Moorea excursions?

SaveMeJebus

Is there anything particularly fun to do in Moorea? We're on the TP in July, and were wonderin if it was worth doing an excursion or just getting a car and driving around. We're water people, so hostorical tours of yawnnn... not really interested. We're already doing Marc's on Huahine and jet skis on Bora Bora.

Any ideas?

We had the same problem. I've since heard that you can get a water taxi from the IC to a motu for about $10 (not sure if that's per person). I've heard it has pretty good snorkeling. Taxi from the pier to the IC is $10 per trip not per person

We're water people too. We've booked Dr. Poole's dolphin/whale excursion. They say it's pretty 50/50 if you'll see the whales or dolphins (spinners) - but if you do, you can snorkle with them. For us - it's worth taking a chance on this tour - with the chance to snorkel with a whale. His excursion is only 3 hours - which still leaves time to hop a water taxi to a motu for some fun.

Hiro is fantastic. He is the son of one of the owners of the Club Bali Hai and his tour runs out of there. We stayed there in Feb (post TP) and the motu was great. If you arrange ahead, with others from the TP, Hiro might pick you up right where you tender into (it's on the way between the CBH and the motu).

First, swimming with the rays on a sandbar (a couple of black-tip reef sharks might visit, also).

Then, on to the motu. They fix a full lunch there: poisson cru, they grill chicken/fresh fish, fruit, beer/punch/juice, fresh coconut (cut up and shaved in a demonstration there!), etc.

The snorkleing is fantastic! As good as Bora Bora and plenty of time to do how much or little you want.

It's good enough that some staying at the CBH did the motu picnic twice during their stay. Don't take the shore excursion version, different place and much more crowded.

We took our favorite and (lest expensive excursion) right from the dock (last March). We found Stephane at the dock (there's not that many vendors there and he was easy to find), it was $35 without lunch and I think $50 with lunch. He took us over to the club Bali Hi where they picked up some more people. There was also another tour that left from Bali Hi, that followed us and did everything the same as us. We went snorkeling with the reef sharks - a BLAST. Then went and played with the stingrays. Then went over to a motu, the lunch was ok, but the Motu was really pretty, the drift snorkeling right out in front of us was AWESOME, we saw HUGE eels and monster size fish. We did not want to leave, the stingrays would swim right up to as at the shoreline. He had two boats at different times that would take you straight back to the ship. Either tour did the same thing (from the dock or from Bali Hi. Both boats were kinda packed in, but it ended up being just fine and once you got to the Motu it really didn't matter). Next time I would just bring some snacks and not pay for the lunch part. I would take this tour again in a heartbeat. Others we talked with felt the same way. We couldn't have asked for a better way to spend our last day!!! Have a great time, whatever you do.

Tammy

We did Hiro's tour last week and had as much fun as on Marc's tour. It was fantastic - you stop a few times to try to spot spinner dolphins (we didn't because it was too rough that day), see a shark feeding, feed the stingrays (with sharks in the water too) and then you head for a motu for a delicious lunch and drinks with lots of time to snorkel afterward - there was a strong current the day we were there so you could drift snorkel - and the stingrays swim right up to the beach. We'd do his tour again in a heartbeat. We booked ahead and got a discount coupon as a result, but Hiro also stands outside the TP at the start of the cruise to hand out his brochure and sign people up. Failing that, you could just book him on the dock in Moorea.

The motu tours sound like fun. If you just want to do something on your own.....maybe rent one of the go-cart type cars and go to the top of Belvedere for a great view, then down the backside ( a dirt road) towards Cooks Bay, and snorkel and beach at the Sheraton Moorea. We stayed at the Sheraton and the snorkeling there is great. The lunch menu at the Sheraton is good, or there are some "local" restaurants nearby. We saw the cruise ships in a bay not too far from the Sheraton. There is a Eurocar at the Sheraton and another spot not to far from the bay. We had sooooooo much fun driving the "buggies." Let me know if you need more info. We were a group of 6 - ages 18 - 54. Cherie

Travellgirl,

We got back to the dock where the Princess tenders leave from around 2:30 so there was plenty of time to check out the vendors on the dock (although it was pouring rain on us at that point!). The day started at 9:00 a.m. with mini vans taking us to the Bali Hai resort on Cook's Bay to get the boat from there. You're guaranteed to have a lot of fun - don't forget to get your discount coupon.

Travellgirl,

We were told that Hiro works with the TP passengers when they're in Moorea so there was no need to get a taxi to the Bali Hai resort. We just took one of the free minibuses he provided right at the dock where the Princess tenders. Does he know you're a Princess passenger? If not, make sure you tell him so you don't have to pay for a taxi all the way to the resort. Save your money for more "Tahiti Drink". We brought back 2 litres and are enjoying it in small glasses to make it last.:)

Thank you, Ocean, but we are sailing on Paul Gaugin so I don't know if they have the same deal with them. When I booked I did say what ship I was on, but this was the information he gave me. Maybe if there are a large number of people booked, he sends a van. I will make sure I have the Tahiti drink though.

Thank you.

Archived