Who gives better discounts TA or RCI direct

Hello all, just quick note to let you know that I booked my 2nd cruise via my TA who gave me a 6% discount off RCI current price. RCI could not give me any discount despite being a repeat customer and advised me to contact Crown and Anchor who also was unable to give any discount because I had not been on my first RCI cruise yet and therefore was not actually a member. Cruzr44 my TA asked me to telephone RCI to give my permission to release my held cabin, so that the booking can be made by my TA on my behalf. The 6% discount will now help toward my flights. Again a Thanks to all.

Just like anything else, there are good and bad TAs! I love to cruise and up until a few years ago had a TA that I loved. She had a baby, and got out of the business. I decided, as much as I liked to cruise, and know what I like and don't like, I went into business to be the best that I could be!!! It didn't take long until word got out about me becoming a TA. The phone never stops ringing, and I truly do care about making each persons cruising experience the best it can be!!! I constantly am saving people money by watching for price drops, senior specials, promo's, and group space....all this with great customer service and first hand knowledge. I also tell people when they call me, if I know of someone that has group space and can save them money where I can't....then here is their number. My thought is they will come back to me because I am fair, and really have their best interests in mind. More times than not, they check and don't like the "attitude" they get from the other agency, or lack of knowledge, and they stay with me anyways.

You just have to shop around. Once you get a good agent, stick with them. Saving a few dollars up front, can end up costing more in the end. My theory is, it is mostly about customer service, not how much can I make in commission. I feel repeat satisfied customers, and word of mouth will keep my customer following up. Follow up after the cruise is important. This way I gain extra knowledge of how I can improve, as well as what about that ship or cruise line I can share with other people. Matching people up with the right ship/line can make or break a cruise!

Happy Cruising!!!!

Cruisin'40......for the rate adjustment......do you know if they will refund you the difference if the price goes down after you have paid in full? Do you know or have any experience in that situation? Thanks! Stephanie

I paid my final balance in mid March for a cruise on Jun 4th. I received my second adjustment just a few days ago. Both adjustments came after I paid my final balance.

I heard you can keep getting adjustments up until the final documents go in the mail....then it's too late.

I've always used various travel agents on all my previous cruises, but for my upcoming Dec cruise, I decided to book with RC directly. I found that I didn't like having to go thru my travel agent for price reductions and initially being told a reduction was not possible! My travel agent didn't even know the prices went down! I was not very impressed with their knowledge or service, and this agency is one of the larger ones!!

A big Thankyou to everyone for the information. I think I probably go the TA route. My main concern/still alittle confused how can the TA book the cabin I have put on hold.

At any point in a booking you can transfer it to your TA. All you have to do is tell RCL who you want to have it. This can be done either before or after deposit.

I've cruised on Royal Caribbean twice. The first time we booked with a travel agent and found out while on board that we had been totally ripped off -- so much so that we complained to RCI about the agents and Royal Caribbean sent us vouchers to use on a future cruise. Unfortunately they expired before we could use them :(

The next time I tried a different travel agent, but found out my best deal was right there on the Royal Caribbean web site. I booked on the Internet and completed the deal with a RCCL rep on the phone. We saved hundreds of dollars over our first cruise.

If you are using a TA and find a better room online put that room "on hold", copy the reservation # and give it to your TA. I did this when a hump cabin opened up late one Friday night on a long weekend. The hold was good for about 5 days, so it didn't matter that my TA was out of town. All worked well.

Some issues to consider besides good service are:

1. penalty for cancelling or transferring to another agent/agency [there shouldn't be one before final payment]

2. insist on receiving any and all price drops and "good deals"

3. if they offer on-board credit, will they take any or all of it away if there is a price drop?

After doing all the research and room switches to get an acceptable cabin I shopped TAs for best "perks" and chose one who offered $200 OBC and promised to honor any and all price drops.

When the price dropped $100 after final payment the TA first claimed it did not apply to me, too bad. I then called RCI and asked if the price drop was valid for existing bookings and had them send me an email stating that it did. When I forwarded the email the TA gave me the $100 discount, but warned me that if it happened again I would lose my OBC. I never responded with any of my thoughts on her threat.

I couldn't help but wonder if she would have yanked my travel insurance or promised wine, etc. No further discounts were offered so I'll never know what would have happened! Personally I'd be content with straight cash or credit card refund, rather than OBC etc.

Can TA's see all the rooms that available? Or do they see the same rooms that we can see on RCI's website? The reason I am asking is that a TA told me that certain rooms weren't available when they actually were. Can someone please tell me how this all works?

Thank you!

[quote name=

The next time I tried a different travel agent, but found out my best deal was right there on the Royal Caribbean web site. I booked on the Internet and completed the deal with a RCCL rep on the phone. We saved hundreds of dollars over our first cruise.[/quote]

Cruise prices change, that doesn't mean squat...

I have used the same on line agency for my last 3 cruises. And have always saved over RCL. Even after RCL's latest rule of not alowing TA's to discount. My TA just gave us an onboard credit. 50 bucks per person. I thought gee I'll have to buy something in the shops to get the credit. Nope they took it of my charges...:) Love my online TA..

RCCL will refund you if there is a rate adjustment, but you have to stay on top of it, and may have to call them and bring it to their attention. This is where travel agents come in handy. They stay on top of it and make the calls for you.

I have heard the same thing. RCI doesn't offer any discounts to TAs. They can't get any better of a deal than what you can get if you go directly through RCI themselves. We booked directly through them as well.

Cruisin'40......for the rate adjustment......do you know if they will refund you the difference if the price goes down after you have paid in full? We are going on a cruise this December and we have our deposit down and the final payment is due in September. We got our tax refund back and want to just pay the entire trip off in full, but I am hesitant just in case they rates go down some in the mean time. Do you know or have any experience in that situation?

Thanks!

Stephanie

I just don't see how busy travel agents can keep as close an eye on all their bookings as we can ourselves. I regularly check our bookings and it isn't a big deal that takes a lot of time. It has saved us literally thousands of dollars over our cruising history. Many times price changes happen over weekends or holidays and if our category is close to a sell out we don't have the luxury of waiting until our TA is back in the office the next working day to take advantage of the change.

Dealing directly with RCI has been no problem for us. The price is the same most of the time. Their service people have been very willing to let me know the available cabins (even the popular ones) whenever I ask. Price adjustments are made easily, I can link my own reservation number with any others I choose, select my dinner seating, all from my desk. No cancelation or change fees (out of the penalty period) no hassles.

We use a TA. We started with an online agency, and are now using a real live one, which I prefer for RCI (haven't tried him for another line yet). He's getting us a couple of hundred dollar discount over the current RCI rates for our Jewel OTS N. Europe cruise. RCI will offer incentives to TAs for certain cabins on certain sailings, and we just got lucky.

He also confirmed our feeling that RCI is a better choice for us than Celebrity at this time in our lives. Given the cost of the cruise, it's good to have somebody who can tell me the differences between the two lines that matter to us (not that Cruise Critic isn't an invaluable resource, but we're all strangers here, and the TA has at least met me).

I just don't see how busy travel agents can keep as close an eye on all their bookings as we can ourselves. I regularly check our bookings and it isn't a big deal that takes a lot of time. It has saved us literally thousands of dollars over our cruising history. Many times price changes happen over weekends or holidays and if our category is close to a sell out we don't have the luxury of waiting until our TA is back in the office the next working day to take advantage of the change.

Dealing directly with RCI has been no problem for us. The price is the same most of the time. Their service people have been very willing to let me know the available cabins (even the popular ones) whenever I ask. Price adjustments are made easily, I can link my own reservation number with any others I choose, select my dinner seating, all from my desk. No cancelation or change fees (out of the penalty period) no hassles.

You make valid points, although calling your travel agent when you see a price reduction or want to make any of those other adjustments, will usually get the same results. Of course, some feel that having an agent deal with these matters is a better use of their time. What you haven't factored in, however, is how likely is it that the customer service representative will be your advocate should you have a dispute with the cruiseline about your cruise. Good travel agents don't charge cancellation or charge fees either, and can give you good information about more than one cruiseline or vacation option. When everything is straightforward and simple, dealing directly with the cruiseline is certainly an acceptable option. When glitches arise, however, a knowledgeable travel agent who is able to get the attention of the people at the level where solutions can be reached can be invaluable.

After reading these responses, it seems that RCI game of leveling the playing field for all TAs(mom & pop and the big agencies) have been to the actual benefit of the company itself.

Now, many people who used to use a TA are booking directly with RCI. The commission that would have gone to a TA goes to RCIs bottomline. For TAs, this new policy is a business killer.

I normally sail Princess and I love the TA discounts.

After reading these responses, it seems that RCI game of leveling the playing field for all TAs(mom & pop and the big agencies) have been to the actual benefit of the company itself.

Now, many people who used to use a TA are booking directly with RCI. The commission that would have gone to a TA goes to RCIs bottomline. For TAs, this new policy is a business killer.

I normally sail Princess and I love the TA discounts.

The last time I read anything about this topic, most cruiseline executives seemed to acknowledge that a significantly high percentage of their business comes through travel agents and they recognize the additional costs they would incur if they generate more than a limited amount of direct bookings. The personnel and overhead costs related to direct booking also goes to the bottomline, but not in a positive fashion.

The last time I read anything about this topic, most cruiseline executives seemed to acknowledge that a significantly high percentage of their business comes through travel agents and they recognize the additional costs they would incur if they generate more than a limited amount of direct bookings. The personnel and overhead costs related to direct booking also goes to the bottomline, but not in a positive fashion.

...and that is the reason that when you call Royal Caribbean they request you contact a travel agent. They do not have the means to handle all the reservations, nor do they want to. The training of these res agents is very costly and the turnover is high. In addition, when one of "their own" make a mistake, it is more expensive to fix the mistake . Much less expensive to tell you to contact your travel agent.

You make valid points, although calling your travel agent when you see a price reduction or want to make any of those other adjustments, will usually get the same results. Of course, some feel that having an agent deal with these matters is a better use of their time. What you haven't factored in, however, is how likely is it that the customer service representative will be your advocate should you have a dispute with the cruiseline about your cruise. Good travel agents don't charge cancellation or charge fees either, and can give you good information about more than one cruiseline or vacation option. When everything is straightforward and simple, dealing directly with the cruiseline is certainly an acceptable option. When glitches arise, however, a knowledgeable travel agent who is able to get the attention of the people at the level where solutions can be reached can be invaluable.

I agree the service of a good TA can be helpful, and we have used them at times too, especially if group rates apply. The point I was really trying to make was that TA's are not always available and working when a change can be made and that waiting for an available TA -vs- controling a booking directly can mean the difference of actually getting a price change or not or a choice cabin that has been cancelled and becomes available. Many travelers, us included feel comfortable enough in our experience to deal with "glitches" if and when they happen ourselves.

Archived