Food free on the cruise?

Avalonpf

Yes it is! The only food that would be additional is if you have dinner at the Supper Club if one is on the ship. There would be an additional surcharge pperson of about $30 depending...I hear it is very worth it if you have the opportunity.

Also there is usual a cafe or coffee shop that will serve cappuccino's pasteries etc, this is extra. I never bought anything from there.

Dining room serves all three meals as much as you'd like to eat and there is the grill, buffet, deli, pizza etc available all day an included in price of the cruise. Also a midnight buffet.

Hope this helped...

Yes, all of your meals and snacks are free including room service. Except if you dine in the supper club (not all ships have a supper club), there is a surchage of $30 pp. There is also coffee bar on some ships where items are available for purchase. Other than that everything else is free. There is free food available 24 hours a day.

Enjoy your cruise!

Avalon - Supper club and specialty coffee/dessert shop explained in the above posts. (I've never done either - too much all over the ship to pay extra.):D

Everything else on the ship is included in the cost of the cruise. The formal dining rooms, the Lido buffet, room service (except alcoholic beverages and soft drinks), Pizzeria, ice cream and yogurt machines. Pizza, ice cream, yogurt - available 24 hrs. a day, as well as room service. Sometimes, they set up a "make-your-own-sundae" bar, and have tables of desserts mid-afternoon on Lido, as well. Believe me - there's NEVER a shortage of food.

Also - there is "Tea Time" on sea day afternoons, with little desserts, tea sandwiches. Comp champagne at the art auctions.

In the dining room (but not at Lido buffet), you can have complimentary espresso and cappuccino with each meal. And - don't miss the Captain's Party. Everybody's invited, and it's usually the second night on board (Formal night). Comp cocktails and hors d'oeuvres!:)

The only thing you have to pay for is liquor, beer, soft drinks, and food at the specialty restaurants.

True, the Sodas or POPS are a charge, you can get a Soda Card for around 32.00 for your kids, but there is alot of types of juice up on lido deck for free.

I believe that kids under the age of 12 years can get free soda during dinner times only.

I've heard that some drinks at the Captain's Party are complimentary, but some are not. Does anyone have information to clear this one up for me please? Thanks!!

Well, I am not sure exactly what you want to order, but all the drinks are free - period...

During the Cap's party and past guest parties, you can order whatever you want free. However it will take forever to get it. I go to the bar that is servicing the party and order 25 year old Scotch from the bartenders. I lay a $10 on the bar to start with.[TIP] If I have 2 drinks I'm still way ahead.

Dan

I've heard that some drinks at the Captain's Party are complimentary, but some are not. Does anyone have information to clear this one up for me please? Thanks!!
There will be servers coming around with a tray of misc. drinks and Hors D'oeuvers (all free). Some have reported they were able to order any drink they wanted, but on our last cruise we were told just what was on the tray..... and that was OK. Perhaps if we had went to the bar where they were getting the drinks we could have had something else made up, but they were pretty busy. If you slip the server a $ or two you'll have a pretty steady supply of drinks coming your way.

John

I was wondering why in the thread of "secrets they usually don't tell you" they said to avoid what the waitresses are carting around and order directly from the bar meant...I thought you had to pay for what the waitresses had, but if you went to the bar, that was "complimentary"...ahh, so much to learn. Thank you everyone for all your help!!

Some cruise ships also have a champagne bar with caviar -- and the caviar is extra! The coffee/pastry bar is a charge to your Sign & Sail card. Prices are comparable to coffees and goodies at Barnes & Noble. The Lido (casual dining area) and dining room food is free. Room service is free, but tipping $1-$2 per person is typical. You can choose between a soda card or paying for individual sodas, if you're a soda drinker. (I usually enjoy the free ice tea in the Lido area and in the dining room.) Beer, wine, etc costs extra. Watch out for the great drinks with the frou frou umbrellas at the sail-away...the waiters are wandering around with them, and they are NOT free...

One of the reasons we like Carnival so much is that it always seems that food is available in the Lido area, even if it's pizza/calzones and soft-serve. We've been on two other ships with other cruiselines where (gasp!) there were brief gaps in food-availability, and we had to order from room service. Should we have a thread on how many pounds the average cruiser gains in a week?????

ALL cocktails are complimentary at the Captain's Party, whether you choose them from the trays or go to the bar set up in that room. Dan and John are being nice in tipping - however, it is definitely NOT expected at this party.:)

at "tea time" is there a charge or it complementry? I have never tried it.

Don't forget the sushi bar at 5pm and the Ice Cream sundaes at 3pm on sea days...all free but not free to the waist. There is so much to eat that by Wednesday, I am usually slowing down and thinking about exercising... and my favorite pizza, goat cheese and Portabello mushrooms...yummy!

Jan

at "tea time" is there a charge or it complementry? I have never tried it.Jan

No charge. Just a little amenity Carnival offers. It's a nice quiet break in the day of so many activities. There will be an announcement in the Capers.

Tea Time is held in one of the smaller lounges, usually with either a piano player or small combo playing quietly in the background. White-gloved attendants serving from silver service of coffee/tea. Small tea sandwiches, petit fours, tiny cookies, sometimes scones w/lemon curd. (Not 'High Tea', but very close.)

You don't have to be 'dressed up' to attend. Since it's around 3pm, I'm in my shorts, and so are most others. It seems strange to me to attend 'tea' in such informal clothing, but ... it's done. I wouldn't miss Tea Time.:)

Archived