Bonine - supposed to be non drowsy...

iwunderu

It says non-drowsy, yet I'm so sleepy! I'm taking it to get enough into my system by the end of the week for my cruise, but it's killing me! In addition to that, my BF will kill me if I'm this sleepy on our trip.

Anyone else experience this and did your body get used to it so you weren't so sleepy after a few days? If so, how long? What about taking it at night rather than in the morning, does that help?

I suppose people react differently, but neither my husband or I ever had any problems with being drowsy with OTC Bonine. Are you following the instructions exactly?

I have taken the same drug in prescription form for Vertigo. The dosage is much higher, of course, and I *DO* get drowsy when I take that version.

It says non-drowsy, yet I'm so sleepy! I'm taking it to get enough into my system by the end of the week for my cruise, but it's killing me! In addition to that, my BF will kill me if I'm this sleepy on our trip.

Anyone else experience this and did your body get used to it so you weren't so sleepy after a few days? If so, how long? What about taking it at night rather than in the morning, does that help?

I have never noticed it making me drowsey, but are you really taking it a week before your cruise? I believe the instructions say you should start taking it about 1 hour before you cruise.

Taking once a day as indicated.

I agree that that package says one hour prior to travel but I have also read a couple of times that you should take it several days ahead of time to get it into your system. I just want to make sure I'm covered.

Try taking it only at bedtime before you cruise, that will put enough in your system. Then take it each night while cruising before you go to bed. This way you won't feel any effects in your waking hours but it will work.

Thanks Tot2Kansas...that's what I'm thinking of doing. I am completely useless like this! :D

It makes me drowsy too. It said to take two pills a day. I just took one before bed each night and I slept great and never felt sick and I get sea sick easy. I started taking it two nights before we sailed and it has worked great for me. If fact, I have two weeks and I will need to start taking it again for my May 13th cruise on the Dawn.....Whahoooooo:D

I am some one who gets drowsy with a lot of the non-drowsy OTC medications. I used to take my Bonine the morning of embarkation. Bad idea for me. I would get so sleepy I felt like my legs were made of rubber and I would pass out at a moment's notice. I have learned through experience that the best option for me is to take 1 Bonine at bedtime the night before our cruise and only 1 at bedtime every night while on the cruise. I have NEVER experienced drowsiness since I switched to my night time dosage. If you are taking two pills, you might try switching to only one and see if that helps. Also, if you are mixing alcohol, sedatives, or tranquilizers with your Bonine, that may be contributing to your problem. I know some people can mix items with their Bonine and some can't; I am one of those that can't. Good luck with your dilema, hope all works out for you.

We took ginger capsules in the morning, and the bonine (or generic meclazine) at bedtime. Probably would not have needed either, but since it was our first cruise, we wanted to take no chances of feeling woozy. Karen

Thanks for all the quick replys. I will switch to 1 pill at night and see how that does me. Last cruise I took Bonine prior to and during about half of the trip and I was fine. I'm just worried that if I don't take anything, I will be sorry. I also hear the seas are a little bit more rough on the west coast.

On my first cruise I took non-drowsy bonine before bed when we were getting into high seas and everyone was starting to get sick. Normally I am an early to bed and early to rise person but I couldn't get myself out of bed till noon the next day. I'm going to try the patch.

I have never had problems with drowsiness, but I take mine before going to bed.

I strongly suggest that you make sure you have a few left over for the day or two AFTER the end of the cruise. I don't have a problem during the cruise, but after getting off the ship I need some time to get my land legs back.

For my first cruise I timed my pills to run out on the last night of the cruise. But by the next evening in a Copenhagen hotel I thought I was going to die. I was fine during the day but when I went to bed that evening the room was spinning...

I used Avomine, which was given to me on the Royal. My dr. prescribed it for me for this past trip. I knew from my last trip that 1 whole pill ws too much, so i cut down to 1/2. Even that was too much so i switched to 1/4 during the day and 1/2 before bed. Within a few days, I didn't need the daytime one.

Be cautious of the patch--I took it for my first cruise and it worked fine until I got a massage on day two of the cruise (the oils got under it, it lost its effectiveness, and I got sick) so I put the new patch on a day earlier than I was supposed to (you have to swith it every 3 days). I got horrible blurred vision, ended up ditching the patch altogether, and did ok with the pills the nurse on the ship gave me. Just wanted you to know to check out the patch--it's not as perfect as some may say.

We also use the Bonine at night and the ginger pill during the day. We had 12-15' on the way to Roatan in Oct. We were on the backside of Wilma and there were alot of folks sick on board. We luckily were fine.

Dave

I am definitly one of those who get really tired on bonine. I do take it at night if necessary but an still very tired the next morning. I do take only 1/2 a pill and still have trouble, however it does work great. I use my bands and take ginger thus usually only have to resort to bonine as a last resort. :) :)

Try taking it only at bedtime before you cruise, that will put enough in your system. Then take it each night while cruising before you go to bed. This way you won't feel any effects in your waking hours but it will work.

That's what we did last month - never a minute of nausea or sea-sickness and no sleepiness during the day!

What ship are you going on?

My wife is very sensitive to motion sickness and on these bigger ships she doesn't even use it.

If you are sailing the North Atlantic, than by all means go for it.

But in the Carribbean?

My car bounces more on I-95 than these mega ships.

Bonine and "less drowsy" Dramamine contain the same active ingredient (meclizine) as prescription Antivert 25mg for vertigo. They both can cause drowsiness, especially if taken with alcohol or other sedating medications. Everyone reacts to medications differently, so some may experience sedation while others don't. As other posters have suggested, taking at night can sometimes avoid or lessen the problems with drowsiness. Also be careful with the Transderm-Scop patches. The patches may also cause severe drowsiness, blurred vision and dry mouth and nausea in some people. The dosage of the tablets can be reduced (halve tablets) easier (if needed) than the patch. Often you can buy a storebrand of the tablets that are much cheaper than the patches. Remember to use whatever product you choose before you start feeling seasick. Prevention is better than trying to use them as a cure. Hope this info helps. Happy cruising.

You might think about cutting the pill in half - if it makes you really drowsy maybe just 1/2 is enough for you. I know it was for me :-) Our cabin attendant said all the crew swear by green apples and ginger ale when the "feeling" comes on them and that it works wonders on motion sickness.

Was on the Star in January. Took Bonnine on the second day out and for the third and fourth. Couldn't stay awake. From the fifth day I took the ginger root pill. What a miracle. Not sleepy at all, we had twelve foot seas, not sea sick at all. I actually saw many people who must have taken Bonnine, falling asleep in the shows, which is what I was doing the first few nights. I also take Bonnine to fly, but on the way back, I forgot and packed it, but had the Ginger Root pills in my bag. We had a flight delay due to bad weather at home, I took the ginger root, and it was smooth sailing, or should I say flying. The last half hour of the flight was up and down, but I kept everything down. I will swear by Ginger Root from now on.

Have a great trip.

Archived