Who gives better discounts TA or RCI direct

Hello all, help need to decide who to book my second RCI cruise. My current TA is giving extra 5% discount on 2007 cruises or should I book direct with RCI and tell I am a repeat customer. Also if I decide to use my TA how do they book the cabin that I have put on a 24hrs hold. Thanks in advance. :confused:

If you book directly with RCI and the rate goes down it's very easy to get a price adjustment, you just call. If you book with your TA you have to go through them to get the adjustment and I don't know if they charge and additional fee or not?? Probably depends on the attentiveness of your

TA.

I have heard the same thing. RCI doesn't offer any discounts to TAs. They can't get any better of a deal than what you can get if you go directly through RCI themselves. We booked directly through them as well.

Cruisin'40......for the rate adjustment......do you know if they will refund you the difference if the price goes down after you have paid in full? We are going on a cruise this December and we have our deposit down and the final payment is due in September. We got our tax refund back and want to just pay the entire trip off in full, but I am hesitant just in case they rates go down some in the mean time. Do you know or have any experience in that situation?

Thanks!

Stephanie

All of the above is true which to me makes it kinda funny, when you call RCI their recording says "we recommend the use of travel agents"- well, then, you should let them discount the rates, I also book direct with RCI cuts out the middle man

My question is if the others book thru the RCI web or called using a carbon life form for help. Did RCI carbon life form was able to scan all available cabins in a catagory (like aft D1 etc..) to fit your personnel needs than the selection from the cabins given to you when using the RCI web to book a cruise from their web page?

Thank You

You CAN get a better deal, sometimes, with an online (or local) TA!. They often volunteer the info on Senior and Residency Discounts--with RCI, you might not see them listed. Also, some TA's will include a non-monetary incentive "bonus" that can save you the cost of a dining upgrade, coupon book, etc. Just as the helpfulness of a CSR at RCI varies, so it does at any TA, on-line or "real".

The online TA I used took the info about Zip Code and age at the very beginning of the search, so every quote included discount(s) up-front. The RCI web-site kept showing a much higher price. Since it is my first cruise, I don't know whether RCI would have given me the discount if I had called. I didn't want to take the chance of losing the cabin by having to call RCI to find out.

So, it still pays to shop around, especially if you are booking far in advance!

I booked directly w/RCI this cruise since they don't allow discounts any longer...and I sure am happy I did! :) We've had nothing but a great experience by doing so. Like someone said, cuts out the middle man for sure. RCI is always available to change anything 24/7, where as if u book through TA you have to wait for them to get back to you, as RCI will not do anything if u went through TA. And also, just had someone go through TA and they would not honor price drops and some coupons...well RCI honored ALL price drops (instantly while on the phone I might add, no "let me get back to you") and coupons for us. We ended up saving over $600 with the now wonderful cabin we have and our friends are SOOL w/an inside cabin and paid soooo much more. So for us, direct w/RCI from here on out for sure...the travel insurance and excursions the TA's offer can't hold a candle to what we've saved and have had access to. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

My TA has gotten the price drops for me within minutes of my call for 2 cruises now. Never an extra price for this. Also, I had a coupon that expired 3 months prior to my booking for 100 onboard credit and she got RCC to accept it. I love using a TA, and don't see the advantage of booking online, but what ever works for ya! Happy cruising!!

Cruisin'40......for the rate adjustment......do you know if they will refund you the difference if the price goes down after you have paid in full? We are going on a cruise this December and we have our deposit down and the final payment is due in September. We got our tax refund back and want to just pay the entire trip off in full, but I am hesitant just in case they rates go down some in the mean time. Do you know or have any experience in that situation?

Thanks!

Stephanie

I was paid in full (short cruise) and they just credited my credit card and sent me an email with the changes.

Booking direct with RCI next time. So far all my TA hasn't done anything for me. She told me to board early and make sure everything is the way I want it. She linked several reservations together but said she can't request that we sit together or near each other at dinner, just to hope RCI gets us close. I am very frustrated because I can't talk to the cruise line and have to rely on her but apparently since final payment she is done. Will definitely book direct next time!!

Booking direct with RCI next time. So far all my TA hasn't done anything for me. She told me to board early and make sure everything is the way I want it. She linked several reservations together but said she can't request that we sit together or near each other at dinner, just to hope RCI gets us close. I am very frustrated because I can't talk to the cruise line and have to rely on her but apparently since final payment she is done. Will definitely book direct next time!!

I have never heard of not being able to sit w/those you travel. We have ALWAYS linked reservation #'s for dinner and flights and we have always been together, very strange. I am not sure why TA's do some of the things they do these days, since it's so competitive. I hope ya'll end up together. Go to the dining room when you board if u r not and try to get them to get you together. :)

Guest cruzr44
Hello all, help need to decide who to book my second RCI cruise. My current TA is giving extra 5% discount on 2007 cruises or should I book direct with RCI and tell I am a repeat customer. Also if I decide to use my TA how do they book the cabin that I have put on a 24hrs hold. Thanks in advance. :confused:

If you go the TA route I would be on line in your reservation with RC at the part where it says to "cancel" your cruise. When he/she is ready for the cabin # you want, cancel your reservation and it should come up for him/her.

I have my cruise booked direct with RC but got a quote for the same price but also includes a $200 on-board credit. She will honor price drops, no cancellation penalty, no booking fee, will check for resident or senior discounts that may come in the future, etc.. I haven't had her take over my booking yet because I like the fact I can call RC and talk to them. Not that I would need to as I have the cabin I want, it would just be if I found a price drop. Should I hand over the booking for $200??? HELP!!!

Luvtocrz....you have a bad TA. If you find someone who knows what they are doing and cares about you, you would be much happier.

RCCL has some funky rules for xref people who are booked through different agents. Sometimes, agents won't give their clients their real booking numbers or allow them to xref with others who book through someone else just to try to get people to book together. Royal Caribbean requires that all parties and all agents agree to the crossreferencing and every agent has to inform RCCL that they are ok with it. They also make it difficult to xref someone booked individually with others booked through the group department.

It's a pain, but I care that my clients get all the service they need. I wish people wouldn't judge all travel agents alike. Some of us are here for you.

If you go the TA route I would be on line in your reservation with RC at the part where it says to "cancel" your cruise. When he/she is ready for the cabin # you want, cancel your reservation and it should come up for him/her.

I have my cruise booked direct with RC but got a quote for the same price but also includes a $200 on-board credit. She will honor price drops, no cancellation penalty, no booking fee, will check for resident or senior discounts that may come in the future, etc.. I haven't had her take over my booking yet because I like the fact I can call RC and talk to them. Not that I would need to as I have the cabin I want, it would just be if I found a price drop. Should I hand over the booking for $200??? HELP!!!

If you got the cabin you want and everything looks ok why not get the $200

It is not true that ta's are no longer allowed to discount cruises. RCCL is allowing it's top cruise selling agencies to offer 10% in cruise cruise credits to be used while on board. Not all sailings, but specific dates. We aren't allowed to mention specific ta's here but they are out there, just check the biggest names.

I had booked cabins directly through RCCL. I noticed a price drop after final payment, called and they credited my credt card. After that I noticed another cabin more mid-ship had opened up and wanted to change cabins, no problem RCCL took care of me and sends email confirmations of everything.

I have tried it both ways and to me a good TA is still the best way to go. As far as discounting, my TA will be getting me a nice on board credit for my upcoming cruise in December on the Jewel. To me this is just as good as a savings on the booking price plus they are doing all of the work for me.

I have found that a good TA will take care of their loyal customers with great service and good fair prices. I am not one of those people who sit at a computer for 100 hours jumping from site to site to save fifty cents over another agency. My agent called me last year to let me know that my price had dropped on my cabin and that my credit card had been credited for the amount. I did not have to watch for price drops or do one thing to get this price reduction. He did it for me.

If you book your cruise today directly with RCI you will pay whatever the current price is. If you have a TA do it, the cost will be the same, unless the TA has already booked group space earlier when the price was lower. In such a case, you benefit by getting a lower price and an individual agent who will handle all the details of your booking. A good TA, when they become aware of a drop in the price, will see that your price is adjusted and will not charge a fee to do so. If you learn of a price reduction, you should be able to call your TA and get it. In some, but not all cases, the TA may learn of the reduction on his or her own, but if (s)he books a lot of cruises it may be difficult for them personally to keep track of all of the prices all of the time. If there is a problem, you can deal with your TA and get it resolved. If you book directly with the cruiseline, you are somewhat at the mercy of whomever answers your call. Just call the cruiseline with the same question three separate times and see how many different answers you can get. Finally, if you end up in dispute with the cruiseline over some aspect of your cruise, who do you think will better represent your position, an employee of the cruiseline, or an independent TA who probably values your business than a large cruiseline?

If you book your cruise today directly with RCI you will pay whatever the current price is. If you have a TA do it, the cost will be the same, unless the TA has already booked group space earlier when the price was lower. In such a case, you benefit by getting a lower price and an individual agent who will handle all the details of your booking. A good TA, when they become aware of a drop in the price, will see that your price is adjusted and will not charge a fee to do so. If you learn of a price reduction, you should be able to call your TA and get it. In some, but not all cases, the TA may learn of the reduction on his or her own, but if (s)he books a lot of cruises it may be difficult for them personally to keep track of all of the prices all of the time. If there is a problem, you can deal with your TA and get it resolved. If you book directly with the cruiseline, you are somewhat at the mercy of whomever answers your call. Just call the cruiseline with the same question three separate times and see how many different answers you can get. Finally, if you end up in dispute with the cruiseline over some aspect of your cruise, who do you think will better represent your position, an employee of the cruiseline, or an independent TA who probably values your business more than a large cruiseline?

Remember there are other factors besides price that you should consider in deciding how to book your cruise

Daeling with the cruise line has been very good for me. When it comes to prices there are not different answers. If the price goes down you can call yourself and get it taken care of immediatly. I like to book directly with RCl because if you don't they won't talk to you about your reservation.

Guest cruzr44
A big Thankyou to everyone for the information. I think I probably go the TA route. My main concern/still alittle confused how can the TA book the cabin I have put on hold.

Is it on hold through RC? Your TA should know how to do that, just let her know you have a specific cabin on hold. I did that once (over the phone) and like I said above, when the TA is ready to put your cabin number in her computer you cancel the hold on your end so that cabin now comes up as available. I'm probably not making sense. Good luck!

Archived