Sting Ray Tour--is it for us?

Bec

We will be sailing with RCCL in June, stopping at Cayman as well as Cozumel, Labadee, Jamaica. We are primarily beach people and do not really go in for anything too adventurous. A beach chair, a book and nice water and sand is great for us. But since we are doing a beach in Mexico and Labadee, and staying onboard at Jamaica, I was THINKING about maybe doing the sting ray thing.

Can someone give me an idea of what this is exactly? Is it in very deep water? Is it a lot of fun? We are a couple and have a daughter who is 16.

If we do decide to do this, do we book this ourselves or can you make some suggestions.

What else is there to do on Grand Cayman if we decide to pass on this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

This is just my opinion, but I think everyone should see the rays once. We've used Captain Marvin's twice, and both times we had a wonderful time. The first time we did the short excursion because we wanted to do other things while we were on the island. Our kids LOVED it. The first time, our youngest was 16 and the oldest was 22.

The first time we were there, stingray sandbar was packed. We were on the outer edge. I'm a little over 5', and the water was up to my chin. This last time, we were the only boat there...and it was awesome...and we were at a spot where the water was only up to our knees. It was really neat. However, we had as much fun this time as we did the last time.

The times we have done the stingrays, there have been people of all ages...from really young (2) to elderly people. Some get off the boat, others just watch from the boat. If you don't get off the boat, one of the crew members will bring a stingray to you so you can touch it. There's also a platform that runs along the back of the boat, and you could just sit there (if you didn't want to get in the water).

We loved the stingrays so much, that when we visit next January, we're going to do another excursion with Captain Marvin's.

Here's their website if you are interested...

http://www.captainmarvins.com

If you're going to be in Ocho Rios, you might consider getting off the ship and head to Island Village. We docked right next to the complex, and it was just a short walk across the enclosed parking lot. They have a small beach area, next to the Margaritaville which is inside the complex. But I have read where some ships are docking someplace else in Ocho. I'm not sure exactly where or how far from the Island Village complex this is located, but if you are docked next to it, you might consider walking over. :)

I also meant to add...that I'd book this myself. CM's is a short walk 5-minute from the port area. In the same complex (I think there's three shops), there is a nice little gift shop right next door. I was looking for shell Xmas ornaments, and this was the only place that had the type I was looking for.

If you book online, I think you give them your CC#, however, they don't charge you until you arrive. We held the spots with our CC, but paid in cash once we were there. If your ship can't make it into port for whatever reason, they won't charge you.

After the excursion, they will drop you along 7MB area, if you want. I think Royal Palms is not too far from the port...they have food, drinks, and things of that nature (but you would need to grab a cab back to the port). If you have them drop you somewhere, make sure it's a place that you can grab a cab back to the port area. Sea Grape is nice, but it's at the far end of the 7MB stretch. Traffic does get tied-up on a regular basis there...we were there for a week, and many times, we were stuck in traffic.

I believe we are tendering at this port. If we do the sting ray tour, how far is it from the dock--how much time before the tenders leave do we have to get back there.

thanks

There are 2 different areas for sting ray encounters. One you stand on a platform, the other you're right on the sand bar. If you want to get a good idea what you'll experience. Check out Moby Dick's web site. You'll see how deep the water is, the size of the groups from the independants vs the ship's tours. We just did the excursion with Moby Dick last week and were very impressed. Landon, our guide took pics of everyone feeding, posing etc with a terrific digital camera, and he'll make a cd and send it anywhere in the world for $10 per pic ( just the ones you want). They'll also drop you off at 7 mile beach, and pick you up on the way back from later tours ( just gotta have good ears and jump up fast- Phildelphia doesn't wait too long ;))

We did the stingray city tour on Moby Dicks last week as well. A very good time. My parents are in their late 70's and they got off the boat and held the stingrays and snorkled.

All the stingray city tours pick you up at the tender dock then take you by bus/van to the other side of the island. Probably a 15 minute ride. You get on a boat and they take you out to the sand bar which is another 30-40 minute ride. You play around on the sandbar and then they take you a short distance away to the reef for 30-40 minutes of snorkling. The snorkling is awesome. Then 30 minutes back to shore and another 15-20 minutes back to the cruise dock.

I believe we are tendering at this port. If we do the sting ray tour, how far is it from the dock--how much time before the tenders leave do we have to get back there.

thanks

Yes, you will tender here. CM's is a 5-minute walk (to the left of the tender area). They take you by bus to their dock site, which is another 10 minute drive. Their dock is behind CM's house. It's down 7MB, and you turn at the Courtyard Marriott...then drive a few hundred feet, and there you are. But they will take you there, so you don't need to worry about getting there. We met them at their dock, the last time we were there, since we were staying at a condo on 7MB.

When we cruised, our ship was in port from 7-4:30 (last tender was at 3:45). We got off the ship by 8:00...took an island tour (through the ship) and we were back at the port area by 10:30 or so. We then walked to Captain Marvin's for their 11:15-1:15 excursion. I think we needed to check in at CM's by 10:45. After we checked in, we went next door to a gift shop and shopped a bit.

Then we were off on our stingray tour. We were back at CM's by 1:45. CM's will drop you off where you want. They dropped us at Jack Rackham's...so we could have lunch. It's not far from their shop, and after we ate, we just walked back to the port area. I think we were in the tender line by 3:15 or so.

I wanted to take the early stinray tour, but Ruth at CM's didn't think we'd be off the ship in time...and she was right. We cruised over New Year's so ship time and island time was the same for us. One of the first things you need to figure out is this info. It will make a difference in what you do and how much time you have to do it in. If you have any questions, Ruth or Joan at CM's should be able to help you with this. For that matter, I would think all the tour guides would know what ship time is vs. island time.

If it were me...I'd schedule my stingray excursion in the morning. That way, if something comes up, and the ship has to leave, you will be in that general area. The week we were there, a big storm blew in, and all the ships left port a couple of hours early. I do think that the passengers knew this prior to getting off, because we were in CM's when several people came in and were trying to get on an excursion that would get them back to their ship...and they knew their ship was leaving ealry.

so can I assume that when you tender, you need to be back at the tender line approx 45 minutes before the last tender, and that the last tender is approx 45 minutes before ship sails?

Sorry to be so anal about this, but I'm just one of those people that likes to figure out as many of the details as possible up front, especially before I book an excursion. I am going to check out those websites. Also, are these tours better/cheaper than going through the cruise ship?

Thanks

so can I assume that when you tender, you need to be back at the tender line approx 45 minutes before the last tender, and that the last tender is approx 45 minutes before ship sails?

Sorry to be so anal about this, but I'm just one of those people that likes to figure out as many of the details as possible up front, especially before I book an excursion. I am going to check out those websites. Also, are these tours better/cheaper than going through the cruise ship?

Thanks

The tendering issuse is confusing...I know I was confused.

Whatever ship you are on, they will tell you when the last tender leaves. Make sure and be in the line before that time. If they say the last tender leaves at 3:45, and you are in the line, you will get back to the ship. Just don't cut it too close. We were there too early. The line was really long. Next time, I'd either get back much earlier, or wait a little longer...but make sure and be close to the line, so you can see what's going on. And make sure you are watching the right tender line...there were a couple of days that there were nine ships in port. It could get a little confusing. But we stood in the tender line at the exact same location that we got off the tender. I did notice this time, that there was a big concreted area (with a fence) that many cruisers were tendering from, in addition to the two other areas. All these areas were close to one another.

At Breezes one night, we sat next to a couple that was watching their tender line, and when it was short, they scooted across the street. They still sat on the tender for a good 30 minutes before it left. I'm not that brave...but it seemed to work for them. However, if everyone did this, it would be a big mess.

The tours we booked on our own were a lot cheaper than the ones you could book on the ship. Grand Cayman is a small island, with really great people. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to book all my excursions on my own. It's safe...and it's easy to navigate.

But if you really don't want to do this...you could book through the ship. I've heard that one of the good reasons to book an excursion with the ship, is if you have problems, they will wait. I don't know if this is true or not...but I figured on GC, it really wouldn't matter. We did the stingrays first, and after that, we were really close enough to the port area that we could walk back quite easily, should we need to.

Another thing to add to the mix...and I don't mean to confuse you...but when we were there for a week, a storm came in late on a Friday. On Saturday, there was one ship, but the waves were so high, that the ship was sent around to the other side of the island. I'm not sure how often this happens, but things went smoothly, but you'd need to catch a cab to the port area. It's not a long ways away...but I don't think you could walk. I'm sure the people at these excursion companies would have an answer for you. Chances are, it probably won't happen to you, but I thought I'd mention it. I think for the most part, if the waves are too high, the ships just skip the port.

I'm also a planner...I like to know what we are doing and when we are doing it. I printed off all sorts of things and carried all this info with me. I figured we were only going to be on these islands for such a short time, that I wanted to get the most out of it...and we did. :)

Twinkletoes is right. I've been to GC before when the winds and surf cancelled all of those kind of excursions, and depending on the weather, you might not stop at all. Most, if not all don't charge if the ship doesn't make it. If it does and the snorkel/sting ray stuff gets cancelled, have a back up plan.... Hell, Turtle farm 8 mile beach

They are kind like pet goats. They are very used to be handled and fed by humans. My 78 year old mother held and petted one. They are surprizingly smooth to the touch.

The thing to consider is that you don't have to touch them or hold them. The boat guide will usually grab one and hold it for people to look at.

I'm afraid I will be creeped out by the rays. Did anyone else fear this? How was it?

We just did Stingray City a couple weeks ago on the Buccanneer catamaran. It was fantastic. When I booked it, my daughter (14 years old) was not happy. It was the one thing she did not really want to do. We told her she could stay on the boat and just watch if she wanted. Well, she got in the water and LOVED it. Afterward, she said it was the most interesting and fun thing she did on the cruise!! She even kissed the stingray! I would definately do this tour again. Our tour also stopped at two snorkel spots. Also, the catamaran was much better than some of the over-crowed boats we saw. We had plenty of room to sit and lay around on deck.

I'm afraid I will be creeped out by the rays. Did anyone else fear this? How was it?

I had no intention of getting near those things...but one of the crew members told me I really needed to get in...and I did...and I loved it. The first time it was a bit freaky, because they will bump into you while looking for food. But they are such georgous creatures...and so gentle. Don't miss this opportunity to get up close to the stingrays. It is an amazing experience. It was the only thing I scheduled for our second trip there. The kids just wanted to spend the week on the beach and see the stingrays. They still talk about how cool it was. We're going back next January, and they want to do the stingray excursion again.

Twinkletoes is right. I've been to GC before when the winds and surf cancelled all of those kind of excursions, and depending on the weather, you might not stop at all. Most, if not all don't charge if the ship doesn't make it. If it does and the snorkel/sting ray stuff gets cancelled, have a back up plan.... Hell, Turtle farm 8 mile beach

One day we were eating lunch at the Hard Rock and the waves were all the way across the street. It was interesting to watch. They kept getting higher and higher...not much traffic on the road that day. :)

The week we were there, the storm came in on Friday, and the ships all high-tailed it out early. Saturday was really wild, and Sunday, the waves were still high. By Monday, the place was packed with ships, and none of them had had a clue what had gone on the prior three days. Having stayed there, I can see how unpredictable the weather can be.

Having a back up plan for the day is a real good idea. :)

ok don't laugh--but I just contacted captain marvin and they said that although the actual sting ray thing is in shallow waters, they anchor in 6-7 feet. So here is the thing--assuming that means you have to swim over to where the sting rays are?? My hubby and daughter (age 16+) cannot swim--aamof, hubby snorkled for the first time a few years ago on our first cruise--accidentally went out too deep, almost drowned and then got stung by a sea urchin--he had a bad day!

So what is the deal witih how much swimming in deep water is involved. this trip sounds so good--I am trying to figure out ways around this one.

any thoughts?

ok don't laugh--but I just contacted captain marvin and they said that although the actual sting ray thing is in shallow waters, they anchor in 6-7 feet. So here is the thing--assuming that means you have to swim over to where the sting rays are?? My hubby and daughter (age 16+) cannot swim--aamof, hubby snorkled for the first time a few years ago on our first cruise--accidentally went out too deep, almost drowned and then got stung by a sea urchin--he had a bad day!

So what is the deal witih how much swimming in deep water is involved. this trip sounds so good--I am trying to figure out ways around this one.

any thoughts?

My suggestion for your non-swimmers is to wear a life vest. All of the boats will have them. The day we went to Stingray City, the waves were pretty rough. We anchored in about 5-6 ft water but the current was pretty strong that day and the waves kept pushing you around. It would be very intimidating for someone who was not a real good swimmer. The part of the sandbar we were at was about 4 ft deep although I could see where other people were, it was only 2-3 feet deep. It all depends where your boat can find room to anchor. It can get pretty busy out there and your captain will want your group to stay in one area. Our captain gave vests to anyone that felt they needed one. BTW, we were on the Buccanneer catamaran.

It looks like alot of you folks booked online ahead of time with the excursion folks, did any of you wait until you got there and took your chances maybe getting a better deal? It looks like it is definately cheaper not to book through the ship but would there be a chance all the stingray tours would be booked or is there plenty to go around, on the same note our group of 17 people will probably break down into 12 doing the stingrays and 5 wanting to look around and shop, would anyone concur that the 5 shoppers can get off cheaper by using local taxis to get around?

It looks like alot of you folks booked online ahead of time with the excursion folks, did any of you wait until you got there and took your chances maybe getting a better deal? It looks like it is definately cheaper not to book through the ship but would there be a chance all the stingray tours would be booked or is there plenty to go around, on the same note our group of 17 people will probably break down into 12 doing the stingrays and 5 wanting to look around and shop, would anyone concur that the 5 shoppers can get off cheaper by using local taxis to get around?

This is just my opinion, but with a group of twelve, I'd probably book an excursion prior to getting there. We've used CM's twice, and both times, there were maybe 20 or so on the boat. But on the other hand, you could probably find someone at the port area. The first time we went to GC, we wanted to make sure we had a spot on the stingray excursion (and not have to use the ship one), so I booked in advance. And twelve is almost a boat full.

The shoppers won't need a cab. All the stores are right in the port area...an easy walk. The cabs there charge per person, not the destination, so unless they want to go to one of the hotels, I'd just walk around the port area. We did find that Red Sail operates gift shops in the major hotels, and we did find a lot of nice things there (mostly golf type shirts for hubby).

There is one shop that we LOVED...and it's called Pure Art. You would need a cab to get there. It's about a mile out of town (away from the 7MB area). Pure Art is located in an old white house (I think it was white). They carried all sorts of native crafts from Xmas ornaments to beautiful paintings. It was our favorite.

Good to know Twinkletoes, I'm glad to hear some shops are right there in the ports, Mom, wife, pregnant daughter, sisters will probably prefer to skip the rays. (my football nickname as a kid was twinkletoes, shortened to twinks over time)

Good to know Twinkletoes, I'm glad to hear some shops are right there in the ports, Mom, wife, pregnant daughter, sisters will probably prefer to skip the rays. (my football nickname as a kid was twinkletoes, shortened to twinks over time)

LOL...I'll bet they called you twinkletoes because you were on your toes and fast!

Have a great time in GC. The port area really offers a lot to do. There are clothes, jewelry, restaurants, rum cakes and more. And you don't have to worry about them wandering around on their own...GC is a very safe place.

There is a restaurant right across from the port area called Breezes. We sat on their balcony many evenings and watched the cruisers catch their tenders. It's in a building that has "Landmark" on the top. Breezes is on the second (and maybe third) floor. It's a great place to watch everyone.

Grand Cayman is our favorite place...we love it there. :)

Twinkletoes, unfotunately my nickname developed from me having big toes that turn in strangely underneath the other toes not because I was fast or anything and in the humerous cruelty of the neighborhood you earned a nickname by mispronouncing or altering your true name or by pointing out a strange deformality or oversized appendage. I made out well with Twinks as compared to some of my friends.

Great info on the tours, we are starting to develop a plan......

Bec excuse my intrusion and enjoy the stingrays

Archived