Bring your own mask & snorkle?

dhartley

This is our first time for a summer cruise. We are doing a carribean cruise for 7 days w/ 3 ports of call.(Cozemel, Meridia/Progresso, Belize City) If you bring your own, do you still pay for access to "sharkray alley" and the like? Or is it better to just rent everywhere? Thanks

Not sure if the fees change, but we always bring our own equipment. You can get a good set from LLBean and then you know its clean and its yours...it comes in a great backpack so its easy to carry. Plus on some islands as you are explring and you see a great beach you can just jump in and have fun, no need to look for a vendor

Enjoy your cruise

I would bring my own. I always bring mine and am glad that I do after watching how they clean the ones that everyone uses and then hearing my friends talk about getting mono and the flu from the ones on the boats.

Here is a poll that I started on the Princess Board!

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46604"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46604[/url]

JON "Can't wait to start snorkeling" MEYER

Here's another vote for having your own - they're easy to pack and carry on beach days and provide more freedom and personnal security - plus you know what to expect from the equipment (you may want a dry snorkel, for instance)...

JMHO

- Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
Bring your own for health reasons. I carry my mask, snorkel and fins in a duffle bag. This counts as another luggage bag. I really don't mind that. Since I know the mask fits my face. The snorkel only goes in " My " mouth and the fins help me move quickly with the fish... It's all worth.

i've used my own and the shop's mask/snorkel. i've never gotten sick, although i do think about germs when putting it in my mouth. once i am in the water, the excitement takes over & i forget about getting sick. if you don't have a very average face, you may need your own mask. i guess if you get sick easily, take your own. if you tend to rarely get sick, you can take your chances. all i have ever seen dive/snorkel operators do is dip those things in a tub of something. so, don't know if there's really disinfectant in there or not. i am an occasional diver who doesn't own my own regulator, so i don't have any choice when diving until i am ready to fork over the bucks to buy one!

• 3 weeks later...
When we took our first cruise we rented gear in St.Thomas and St. Marteen. The operators just dipped the gear in soapy water and put them up. On the second cruise we were going to do the same thing til someone on these boards posted it was all right to use the rental gear, but, honestly would you use someone elses toothbrush on your vacation? That was it, we went out to Wally World and bought our own. They carry US Divers equipment that is made by Aqua Lung and it is a good starter set.

Snorkeling really wet our appetite for the undersea world, and now we are both Advanced Open Water Divers with close to 75 dives each. Some say not bad for only being Certified for a little over a year.

Have a great time!!!

:D Dive, Dive, Dive :D

Capt. Bob

• 1 month later...
if you never again think you'll ever snorkel, then go with the rental gear.

but if it's something you likely will repeat, by all means buy your own gear. it'll stay in better condition... and despite the lengths the operators use to sanitize gear, i still feel like it's using someone else's toothbrush (i.e. not for me).

p.s. if you like the water, you will be hooked. snorkeling is da bomb! :D

Archived