Comments On Cruising

andyvlad

HELP NEEDED FOR NEW BOOK

We are doing a second edition of our book, SELLING THE SEA- An Inside Look at the Cruise Industry published by John Wiley. The new edition will be out next year. We are interested in comments from everyone on how you chose which cruise line to sail on, and why. Why did you pick the last cruise you were on and which is your favorite? All names will be kept confidential so no one will know who said what. The last edition, published 10 years ago sold over 30,000 copies -- mostly to people in the industry and so your thoughts are very important to us. Thank you.

Andy Vladimir& Bob Dickinson

Andy Vladimir, Associate Professor Emeritus, School of Hospitality and Tourism Management,

Florida International University, MIami, Florida

We choose our first cruise line because it had the itinerary that we wanted. We continue using that same line because we love the old world elegance, the magnificent staff and crew, the amazing beds, and above all the best passengers on the high seas.

We love Holland America Line.

The cruise industry has undergone some important changes in the past ten years and is going to continue to change. The major change is the rise of the monster ships serving more than 2000 passengers and ever-increasing numbers in the future up to RCI's planned Genesis, said to serve over 6000 passengers.

Along with this change in size is a change in what a cruise ship actually offers all those passengers. For example RCI's ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls, putt putt golf, and wave riders for surfing. By offering such athletic amenities, the type of cruise passenger is growing younger and more families cruise attracted by the many activities the entire family can avail themselves of. Some cruise ships appear to be becoming destinations in and of themselves.

As a result, some traditional cruisers are longing for smaller ships, fewer children runnnig around and strict adherence to formal night regulations. Newer cruisers are demanding less stringent meal time seatings, a bigger variety of restaurants, and more choice to avoid having to wear formal attire if they do not desire to do that.

What they all are asking for is more variety in itineraries, ships going to unusual ports of call and more cruise ports to make travel to the cruise ships shorter, easier and cheaper. If I could change one thing, I would have RCI, my preferred cruiseline, break away from that tiresome Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya itinerary.

I started cruising in 2003 with my husband. Which we where dating then. He had been on two cruises with his family both Carnival. So not knowing anything about which ships to go with. I schedule with Carnival. I was hooked...

We then in Dec 2004 went on Celebrity with his family. We where not as found with Celebrity. Our next family cruise will be on Royal Caribbean. I'm looking forward to seeing how they are.

Right now I'm a Carnival lover. They are layed back, but I still can dress up when I like. We are looking in to going on a Mediterranean cruise. We will see in Dec. how we like Royal Caribbean.

So far we have not be disappointed in Carnival. But part of me thinks I should try different cruise lines. The other reason I like Carnival is price.

When we look for a cruise we look for price, point of departure and ports of call. So far we are sticking with Royal Caribbean. But we are also looking for our future cruises on other lines. We are beginning to feel that Royal Caribbean is losing the everyday person. They are starting to build cities on the ocean and if we wanted a city, we would stay home. We do tend to like the more laid back approach, but not with tons of people. We love cruises, but we like our quiet time also. We are platinum member of Royal Caribbean and their discounting policy is really bad. We think from a business stand point, this was done to build bigger ships. Which means forget the loyal customers, but on to bigger and better things.

In a country man's terms we think: "Royal Caribbean is gettin to big fer their britches"

Missy

I'm pretty much a novice here.

The first cruise was almost 5 years ago and picked on price alone, Royal Carribean. It was the best vacation we'd ever had and it was our 10th anniversary.

I've always wanted to go to Alaska and finally I saw fares drop below $1000 and started exploring. I picked Princess for several reasons: naturalist on board, the one-way itineraries, and, surprise, Price. I'm thrilled with Anytime Dining, because, especially in Alaska, I don't want to be tied to a clock. I like complimentary room service, and robes to use in the cabin, refridgerator and safe, 24 hour snacking!!, pools without a closing time, etc. Princess may turn out to be "just right" for me and Mom.

I don't know what the next cruise I take with Hubby will be, nor what line, but, I can tell you that price and itinerary will be the first considerations.

My concern for the industry is the gargantuan size that ships are becoming. Bigger, to me, is not better. There still needs to be a niche where people can get quality over quantity. I recently cruised on QM2 for a couple of days and have to say, while there was a lot of good things and the ship was gorgeous, I have no plans to cruise on a ship that size again.

I cannot imagine how a ship the size of Freedom will provide service, but we'll know soon, after the first 6 months of operation. I do think there will be a learning curve with this ship and it will be even worse for the larger ships planned for the future.

I'm also concerned about the islands the ships are visiting. It would be great to see these cruiselines helping to improve the infrastructure of the islands and help improve the quality of life for its inhabitants.

We started cruising at the recommendation of a good travel agent. A couple of months after 9-11 my best friend got fed up between working full time, going to school full time at night, and dealing with family problems and decided to go to the Bahamas for spring break. The travel agent she called told her it wasn't safe for a single, young female to go to the Bahamas on her own and recommended a cruise, which due to the specials after 9-11 was actually less than flying to the Bahamas and staying there. My friend invited me to go with her. We ended up on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas to the Bahamas. Between the fact that we got to see new places without unpacking, we had casual days, but the opportunity to dress up at night, we could do as much or as little as we wanted, and be pampered at the spa, we were hooked. I've now been on 7 cruises with one more booked, and at least 2 more planned.

We were so pleased with Royal Caribbean the first time that we haven't strayed, especially since they've never given us a reason to. The only thing that would make me stray at this point is if they stopped offering itineraries that take me to places I've never been, and even then I've gotten to the point where I don't need to get off the ship in every port anymore. The ships are destinations in themselves, which I love.

Archived