Sea Sickness Medicine

ccrgjalk

There was just another thread on this topic started a couple days ago. If you either scroll down, or use the "search" option, I think you will find a lot of information.

I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time on your cruise!

I get queazy on any type of boat, backseat of a car car, plane when it turns, and a bus if I read, even on the back yard swing.

On all cruises I take a Bonine each morning, starting on the way to the ship and never had a problem with getting sick or being drowsy. The trick is to stay ahead of it as once you are sick, you are sick and nothing much helps at that point.

(My sister did not heed my advice and we had very rough seas and she was so sick and I was perfectly fine. She took a bonine at that point but didn't touch it.)

Agree with all the above posts. Whatever she decides to try though, be sure she does a trial run ahead of time. People's reactions to some of these remedies vary widely, and she wants to know how she will react before she cruises:)!

I vote for Bonine, too! I was just like your wife. I was very nervous because I am very motion sickness prone. I decided I wanted to go on a cruise and needed to find a way. I tried the Bonine and I have never had a problem. It also helps that the ships have great stabilizers. You barely feel the ship swaying.

What is the best remedy to not get seasick.

My wife has never been on a cruise and is nervous she will get sick.

Book a cabin in the Ship's Hull if possible, about one deck down from the widest deck if cabins begin there. Select a mid ship cabin. Balconies are nice, but you will experience more seasickness in such a cabin as they tend to be higher up so try to book the lowest mid ship balcony available. Never book a forward cabin if yo are concerned about seasickness, nor one on the top decks.

Some people swear by those wrist bracelets - accupressure being the preventative measure. Get one for each wrist.

Get an ear patch - Scopolomine and apply it before the cruise begins (follow directions). If you cannot take this medicine, as soon as you feel a change in the ships motion - you may all of a sudden find it difficult to walk when getting up for example, take a Benadryl or Bonnine. You may want to take this before hand if rough seas are predicted in the Captain's weather update, but they will make you tired.

If the weather gets inclement and you start to feel the pitch and roll, try not to look at the sea as watching the motion makes it worse. Sit in a chair, order some beef or chicken boullion from room serivce and/or ginger ale (even better is Ginger Beer which is not alcoholic, is like Root Beer but is very soothing as a digestive) or lie down.

If you still feel worse consider an Infirmary visit for a shot which is usually Vistaril (an antihistamine like Benadryl with the Sedative powers of tranquilizer) which will help, but you will also sleep. Avoid any Compazine Injection as this has some untoward side effects. Always ask what they are going to admisister to you. If it is a drug not widely distribited in the USA, ask what this is similar to.

Bonine is great, but I would take it before you go to bed at night. Some people do get drowsy on Bonine, gives you a good nights sleep and takes care of the sea sickness. After a couple of days at sea I usually stop taking it and am fine. I will take one on the last night before we disembark so I won't feel like I'm still on the ship when I get home! Enjoy your cruise!!

I was very nervous It also helps that the ships have great stabilizers. You barely feel the ship swaying.

I do agree with this, however, it can give someone a false sense of security in that some think the newer, pod ships will prevent sea sickness.

I was on the QM2 - the largest ship at present at 153,000 tons. If you are in a storm with Force Ten winds, no ship is going to be immune from the effects of the storm.

To add to my post above, the Atlantic Ocean is the worst there is a far as rough seas go/ The Carribean the best.

Keeping the Atlantic Ocean in mind, cruises to Bermuda, out of NYC, Boston and the Eastern Seaboard run a risk if you are prone to seasickness. A cruise out of Florida or better yet, Puerto Rico which is actually in the Atlantic would be a good idea.

The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Island (the new "In" port) are in the Atlantic Ocean, not the Carribean.

I"m prone to sea sickness. I take a 24 hour dramamine tab daily, starting about 1 - 2 hours prior to sailing. I also bring along the 4 - 6 hour tabs, in case I need a "booster" if we hit nasty weather. Had to do this on the QE2. I've been reading posts the last several days about my lastest sailiing (4/16 on Spirit). I'm shocked that several people have said the seas were rough the last night. I guess the main thing is to be prepared - remember you are on a ship, it is moving, and sea sickness can be prevented. You don't want to wait until you feel queasy - then it's too late and you might be sick for an entire day. Be prepared and you'll have a nice trip.:cool:

• 2 months later...
I get queazy on any type of boat, backseat of a car car, plane when it turns, and a bus if I read, even on the back yard swing.

On all cruises I take a Bonine each morning, starting on the way to the ship and never had a problem with getting sick or being drowsy. The trick is to stay ahead of it as once you are sick, you are sick and nothing much helps at that point.

(My sister did not heed my advice and we had very rough seas and she was so sick and I was perfectly fine. She took a bonine at that point but didn't touch it.)

I have a question about bonine. . .Does bonine have any adverse effects that anyone knows about? My dd is 18 and the last time we sailed to Bermuda the seas were a little choppy. She took the bonine, but after she started to feel a little sick. I am going to tell her to follow your advice, but just wanted a little more information about bonine.

I am also going to recommend your advice to our 14 yo niece who is sailing with us and tends to get seasick.

I've never had adverse affects w/ Bonine, and have used it for years. The box says drowsiness may occur (I get sleepy with Dramamine, but not Bonine). Don't drink alcohol while using it, be careful when driving a car, etc. I've never felt sick while using Bonine, and I can get just by someone mentioning it! LOL!

The only product I ever had a problem with for motion sickness was the patch...worked fine while I had it on, and then for a full 24 hours after I took it off I had double vision. That was frightening.

Bonine is what I have been using since 1990, on 12 cruises, and on my 13th cruise coming up I will use it again. I am not usually prone to motion sickness but I still want to prevent it because in the event of rough seas you never know. We usually sail out of NY which tends to be rougher than sailing out of Florida or Puerto Rico so I always take it. I take it before sailing and everyday throughout the cruise.

Another important thing, which a crew member once told me years go, is to make sure to eat throughout the day. Of course they make this very easy with all the food around! Seriously, I know that some people think that if you don't eat you won't get sick but actually the opposite is true. I have also heard people say to go out on deck and look straight out into the ocean (front of the ship, not the side or back). For some, lying down in the cabin is better; for others this makes things worse. Someone else once told me that if you get sick, have a gin and tonic. This of course is fine for those 21 and older, but for the younger people, ginger ale is good. They also sell ginger capsules over the counter and some people swear by those as a natural remedy. I just take a bonine before I go and each day thereafter. And for me it has worked thus far.

Have a great cruise!!!

Just to let anyone know, someone told me to ask the pharmasist? The pharm. at Bi-Lo said she could get Bonine alot cheaper than over the counter,and she can sell it to you without a perscription in her area. She sold me a bottle of 100 for $3.50 and on the shelf it is 8 tablets for around that. She says they buy it in bulk so they can sell it cheaper. So I have some for the rest of my life now, I guess I need to go on more cruises.

Archived