CB - Bringing Hangers and Coffeemakers?

CrusinAgain

Actually, I don't think you are lazy. I feel sad for you that you have a coffee addiction. I would liken it to cigarette smoking, drugs, or anything else that causes one to obsess over something so trivial. What do you do on long airplane flights? Have you ever asked the stewardess to brew your own for coffee you? Not trying to be smart, just curious how you handle your addiction.

Yep, you just don't understand this at all. It is not the quantity but the quality that we are after. Whether we drink one cup or 20 per day, it really doesn't matter. We just enjoy a good cup of coffee. As for long plane trips, the coffee served is nothing like the coffee on Princess ships. I just can not get past the smell of Princess coffee, let alone the taste of it, and neither can DH.

A long plane trip can maybe last 14 hours (as when we flew to Australia or Asia) but a cruise we take can last up to three weeks or longer and that is just too long to go without actual coffee for either of us.

I just can not get past the smell of Princess coffee, let alone the taste of it, and neither can DH.

As my friend PB says, either I’m easily pleased or have no taste. I like a good cup of coffee and while what Princess serves gratis isn’t at the top of the list, I don’t think it’s that bad. And I’m glad of that fact because there’s no way I could fit a coffee maker and all the accoutrements that go with it in my luggage.

As my friend PB says, either I’m easily pleased or have no taste. I like a good cup of coffee and while what Princess serves gratis isn’t at the top of the list, I don’t think it’s that bad. And I’m glad of that fact because there’s no way I could fit a coffee maker and all the accoutrements that go with it in my luggage.

You always say exactly what I am thinking:) .

I must be a woman of no taste, as I think the Princess coffee smells

good.

I used to drink any and all coffees including espressos, Kona, Folger's.

As long as the coffee didn't look like tea, I drank it.

What type of coffee does Princess serve? I thought I read it was some

kind of a syrup or something.

I love the smell of all coffees. Just can't drink 'em anymore.

we always end up on either the coffee debate or jeans in the dining room...and here we are again :D

We purchased a small coffee maker that fits nicely in our luggage. I will gladly give up a pair of shoes if I know I will have a good cup of coffee in the morning. Of course, it is all subject to taste. I happen to dislike Starbucks, I know I am practically alone in that. Some people like Princess' coffee. We are all individual.

And as far as "addiction" goes.....if I were only going for a day or two, I would not worry about it. However, a WEEK without good coffee is not going to make my vacation a very nice one. I am a NY girl and I live on the border of Canada. Both NY and Canada have GREAT coffee. I am a little spoiled I guess.

On my recent Regal cruise, my cabin steward brought hot coffee every morning at 7:15 am. Do you need coffee earlier than that on vacation? I thought the point of being on vacation was being able to sleep in. He also brought chocolate croissants to room every morning. Maybe you all should try the Regal?

What does any of this have to do with the TASTE of Princess coffee? As toto said, you just don't understand. Personally, what ever equipment they use to make that terrible coffee and the Regal for that matter should be sent to ship breaking yards.

Both NY and Canada have GREAT coffee. I am a little spoiled I guess

Jennew, Have you had Tim Hortons from Canada? I don't drink coffee but DH loves his Tim Hortons. ( I do love their iced cappucinno though.) Everywhere you go in Ontario, there are long line-ups for Tim Hortons. It is coming to America, folks!

What does any of this have to do with the TASTE of Princess coffee? As toto said, you just don't understand. Personally, what ever equipment they use to make that terrible coffee and the Regal for that matter should be sent to ship breaking yards.

Wow – what does the taste of coffee have to do with Regal Princess, which, if one has any taste, would be a ship highly appreciated.

I never said anything about the taste of the coffee. This is the post I was responding to

As far as room service, yeah, we tried that before but true coffee addicts want their fix as soon as they wake up and there is no room service on the last day on Princess cruises.
Maybe you should try sailing on Crystal Cruise Line.

Jennew, Have you had Tim Hortons from Canada? I don't drink coffee but DH loves his Tim Hortons. ( I do love their iced cappucinno though.) Everywhere you go in Ontario, there are long line-ups for Tim Hortons. It is coming to America, folks!

LOL...we ONLY drink Tim Hortons. We have them all over here in NY. I bring the ground stuff to brew on our cruises. Even took it on our honeymoon. I LOVE TIM HORTONS!!!:D

After reading this thread, I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. First, I have never taken a coffee maker on any cruise, whether it has been on Princess or any other cruise line. The reason is because you could always get fresh brewed coffee at the Lobby Bar or on some ships in all the bars. Good coffee, not the extract-type stuff in the Horizon Court. And, of course this real coffee was FREE. Then, last month, Princess began charging $1.25 for coffee in the bars that was brewed. Not specialty coffee--just plain old fresh brew. So, the efforts to increase the bottom line are somewhat counter to their efforts to reduce the risk of fire by disallowing coffee makers. IMO, I think that this recent change wasn't the smartest thing that Princess could have done.

Curt:(

There are at least 4 of you here that cruise alot!

How in the heck do you do it? Are you TA's that get a good rate?

I can see the Regal people living next to the Regal port that like that ship and don't have to pay air fare but how can the rest of you afford so many cruises? We have been doing balconies and now I am starting to wonder instead of us splurging on balconies since we love them so much if we could do more cruises by doing outsides or insides. Is this how the big cruisers do it?

A french press would be easy to pack...they even have them in travel mug style where you put your favorite ground coffee on the bottom...add your hot water let it sit for 2-4 minutes...take the sippy lid with the magic plunger attached and press. They come in hard plastic and stainless so they are sturdy for travel.

Now the question is where do you get boiling water?

There are at least 4 of you here that cruise alot!

How in the heck do you do it? Are you TA's that get a good rate?

I can see the Regal people living next to the Regal port that like that ship and don't have to pay air fare but how can the rest of you afford so many cruises? We have been doing balconies and now I am starting to wonder instead of us splurging on balconies since we love them so much if we could do more cruises by doing outsides or insides. Is this how the big cruisers do it?

Yes, book inside cabins and hope for upgrades. Have no children, so try to avoid summer months and holiday cruising which usually cost more. Take a lot of 7 and 10 Mex Riv cruises, using cheap airfares from Oakland to LA. Use frequent flyer miles for free airfare to Fort Laud. When I am really on a budget, stay away from the art auctions and expensive ship tours. We are usually so busy working, we don't go out to dinner or the movies a lot. We would rather put the money towards our vacation. The best thing is that all the movies they show on the ship, we have never seen:) . It is very sad if the upgrades don't come through:( . I usually try to book an inside by the mini-suites so that at least I have easy access to the decks and pool.

Yes, book inside cabins and hope for upgrades. Have no children, so try to avoid summer months and holiday cruising which usually cost more. Take a lot of 7 and 10 Mex Riv cruises, using cheap airfares from Oakland to LA. Use frequent flyer miles for free airfare to Fort Laud. When I am really on a budget, stay away from the art auctions and expensive ship tours. We are usually so busy working, we don't go out to dinner or the movies a lot. We would rather put the money towards our vacation. The best thing is that all the movies they show on the ship, we have never seen:) . It is very sad if the upgrades don't come through:( . I usually try to book an inside by the mini-suites so that at least I have easy access to the decks and pool.

PB, great ideas... in fact, we do the same thing. But we prefer the caribbean over the mexican riv. This way, we can do 2-3 cruises a year... and we're still in our 30's (well, for a few more months anyway!).

I live in the Bay Area – Regal Princess uses San Francisco for her home port only during her Alaska season. The airfare question is moot because I use air miles. Once I got my first balcony upgrade on my first Sun Princess cruise I was hooked and can’t see sailing without one. I usually book at least 8 months in advance so I get no flash promotion prices and I more often than not sail single so I pay the supplement.

The answer? Good credit.

I live in the Bay Area – Regal Princess uses San Francisco for her home port only during her Alaska season. The airfare question is moot because I use air miles. Once I got my first balcony upgrade on my first Sun Princess cruise I was hooked and can’t see sailing without one. I usually book at least 8 months in advance so I get no flash promotion prices and I more often than not sail single so I pay the supplement.

The answer? Good credit.

So the 'tini party is in your stateroom?;)

Such drama over a cup of coffee!! While I agree that the coffee served on Princess lacks that special just brewed in your own kitchen kind of taste and smell, it is really not that bad. For me(and I am a serious coffee drinker) it is not worth the effort to bring my own coffee maker and have to mess with grounds, measuring, washing out the pot, getting rid of the grounds etc. Room service works well. However, with that said, it is a subjective matter, and as long as the coffee makers are not a fire hazard, do what you want.

Archived