Snorkeling on Seven Mile Beach??

jess43

7 mile beach isn't very close to where the tenders dock. Most people take a taxi to get there although you could walk to the end that was closest to Georgetown.

Generally, snorkeling is very poor where there is a sandy beach. Coral and sponges need rocky structure to go on and without the coral, there are few fish.

Finally, to answer you real question, yes there is free snorkeling within walking distance of the tender docks. Eden rock is just a block or 2 to the right. It is a rock shore with steps into the water.

Are there places on Seven-Mile beach where you can rent snorkeling equipment- ie:hotels -that allow you to use their beach (don't need chairs)?

Will you see anything "good"? I'm a novice snorkeler and my DH and son don't want to snorkel, so I can't see paying for an excursion for the three of us. Any hotels or spots to recommend? Links would be appreciated,as well.

Nativeway offers a tour which first stops at Sting Ray City. You don't have to snorkle there since the water is waist/chest deep. It is such a unique experience that this stop alone is worth the tour. They then go to two snorkling stops where the water is 8-12 feet deep. You can wear a life vest if you are not experienced (lots of people did). The guides are very patient and will help you with anything you might need. Your son and husband might enjoy snorkling here more than they think, I know both my daughter and her friend did because the water is so clear and you are able to get as close to (or far from) the fish and coral as you feel comfortable. But, even if they only did the sting ray part, you would really enjoy the snorkle stops.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

eden roc has steps right into the water. just go right about 2 blocks from the pier, there is even a changing room. its a little too rought for kids, make sure they have snorkel vests (you can rent them there). there is no beach there though. we went to the westin and walked on the beach, then went to snorkel and shop.

Jess43 .... In this thread you will find a site for Abanks Dive at Eden Rock with a map and more information:

Eden Rock

The snorkeling is actually very good there -- lots of fish. The use of the steps to get into the water is FREE. You can rent dive/snorkel gear from Abanks if you wish. :)

Archived