Dinning room attire

panurse

Is it acceptable on NON formal nights for a woman to wear dress pant and a dressy shirt?
Definitely acceptable. I bring a pair of black and a pair of white pants and mix and match tops with them for non-formal nights. I dress them up with some jewelry.

Princess Dining Room Attire as stated in the current 2006 Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops,

and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

I must start by saying sorry sorry sorry if I start the whole what not to wear debate off again. But my understanding of the Princess Dining Room Attire as stated in the current 2006 Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Capri pants are worn around the pool in the day sometimes called clam diggers or cut offs or Capri pants basically they are casual long shorts so I would say no they are inappropriate for the dining room except for afternoon tea

I have to say I agree with you. I am a bit surprised that many find them acceptable as "smart casual". Karen

Capri pants are worn around the pool in the day sometimes called clam diggers or cut offs or Capri pants basically they are casual long shorts so I would say no they are inappropriate for the dining room except for afternoon tea

Capris are fine. Nice dressy top and sandals they look great. A lot of women wear them on casual night and they look sharper than some of the women in slacks. It may be a bit of a gender gap problem. Please, not meaning to start a "gap" problem (I'm in my 50's.) But things that might not have been acceptable 10 years ago, are acceptable today. Like any other outfit, it's all on how you put it together.

You may be right there Clutterlady. I am 62, so for me, capris are no more than long shorts. It could well be a gender gap for me. Oh Lordy, dont anyone tell my grandchildren PLEASE!! Karen :D

quote=Clutterlady]Capris are fine. Nice dressy top and sandals they look great. A lot of women wear them on casual night and they look sharper than some of the women in slacks. It may be a bit of a gender gap problem. Please, not meaning to start a "gap" problem (I'm in my 50's.) But things that might not have been acceptable 10 years ago, are acceptable today. Like any other outfit, it's all on how you put it together.

I think capri pants can be pulled off on non-formal nights if done right.

I know we have a quote from the Princess Cruise Book. Here is one from the Carnival FAQ section http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

"Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit;
Capri pants
"

If they are pulled off you will be in your undies. Definitely not acceptable!! :eek:

quote=Fuzzzy]I think capri pants can be pulled off on non-formal nights if done right.

I know we have a quote from the Princess Cruise Book. Here is one from the Carnival FAQ section http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

"Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit;
Capri pants
"

The fact is, "smart-casual"nights are not as dressy as they once were (or formal nights, for that matter). I saw plenty of capris on my recent Coral cruise, even on Grandmas. Most nights I saw women in slacks or capris and sporty tops. Be warned that they do keep the dining rooms slightly on the cold side, so you might want a jacket. I have two silk jackets, one white and one black, that I always take with me. I can put them over anything and they look a bit more dressed up.

From a man's point of view for what type of "Capri's" would be acceptable..

Short ones from just below the knees to the mid calf .... NO!

Longer ones from the lower calf to just above the ankle .... YES!

Material .... Most anything except denim

Color .... Solid

Also.. Fuzzy, dressing rules on Carnival is way more lax than on Princess.

Oh no, Largin! Mine were fine until you said "color: solid!" Mine are a retro print in lime, hot pink, white and black, with matching lime linen blouse. I would think that would be considered dressier than a plain old solid color. Anyway, I'm going to risk it and wear them anyway. That is one of my favorite outfits.

If they're 3 inches above the ankle, they are considered cropped pants or ankle pants. ;)

I have dressy linen, satin lined capris from Talbots that fall about 3" above the ankle, and I plan to wear them on smart casual nights with the matching linen blouse and dressy sandals. They are dressier than most "slacks."

Oh no, Largin! Mine were fine until you said "color: solid!" Mine are a retro print in lime, hot pink, white and black, with matching lime linen blouse. I would think that would be considered dressier than a plain old solid color. Anyway, I'm going to risk it and wear them anyway. That is one of my favorite outfits.

I was kinda thinking about those with the big flowers or diamonds all over :D:D

Princess:

Smart Casual Evenings:

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

----------

Carnival:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

IMHO, very similar, except Carnival doesn't mention the word "jeans". ;)

True, capris are mid calf and cropped pants are 3" above the ankle. But capris are ok and solid color....no.....the more glitzzy, the better. They look tropical and chic. Much better then those little short (very short) summer skirts some people wear. Use to be only the "teens" wore them, now I see older women in them and it's not always a pretty sight! :eek:

No matter what the bottoms look like (skirt, pants, capris) - the top should look nice, after all, what's on your legs will be hidden except for when you are walking in and out of the dining room. In 3 cruises, I have not dined with anyone who I thought was inappropriately dressed with the exception of a young girl who had jeans on the first night. She felt bad that her luggage had not made it to her room in time for dinner. We were going out of San Juan though so a lot of people boarded close to dinner anyway. It wasn't a big deal. I don't like how capris look on me so that hasn't been an issue personally.

Having said that, I'm sure everyone at my table for my whole cruise (coming up!) will be wearing jeans and muscle shirts.

suzanne911...On casual nights in the Caribbean, your outfit will be just fine. ;)

Archived