Kids, kids and too many kids

Set2Sail

I started writing a long post about my experience on the 4/13 Whisper San Juan to San Juan but decided to get to the point. The staff was fabulous, the ship beautiful, food divine, but the supposed 48 children aboard was unacceptable. If I wanted to go on a Disney cruise, I would. They rang doorbells at inappropriate hours, overwhelmed the pool with splashing and yelling, wore diapers in the pool/hot tub against policy, spoiled romantic dinners with crying, and were generally a nuisance. There were a few well behaved children that even dressed for formal night, and if the rest of them were like that, maybe 48 of them would have been ok. Get real. It would have been the perfect cruise if Silversea had limited the children to an acceptable number. I also blame the parents. Who would put their kids on a cruise with nothing to do? That's just cruel.

I will cruise SS again, but I will tell them that if there are too many children aboard, I expect a refund. SS is too expensive to put up with rude children. BTW, I don't have children and expect parents to teach them some level of manners if they are to be tolerated by a ship full of adults who don't want them there.

Jen

(positive comments on the trip will come later. I just had to get this out)

:mad: It's really a shame, but really it's not the kids' fault, it all falls on parents who are negligent in their responsibilities. They just turn the kids loose.

:cool: However, having no kids, or a minimal number of them is no guarantee that you will not encounter the "other menaces" aboard cruise ships.

:) So you don't want to cruise with kids??? Try HAL, but you will encounter many canes and some wheel chairs along with the three wheel electric scooters. We recently met up with the "Grandmother From Hell" on one of HAL's ships. It all depends on luck!

:cool: You pays your money and you takes your choice!

That give the kid's who do the right thing a bad name.

When we first started considering our cruise, SS suggested a carribean itinerary might be better because it was more likely to have other kids due to school break. Minor difficulties

1. it's not our break

and

2. We didn't want to go to the carribean.

Personally I think anyone who takes little kids ie under about 8 is asking for trouble. Most kids at that age don't have the capacity to behave in what is considered appropriate for long periods of time and they are too young to put to bed and leave alone! They also haven't reached lounge lizard age unless they're in front of the box. At least if they are a bit older they are often happy to sit and read.

Parents who allow kids to use public restaurants/private areas as a games venue ( this applies to any hotel land or sea) should be taken aside and asked to control their kids by who ever is in charge.

Unfortunately limiting to an acceptable number wont solve the problem because you could have gotten the worst 10 for example, not the ones who were well behaved although it would have reduced some of the stress I'm sure.

A few upmarket resorts here have made a minimum age of 10 and it seems to work pretty well. They also charge full freight no child discount!

My commiserations to you....

I started writing a long post about my experience on the 4/13 Whisper San Juan to San Juan but decided to get to the point. The staff was fabulous, the ship beautiful, food divine, but the supposed 48 children aboard was unacceptable. If I wanted to go on a Disney cruise, I would. They rang doorbells at inappropriate hours, overwhelmed the pool with splashing and yelling, wore diapers in the pool/hot tub against policy, spoiled romantic dinners with crying, and were generally a nuisance. There were a few well behaved children that even dressed for formal night, and if the rest of them were like that, maybe 48 of them would have been ok. Get real. It would have been the perfect cruise if Silversea had limited the children to an acceptable number. I also blame the parents. Who would put their kids on a cruise with nothing to do? That's just cruel.

quote]

Parents are to blame. Kids are kids, and if you put 48 of them together, they get roudy. If you don't want spoiled brats, you just need to avoid cruising one week itenaries in Caribbean during school holidays - two weeks around Easter, American ski week in the middle of February and the holiday season.

":) So you don't want to cruise with kids??? Try HAL, but you will encounter many canes and some wheel chairs along with the three wheel electric scooters. We recently met up with the "Grandmother From Hell" on one of HAL's ships. It all depends on luck!"

I beg your pardon. I just spent 21 days on the Silver Wind, Athens - Las Palmas. The ship was packed with wheel chairs, canes and walkers. I would walk down the hallway to my cabin and the smell reminded me of a nursing home.

An earlier cruise during the summer was different, with a nice somewhat balanced range of age groups. Some kids. But this time, all those post I've seen on here about "am I to young for Silversea," really hit me.

It really wasn't an issue for me, but more of a balanced range of age groups would be a lot nicer. Children should not be on Silversea, its cruel for everyone. On a side note, the Silver Wind, the Panorama lounge should be non-smoking.

Better get used to it, Jimpeyton, the baby boomers are aging!!!! My generation has been phased out (the greatest) but if you can still go cruising and enjoy it, why not?? Some of us don't whine, love kids (in moderation) and are not grumpy!

On any cruiseline, there will ALWAYS be a great deal of children during Christmas week, Spring Break, and August in the Mediterranean (European vacation month).

If you don't want kids on your cruise, then cruise a different time--just as most adults would choose a different time than Spring Break to step foot in Ft. Lauderdale or Cancún, although children on Silversea, no matter how much they will be kids, are going to behave like the Spring Break crowd.

And I'd probably take those kids in a second over the way many 30 year olds behave on Carnival Cruises to Mexico or the Bahamas.

If you sail the Med in August, you will mostly likely run into Mr. LeFevbre, his beautiful wife, their children, and an entourage of friends and family they bring on the cruise -- with many children as well.

The kids they bring on the cruise fall into the same category that you're all complaining about -- crawling around in diapers by the pool and whirlpool with regard to the infants, and making a little noise and livening up the pool area with regard to the older ones, and also livening up the Panorama Lounge at night a bit (which could definitely use some livening up anyway).

Another discussion would be whether a Silversea, versus a mainstream, cruiseline is appropriate for children, due to the lack of activities for them, and whether it is actually a little selfish of parents who now belong to the ME generation to bring their kids on a Silversea cruise just to satisfy their own desire to be on a luxury line -- while their kids would probably be much happier on the Voyager of the Seas or the NCL Jewel.

Many years ago, nobody heard of cruising and it was reserved for transatlantic travel.

If all of us want cruising to be popular, and thus become more competitive, innovative and creative as it does become more and more popular, then we'll just have to live with the kids as they are an important part of our lives and our future.

Uta and I have been on the Shadow in the Med in summer -- lots of kids onboard, but still plenty of space for everyone. It never feels crowded.

Regards,

Gunther and Uta

This is a very interesting thread. You should go over to the Celebrity Cruise thread and look at a review of a very recent cruise on Celebrity's Mercury.

On this thread, a mother took her infant on the vessel and was extremely upset that the formula provided by Celebrity was wrong. She gained sympathy from a woman who is now pregnant, and will deliver before her cruise in December, and is taking her new born on the cruise.

Several of us pointed out it was inappropriate to take infants on a cruise, that the parents had the responsibility to ensure that the proper formula and other needs acceptable to their infant be provided, and that we would not tolerate wailing and howling in the cabin next door to us. Of course, we were flamed, and one poster described seniors in general as "grumpy" and "drunk".

I have looked at Silversea's requirements, no infants under 1 year of age, and they retain the right to limit the number of children under age 3. In my opinion, that should be revised. I do agree that 48 children on a vessel that has 386 pax is way way too much.

All I was trying to say is that, most of the kids we have ever seen on lines such as Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn have behaved better than some of the "adults" we have seen on lines like Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity.

As far as taking an infant on ANY cruise -- I personally believe that practice borders on child abuse.

As adults, we often get seasick, undergo claustrophobia, and have many different reactions on ocean vessels that we do not have on land. But at least we can speak and express our feelings as to what is happening to us. I personally do not believe we should subject an infant who cannot even talk to that type of environment.

I will now probably get flamed as an infant-hater, which I am not, but that is my opinion.

Gunther

Where do you go on a cruise ship to walk the boards at 3am when the little darling has an earache or is cutting teeth that wont disturb other people.

How can you enjoy yourself having to keep eye on said infant as they crawl around the pool area (much better to find somehwere that at least has some childcare).

Travelling with an infant is hard enough but you certainly cant expect the world to change for you. Nobody else should have to put associated negatives of your child if the place is not geared for them and these days there are plenty of baby friendly venues.

As most of you know we travel with the kids (read teenager + soon to be 12) but if I thought they needed or wanted activities (they HATE kids clubs usually because of other poorly behaved kids and activites that just aren't their thing) I would not have considered SS for one second. They have used kids club in the past for one visit just to get to know someone and then not gone again for the remaining two weeks of the holiday.

My son's first question about the Ship was "does it have a library" followed quickly by "ïs there Chess in the games area". My daughters first comment..Which Spa treatment can I have!:(

A big question really is at what age does a child become an adult...does it magically happen at 12, 15 or 18 (I think for some guys it never happens at all:rolleyes: ) or does it depend on the individual and their own level of maturity as well as their upbringing.' My two kids stood aghast as an adult at an upmarket quiet exclusive resort was running and bombing into the pool drowning everyone and their belongings. Most people were too polite to make a comment. I heard my two say from two lounges away..Children here don't behave that badly. The same person was also loud and obnoxious in the restaurant calling across at waiters and calling them by saying "boy".

If we had a choice we would most likely travel without the kids because we know it's a far more enjoyable (and less pricey trip...we pay 4 adults and have 2 rooms everywhere). However, life doesn't always provide the choices we want so sometimes a little flexibility is needed by all. (Not referring to other travellers but to those in our family)

I have two children. A boy 17 and a girl 13. If I want to cruise with them, I'm not going to take them on a luxury cruise (the exception might be the Paul Gaugin). I'd take them on a ship that had more activities.

If I'm going on a luxury ship, I certainly don't want to slip into a pool where a baby might have been doing stuff that needs to stay within the diaper. I don't need the health problems that can cause. Also I certainly don't want the screaming, and obnoxious behavior. (I'd have stayed home if I wanted that!)

If I'm on a luxury cruise, it's to enjoy activities that are geared towards ADULTS. Some children are like little adults, and those children I wouldn't have a problem with.

If you sail the Med in August, you will mostly likely run into Mr. LeFevbre, his beautiful wife, their children, and an entourage of friends and family they bring on the cruise -- with many children as well.

The kids they bring on the cruise fall into the same category that you're all complaining about -- crawling around in diapers by the pool and whirlpool with regard to the infants, and making a little noise and livening up the pool area with regard to the older ones, and also livening up the Panorama Lounge at night a bit (which could definitely use some livening up anyway).Regards,

Gunther and Uta

I see you were on the Istanbul > Venice cruise last year ...........

Jeff

On our April 5, I think there were about 10 kids. I only know of 7 or 8, but Todd thinks he saw a couple of others. The youngest was a lap baby that was in the pool a couple of times, which I kept watching from the hot tub. I never saw any of the others at the pool deck, though we went somewhere everyday. The teens went snorkeling one day, and they cancelled snorkeling w/ their parents the next. I saw them at shuffleboard, playing chess, checkers, etc. The girl that looked about 7 was into ballroom dancing and formal dress. The only disturbing people were adults. However, if you multiplied this number of kids by 5, I don't know that we'd have been so lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

the fact is that years ago, silversea and seabourn had a no kids policy. economics forced them to change this, to the misery of others. we have found...having sailed for about 200 days or more combined on both...that the best way to avoid this is to take longer cruises. you go for 14 or more days, few kids. you go for seven...you are inundated. shame. but true.

As Jeff has stated, numerous times before, if your sailing does not meet your standards, you should take the time to let SS corporate know. Fortunately, we have an exceptional TA, who took the time to include our comments to SS Corporate about the miserable management of children on this cruise. We, along with Set2Sail, Jim from Cleveland, Curiouscruiser and JGibbs were on this cruise.

Yesterday, we received a page and half letter, signed by Frank Sansone, Manager Guest Relations SS, who agreed our sailing was not up to SS standards w/regard the handling of Children. He also told me SS was not going to disallow children on future sailings but assured they would address the good points I raised.

The last paragraph was the pleasant shocker. He said as a measure of SS's good will and to show, my bride and I what a SS sailing that will meet all our crusing standards, he included a Cruise Certificate for $1500 on a future sailing.

We are already booked on the Shadow in November, and now we have a pleasant problem of finding a sailing to apply this cerificate toward. Naturally, we thanked our TA for service above & beyond the after cruise. Thanks go to SS for demonstrating an extraordinary corporate attitude of customer service--listining to feedback from it's clients.

the fact is that years ago, silversea and seabourn had a no kids policy. economics forced them to change this, to the misery of others. we have found...having sailed for about 200 days or more combined on both...that the best way to avoid this is to take longer cruises. you go for 14 or more days, few kids. you go for seven...you are inundated. shame. but true.

Seabourn rarely, if ever, has children, as the ships are small, and there is NOTHING for them to do. When there are children present, it is not the diapered darlings, but rather, well-mannered older children with attentive parents. For the most part, there are no kids onboard.

If Silversea is marketing to children, they have missed their niche and will lose their previous demographic, which includes me .

Denyse

As Jeff has stated, numerous times before, if your sailing does not meet your standards, you should take the time to let SS corporate know ................. The last paragraph was the pleasant shocker. He said as a measure of SS's good will and to show, my bride and I what a SS sailing that will meet all our crusing standards, he included a Cruise Certificate for $1500 on a future sailing ........ Thanks go to SS for demonstrating an extraordinary corporate attitude of customer service--listining to feedback from it's clients.

ColonelWes,

The reason why I urged this route is because things are changing at SS and the chairman himself has taken a personal interest in beefing up and improving the way that SS handles feedback and you'll be seeing other changes designed to improvee SS's ability to listen and respond rolled out in the coming months or so, including better ways to measure and understand issues such as "smoking" and "children" to name two constant areas of discussion.

I'm glad you're pleased with the response; it's what you are entitled to when dealing with a company that has aspirations to be the best.

Jeff

Archived