Best Looking Ships-Which Cruise Line?

sea_breaze

I was just going over some pictures of the Golden Princess for an upcoming cruise and was thinking what a sleek looking ship it was.

Was wondering what everybody else thought about the best looking cruise ships/cruise lines afloat. Strictly on external appearances though not based by experiences on board. Example I would have Holland Maasdam on the bottom of my list even though it was one of our best experiences. The ships that you run into in port and say "Wow, I'd really like to get on board and check that one out". Below would be my list based on the major mass market lines with out getting ship specific.

1. Royal Caribbean

2. Princess

3. Cunard

4. Disney

5. Celebrity

6. NCL

7. Carnival

8. Holland

9. Costa

Very few ships in my opinion look great, when compared to yesteryear, athough Cunard does its best. So saying I believe that the 'artwork' on the outside of the NCL ships is at best a joke, but at worst a disgrace to the entire industry! john

Obviously we are Princess fans, however I think the best looking ships are the Holland America black hulled ships. They bring back the nostalgia of the ocean lines of the past.......:)

The absolute worst are the NCL art work hull and the Arosa red lip bows.

The Pride of America with blunt bow and hull art is the ugliest ship afloat.....:p

Very few ships in my opinion look great, when compared to yesteryear, athough Cunard does its best. So saying I believe that the 'artwork' on the outside of the NCL ships is at best a joke, but at worst a disgrace to the entire industry! john

Ah a tradionalist- That had crossed my mind as well that Cunard and Holland seem to have the more traditional look and that there may be a lot of people that preferred that look

I'm with everybody esle on the NCL cartoon hulls. Kind of cheesy and cheap looking. I have seen some some NCL without this though.

IMO, no ship in service today comes close to the graceful beauty of the Queen Elizabeth 2. Her built-for-speed sleek ocean-greyhound lines and her traditional livery put her far above and beyond any other ship.

Second, but not a close second, is Queen Mary 2. She is the best looking of today's mega-ships.

So, Cunard would be No. 1 on my list.

Holland America has good-looking ships with a mind towards the traditional.

Disney is not too bad, other than their cartoonish exterior decorations.

Obviously we are Princess fans, however I think the best looking ships are the Holland America black hulled ships. They bring back the nostalgia of the ocean lines of the past.......:)

The absolute worst are the NCL art work hull and the Arosa red lip bows.

The Pride of America with blunt bow and hull art is the ugliest ship afloat.....:p

1) HAL ships are (as Desrtsrmr mentioned, BLUE not black.

2) I have to agree that the NCL ships look stupid with the "art" painted down the Hull.

I prefer that ships look like ships. My preferance would be:

1) Cunard

2) HAL

3) Celebrity

4) RCI

5) Disney (Would be higher if not for the mouse ear funnel and carachter hanging off this ship.

6) Costa

7) Carnival

6) Princess ( Would score higher if not for the blunt stern with the shopping cart handle on top.

7) NCL

I always liked the profile of the RCI ships even before I started cruising with them. They are not as boxy and squared off as most of the other new builds. Here is my list.

1. RCI

2. Cunard

3. Disney

4. Crystal

5. Celebrity

6. HAL

7. Princess

8. Carnival/Costa as they are becoming one with the new builds.

9. NCL - not crazy about the hull art and the Pride of America is by far the ugliest ship sailing today IMHO.

I love the profiles of RCI's ships, as well as Cunard's - two completely different styles of ship, each beautiful in their own right. I like the classic dark hulls of HAL and Celebrity. I like the look of the P&O Oceana.

I can't stand the NCL artwork and definitely think the Pride of America is one ugly ship, if not the ugliest cruise ship out there. I don't like the Princess shopping carts either, although I do think some of their smaller ships have nice lines. And I'm not too found of the look of the Carnival ships either - just something about them hits me wrong.

I'll have to go with RCI, at least the newer ships. In 2001, we did a three-day on Radiance when she had just arrived in Miami, and I was really impressed with her inside and out. Still one of my favorites.

On balance, I thin the smaller ships of most lines look best. I am staring at a postcard of Seven Seas Mariner and she is just beautiful.

Also, like most posters already said, HAL ships have nice lines too.

My #1 choice will always be Norway. It was the most amazing traditional ship I have ever seen. I'm very partial to traditional and really dislike the crazy colors on NCL. Also, I'm not a fan of Royal Caribbean b/c I hate seeing the rock wall, slides, and all the other unnecessary items on an ocean liner (IMHO). Therefore, I'm also not a big fan of Carnival. I would have to agree with Cunard and Holland America.

Archived