direct from Rio Carnival with a phone call to Rio. Please be careful if you purchase brokered tickets. With the internet an easy way to advertise, there are bound to be rip offs and dishonest brokers. You will not get the actual tickets until you arrive in Rio.

Can you give me the contact information so I can see about purchasing tickets for Monday night as well. And if the ship's tickets are for Monday, what will you do with the tickets you purchased.

p.s. what location should I attempt to get tickets for?

Thank you so much for your help,

Esther

I acquired 2 tickets, for the sector 4, in the last carnival with CarnivalService.com, and I didn't have any problem. In my hostel I saw people complaining of the agency that sold them tickets (and didn't delivery). These people had to buy their tickets in the street and they only enter in the carnival parade ground (Sambódromo) after 2:00 a.m. I prefer not to commit mistakes as these people and, this year I will make the same, I will buy of who didn't bring me problem.

Can you give me the contact information so I can see about purchasing tickets for Monday night as well. And if the ship's tickets are for Monday, what will you do with the tickets you purchased.

p.s. what location should I attempt to get tickets for?

Thank you so much for your help,

Esther

Hi Esther,

I'm thinking we're probably not going on the cruise. We will just fly to Rio and get a hotel. WAAAY too much confusion at Celebrity. I still have the cabin, but think I will release it in October.

Everyone is getting different answers about what is and what is not included. And I definitely want to go Monday night, as that is the best of the Samba schools. If you don't know what tickets are going to be available or for what night until you embark, too much chance for me. The only reason we were going on this cruise was to have hotel rooms, food, and some level of saftey available for Carnival.

Rio is a dangerous, dirty city and even more so during Carnival. The South American Fruit Growers Association (which I belong to) used to have their annual South Ameican meeting in Rio. A couple of years ago, some of the South American representatives refused to go to Rio anymore due to the danger. We now have it at alternating cities, but not Rio.

I called a business contact in Rio and he got me a phone number. Told me it was the official Carnival office. There were NO tickets available in Section 9 (the tourist section with reserved seats) for either night. Looks like either agencies, groups or cruise ships have purchased all the "tourist" tickets. I know there are over 5700 hotel rooms booked by the large gay travel agencies and most were packages sold with Sambadrome tickets included (got that information from Starwood Preferred guest services).

Here's the number I called. (+55 21) 8176 1472

My business colleague told me to either get one of the open box seats in sections 5 or 7 or what they call the numbered chairs in section 6 or 13 (the chairs are considerably cheaper). Everything else is either unassigned/unreserved grandstand seating OR the closed boxes that my friends got a couple years ago. Those are REALLY expensive unless you have a lot of friends to share the cost.

I got the numbered chairs for Sunday night in section 6 and an open box in Section 7 for Monday night. Cost was slightly over $700pp for both nights, which is right in line with the prices X had advertised as a shore excursion last year. You did get transportation to and from with X. However, you got grandstand reserved seats in Section 9 with X, not chair or box seats.

Besides the link that was posted previously-here is another reputable link for tickets. I think this is the same vendor I got tickets from but this is the online retail side. The prices are comparable and saves a phone call to Rio.

http://rio-carnival.net/index.php

Please make arrangements in advance for either private transport or use X transport to the Sambadrome. Rio is dangerous. Don't go wandering around by yourselves. Enjoy!!!

Hi Esther,

I'm thinking we're probably not going on the cruise. We will just fly to Rio and get a hotel. WAAAY too much confusion at Celebrity. I still have the cabin, but think I will release it in October.

Everyone is getting different answers about what is and what is not included. And I definitely want to go Monday night, as that is the best of the Samba schools. If you don't know what tickets are going to be available or for what night until you embark, too much chance for me. The only reason we were going on this cruise was to have hotel rooms, food, and some level of saftey available for Carnival.

Rio is a dangerous, dirty city and even more so during Carnival. The South American Fruit Growers Association (which I belong to) used to have their annual South Ameican meeting in Rio. A couple of years ago, some of the South American representatives refused to go to Rio anymore due to the danger. We now have it at alternating cities, but not Rio.

I called a business contact in Rio and he got me a phone number. Told me it was the official Carnival office. There were NO tickets available in Section 9 (the tourist section with reserved seats) for either night. Looks like either agencies, groups or cruise ships have purchased all the "tourist" tickets. I know there are over 5700 hotel rooms booked by the large gay travel agencies and most were packages sold with Sambadrome tickets included (got that information from Starwood Preferred guest services).

Here's the number I called. (+55 21) 8176 1472

My business colleague told me to either get one of the open box seats in sections 5 or 7 or what they call the numbered chairs in section 6 or 13 (the chairs are considerably cheaper). Everything else is either unassigned/unreserved grandstand seating OR the closed boxes that my friends got a couple years ago. Those are REALLY expensive unless you have a lot of friends to share the cost.

I got the numbered chairs for Sunday night in section 6 and an open box in Section 7 for Monday night. Cost was slightly over $700pp for both nights, which is right in line with the prices X had advertised as a shore excursion last year. You did get transportation to and from with X. However, you got grandstand reserved seats in Section 9 with X, not chair or box seats.

Besides the link that was posted previously-here is another reputable link for tickets. I think this is the same vendor I got tickets from but this is the online retail side. The prices are comparable and saves a phone call to Rio.

http://rio-carnival.net/index.php

Please make arrangements in advance for either private transport or use X transport to the Sambadrome. Rio is dangerous. Don't go wandering around by yourselves. Enjoy!!!

Gina, thank you for getting the information and I guess I will have to re-evaluate what I will do now and soon. I just am not sure I can do two nights, as it is I thought I was pushing it just to stay up for one parade. I am sorry you won't be joining us on the cruise but have a great time and be safe.

Esther

Esther

• 2 weeks later...

Archived