Non smoking and Non children ..........

uk1

Sunt pueri pueri, puerilia tractant

Jeff

Jeff...you are so right. Sunt pueri pueri, puerilia tractant . I was on Seabourn and a bunch of kids ran around bellowing, "clamo, clamatis omnes clamamus pro glace lactis." It was disruptive but at they had the breeding to be disruptive in Latin!

One passenger onboard got so fed up that they yelled "Caeser si viveret, ad remum dareris!!" at the kids to no avail. :p

Jeff...you are so right. Sunt pueri pueri, puerilia tractant . I was on Seabourn and a bunch of kids ran around bellowing, "clamo, clamatis omnes clamamus pro glace lactis." It was disruptive but at they had the breeding to be disruptive in Latin!

One passenger onboard got so fed up that they yelled "Caeser si viveret, ad remum dareris!!" at the kids to no avail. :p

I find the best response is:

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus

Nunc est bibendum (Horace)

I smoke and nobody really knows because I don't do it in the public areas of the ship. I took so much heat for it on a Crystal cruise once, it just seemed to ruin part of the cruise. You shouldn't be allowed to smoke in most areas because it does bother people. I only smoke on the balcony (no I don't throw anything overboard). You just can't get that smell out of the rooms.

Perhaps I'll give it up in time my Christmas cruise. Trouble is I like it to much. You just shouldn't treat smokers like the unwashed as long as they respect your rights not be subjected to it.

I smoke and nobody really knows because I don't do it in the public areas of the ship. I took so much heat for it on a Crystal cruise once, it just seemed to ruin part of the cruise. You shouldn't be allowed to smoke in most areas because it does bother people. I only smoke on the balcony (no I don't throw anything overboard). You just can't get that smell out of the rooms.

Perhaps I'll give it up in time my Christmas cruise. Trouble is I like it to much. You just shouldn't treat smokers like the unwashed as long as they respect your rights not be subjected to it.

A bit suprised to read this as I think you'll find that there is a potential problem for others when you smoke on your balcony.

The issue is that when sailing the breeze rarely starts from within a suite and blows outwards (!) - it nearly always blows smoke back towards the ship. That means that there is a good chance that at least one or two suites each side of you will get the smell of tobaco in their suites and on their balcony. Whereas on the run of ship they could move away - this is THEIR suite and they shouldn't be forced from it. This has been posted before and some feel that it has impacted their experience because when their smoking neighbour smokes on a balcony they have to shut their doors or vacate their balcony.

I therefore feel that this is a probable nuisance to non-smoker neighbours - hence I believe that it is wrong to smoke on a balcony and that the only place to smoke is therefore the bar and the humidor and any other specified public area.

Jeff

(a cigar smoker)

We (meaning the so-called first world) have created this hypocrisy about smoking, and yet at the same time would like to be treated as victims.

Since smoking (or the tar and nicotine contained therein) is so extremely dangerous, why not just have enough guts to make it illegal?

If the tobacco industry were from Bogotá, Colombia, and not from the East Coast of the United States and other Western countries, I bet you it would have been outlawed by the so-called "first" world decades ago.

So the "first" world doesn't make it illegal, but prohibits it from being consumed nowadays in most public places. Still hypocrisy. If it's dangerous and causes cancer, make it illegal at the source. Don't make it freely available for sale so that governments can make windfall tax revenue and so that the jobs of an industry which no longer has a raison d'être are protected, only to tell the people baited into purchasing tobacco that they can't use it in public places because of the laws already in force and new laws being enacted every day, thereby treating them as lepers or second-class citizens.

But, dear friends, a floating cruise ship is not subject to the laws against tobacco consumption in public places. So please remember, if you smoke inside a restaurant in California, you are breaking the law. If you smoke inside the dining room or restaurant of a cruise ship, if the cruise line doesn't permit smoking in the dining room, you are breaking a private policy, but you are not breaking the law.

I am a non-smoker and I do believe that everyone should follow the cruise line's policy and smoke only where such policy permits one to smoke.

However, dear friends, we are talking about policies and not laws, and I do find that many passengers get all bent out of shape about people who smoke even within the confines of permitted smoking areas on cruise ships.

If the ship's smoking policy permits smoking in certain areas, then please don't get all excited. Not only are these people not breaking any laws, but they are in full compliance with the ship's policy anyway.

Perhaps your energy would be better devoted to nagging your Congressperson to get the darn stuff banned in the first place, and not nagging the people who, for whatever reason, do not want to quit smoking or find it too difficult to quit smoking, since at least for now the stuff is legal and they are breaking no laws.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

A bit suprised to read this as I think you'll find that there is a potential problem for others when you smoke on your balcony.

The issue is that when sailing the breeze rarely starts from within a suite and blows outwards (!) - it nearly always blows smoke back towards the ship. That means that there is a good chance that at least one or two suites each side of you will get the smell of tobacco in their suites and on their balcony. Whereas on the run of ship they could move away - this is THEIR suite and they shouldn't be forced from it. This has been posted before and some feel that it has impacted their experience because when their smoking neighbour smokes on a balcony they have to shut their doors or vacate their balcony.

I therefore feel that this is a probable nuisance to non-smoker neighbours - hence I believe that it is wrong to smoke on a balcony and that the only place to smoke is therefore the bar and the humidor and any other specified public area.

Jeff

(a cigar smoker)

Oh Please. The ship's going 20 knots. Somebody smoking a tiny cigarette isn't going to run you off your veranda. That's what I'm talking about. Jeezze. I don't know if I want sit next to you Jeff at the dinning table after you just spent the afternoon in the humidor.

Chip,

I have to agree with Jeff as I have had experience of smokers on the balconies whilst trying to enjoy a nightcap, only to be smoked like a kipper.I think the movement of smoke is worse when the ship is in motion especially when travelling slowly which ships often do at night.You will get smoke from surounding balconies but when the ship is stationary the movement of air is not so fierce.I know that most smokers are considerate and mean well by smoking on the balcony but for us non smokers it is a disgusting habit.

Now you know why we are getting it banned from most places.What about starting a smokers club in the Sauna!!

it sound perfectly reasonable to me.

BTW Jeff is far too clean to smoke cigars. He's got someone to do that for him ;)

I don't make a big deal out of this but I'm paying just as much as you are. As I said I go out of my way not to bother people. I may not do it if your sitting on your veranda. As some poster said it's legal on SS. If smoking bothers you so much, go on a cruise line that doesn't let people smoke.

Some people drink to excess. As a non drinker I don't say anything. Maybe I don't hang around with them. But it's there right to do so.

These are not private yachts. One passenger doesn't have the right to determine what another passenger can and cannot do. From the Whereases and Therefores in Jeff's posts I think he might even agree. I sure don't have a right to stop him from from smoking cigars in the areas that SS provides for him to do so.

I guarantee you if you are on a cruise with me, you won't know I smoke. So give me a break and let me enjoy a little smoke late at night when it bothers no one.

PS. Is it okay if I bring Chewing Tobacco to the Sauna? :)

I don't make a big deal out of this but I'm paying just as much as you are. As I said I go out of my way not to bother people. I may not do it if your sitting on your veranda. As some poster said it's legal on SS. If smoking bothers you so much, go on a cruise line that doesn't let people smoke.

Some people drink to excess. As a non drinker I don't say anything. Maybe I don't hang around with them. But it's there right to do so.

These are not private yachts. One passenger doesn't have the right to determine what another passenger can and cannot do. From the Whereases and Therefores in Jeff's posts I think he might even agree. I sure don't have a right to stop him from from smoking cigars in the areas that SS provides for him to do so.

I guarantee you if you are on a cruise with me, you won't know I smoke. So give me a break and let me enjoy a little smoke late at night when it bothers no one.

PS. Is it okay if I bring Chewing Tobacco to the Sauna? :)

I was merely answering your own earlier comment which was:

You said that NOBODY really knows it and I was merely pointing out that this wasn't true. By choosing to smoke on your balcony some of your neighbours who might not enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke lingering in their suites will be forced to close their doors. No Whereases or Therefores but I would have thought as obvious. This I personally see as a worst option than smoking in a public area where at least people can move away.

No offence intended.

Jeff

And for those of us who are illiterate when it comes to Latin would somebody care to translate ?

Sunt pueri pueri, puerilia tractant

Children are children and will do childish things

clamo, clamatis omnes clamamus pro glace lactis

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

Caeser si viveret, ad remum dareris!!

If Caesar were alive you'd be tied to an oar!!

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Nunc est bibendum

Cheers!! ("Now we must drink")

As a rule, American schoolchildren are usually given only two days off from school. Thursday of thanksgiving and the friday following. Christmas vacation comes soon after and most schools will give two week or so holiday then. My kids never had a week off for thanksgiving.

We just sailed the Whisper 9/6-9/15. Had a lovely time by the way. Regarding smoking I will say that the Humidor was filled with smokers in the evenings. The night we dined in Le Champagne the door to the Humidor was open and the smoke was blowing our way. My friend closed the door and complained to the maitre d. I do not know if smoking is officially allowed in the bar but it often smelled of smoke in there. One afternoon some fellows were smoking cigars on the pool deck. we were told that the "bar side" of the deck is smoking and the other is not.

I returned a few days ago from taking my wife to London for our family birthday celebrations, my wife's, daughter's and my own birthday all falling within a 4 day period. As a special treat I took her to a five star hotel overlooking the Thames during the Mayor's Thames Festival - the suite being a great place to see the fireworks on Sunday night.

Once again a weekend that was perfect - marred only by "other people's children".

In the hotel restaurant for breakfast, continental was buffet style, English was waiter-served. A family plonked themselves down beside us and youngest brat was allowed to go and help himself from the buffet. He used his fingers rather than the spoons and tongs, rummaging through all the food to find what he felt were the tastiest morsels. This was punctuated by his hacking coughing and sneezing all over the food. Throughout the breakfast he was allowed to run around the tables annoying all other diners. Not once did the parents make any effort to control their brat.

Later, we met up with my daughter for a lunch in an expensive Chinese restaurant in Chinatown.

Shortly after we started our first course, Family #2 took the next table to ours. The the kid was allowed again to run around the tables with the parents looking affectionately and approvingly on without any attempt at control. The brat was allowed to scream to his parents from any point in the restaurant turning what should have been a great lunch into a less great lunch.

Not all kids are brats, and not all parents are poor at parenting and inconsiderate to others. But this lack of consideration knows no social or economic boundaries and I for one am tired of being forced to tolerate other people's children. Standards are clearly changing, and whilst it's difficult to find child-free restaurants and child-free hotels - I will find myself becoming more and more attracted to offers where I can be certain of having a brat-free environment.

Jeff,

I am sorry to hear of your experience in London and hope that you still had a good time with your family.I thought I would mention my three weeks on the Seabourn Legend in the Med as I know that you have some reservations as to the clientele and the hijacking by some regular cruisers of the ships.

The total number of children for the whole three weeks was two and they were both one year old.I was expecting more sprogs especially as it was August,so that part was great.The service and food were the best that I have ever had on a ship and nothing was too much trouble,even special orders that the Chef personally shopped for when in port were discussed with interest when the Maitre D' asked him to come to the table while we were having dinner.We met some really pleasant and charming people whilst aboard and this ofcourse made for good company especially at meal times.I did ask many of the staff about the parties and large gangs of past cruisers taking over and came to the conclusion that these things take place on the crossings which have many days "at sea" and for you I am sure, are to be avoided.I have booked another cruise and would recommend that you look at the itineraries and have a go.I did meet many Silversea passengers who are now converted to Seabourn especially with what has been going on recently

Regards

J

I took my girls on the QE2 years ago when they were preteen. It was a crossing from NYC to Southampton. I kept close tabs on them but they were old enough to have the run of the ship. Daughter #1 thought it was fun to ride the elevators up and down all day, push every button causing the elderly to take the stairs. She got grounded when one of the officers showed at my cabin with her in tow. No more cruises till they grew up. It was very embarrassing.

Then there was myself on a Cunard ship Franconia at 12. It was rough and I had figured out how to jump a whole flight of stairs if I timed it just right. The British were not amused.

So I feel your pain and on some cruises children should be not seen and not heard.

Jeff,

i feel sorry that you had such a horrible experience. PARENTS who do not control their children get up my nose too. it is unfair on all. it spoils everyone in the restaurants meal! I too despise being sat near such families and unless the children can behave in an appropriate manner should not be permitted to go to the buffet at ALL! Not everyone will think your darling is cute and I too agree it is becoming more and more obvious that it is the current generation (30 somethings and below) who feel the world revolves around their child.

Having finally arrived home...a full review is to follow..feedback on the children was that they behaved appropriately (and judging by the comments from other guests they did not create any issues). There were two other children on the voyage..and for the most part the four of them were often almost invisible. My son spent many hours by the pool reading his book, my daughter participated in many of the activities in an adult manner (perhaps with a little more energy at Golf) including making some valuable contributions to trivia and not just on harry potter!

Two gentlemen we accompaniedfor trivia made the following comment:

"When faced with children I always comment that I like mine well done. However I can cope with yours!"

Archived