Are shore excursions necessary?

blanca2

We are booked for the Mercury Dec. 8 from San Diego (full transit, I guess). Can you see enough of the Canal from the ship if we do not take a shore excursion. They are pricey. This is our first trip to Panama, and probably our only one. We have a balconey cabin. I've also read if you get a good spot early enough on deck you can see the workings of the canal.

We don't want to go and miss the main thing. Please share your experience.

We're looking into the Train tour.

The ship will give you plenty of good viewing opportunities. We just got back. We went on RCCL out of Miami. We entered the Atlantic side, then got off at Gatlin lake and took the train to MiraFlores locks on the Pacific side. Best viewing spot on our ship was the helicopter pad. I wanted some good photos so I got there at 5:00 AM. Myself and another man were first ones there. The gate to helicopter pad was still latched but we removed and went on. Twenty minutes later there was thirty people on the pad. Fills up quickly. The train ride was excellent. I have some photos and videos of the canal and train ride on my website at http://www.mydatalion.com/PanamaCanal.htm if you want to take a look.

Since you are doing a full transit I would stay on the ship and take advantage of the view. On my partial transit cruise, I did a Ferry tour through the entire length of the canal to be able to see what you will have the opportunity to do from the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

snoe, thanks for the wonderful pictures and videos. I enjoyed looking at them and it whett my appetite for our Panama cruise next year. I have never done snorkeling, yet it looked wonderful the way you get down into the water (I always thought I'd have to jump into the water and would not have anything to help keep me afloat). Is this from an excursion? We will be on a different ship, the Princess Coral. Thanks.

sasha'smom

• 1 month later...

i will be on the carnival legend doing a partial through the canal and plan to stay on the ship in this port. i have been through hundreds of locks ( of course not as big and spectacular as the panama, but still locks ) since i live along the mississippi river. the tours there are very pricey and i have decided to watch what is going on from the deck or just try to have a few hours by the pool with less passengers aboard. i will not be bored by any means and still have a great time while in colon on the deck seeing what is going on off the ship.

musicmansmom, are you certain that the Legend actually enters the canal? Most Carnival ships dock at Colon without ever entering the Canal. From what I'm reading of the itinerary, Legend does NOT actually go into the canal. I would hate for you to not book any shore excursions assuming that you are entering the canal, to get there and find out you aren't actually going into the canal, and all the shore excursions are booked.

If you really want to see the canal in action, I highly recommend looking for the Panama Canal by Ferry excursion (it's called different things by the different lines but its the same excursion).

musicmansmom, are you certain that the Legend actually enters the canal? Most Carnival ships dock at Colon without ever entering the Canal. From what I'm reading of the itinerary, Legend does NOT actually go into the canal. I would hate for you to not book any shore excursions assuming that you are entering the canal, to get there and find out you aren't actually going into the canal, and all the shore excursions are booked.

If you really want to see the canal in action, I highly recommend looking for the Panama Canal by Ferry excursion (it's called different things by the different lines but its the same excursion).

thanks for the heads-up. you are right , we dont go into the canal :o . i will have to rethink staying on the ship :confused: . im have plenty of time to decide what i want to do now. i will check out the ferry tour .

thanks again, music

thanks for the heads-up. you are right , we dont go into the canal :o . i will have to rethink staying on the ship :confused: . im have plenty of time to decide what i want to do now. i will check out the ferry tour .

thanks again, music

You're welcome. To me that is one huge fault with Carnival's itineraries, they go all the way to Panama but they don't actually enter the canal. I'm certain that you aren't the first person to make the mistake of thinking that the ship actually enters the canal.

There are some very interesting things to see in Panama without actually going in the canal, but if the reason for going is to see the canal then you would be extremely disappointed if you didn't get to see it.

i wont be dissapointed. as i have stated in other post i have been through the mississippi locks hundreds of times ( i know they are not as dramatic as the panama but i will find other things to do while we are in colon for the day. just being on the cruise is enough to keep me happy for a week :D .

We returned from a full transit through the Panama Canal and the only tours we were offered were of Panama City or going back to see the working of the locks in the evening after the full transit. We also had a balcony room and spent most of the day just sitting out and enjoying the view, You'll love the trip.

We returned from a full transit through the Panama Canal and the only tours we were offered were of Panama City or going back to see the working of the locks in the evening after the full transit. We also had a balcony room and spent most of the day just sitting out and enjoying the view, You'll love the trip.

i will have a balcony too and thought i could just set out there in the peace and qiute or spend some time at the pool when it will be less crowded. that sounds like a good plan too me :D

• 4 weeks later...

Our family is considering going on the Regent Seven Seas Mariner Panama Canal cruise from FT Lauderdale to San Francisco, April/May 2007.

Our itinerary will include the following ports:

Ft Lauderdale, Cartagena, Gatun Yacht Club, Puntarenas, Huatulco, Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Los Angeles, Port Hueneme, SF.

My parents have difficulty walking and so I'm wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions for activities in any of the above ports that do not involve walking. If you participated in any tours which were provided by a cruise line which you would particularly recommend, or not recommend, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...
You're welcome. To me that is one huge fault with Carnival's itineraries, they go all the way to Panama but they don't actually enter the canal. I'm certain that you aren't the first person to make the mistake of thinking that the ship actually enters the canal.

There are some very interesting things to see in Panama without actually going in the canal, but if the reason for going is to see the canal then you would be extremely disappointed if you didn't get to see it.

I will be on the 3/12 sailing of the Celebrity Constellation,, which stops at Colon. Does that enter the canal?

I will be on the 3/12 sailing of the Celebrity Constellation,, which stops at Colon. Does that enter the canal?

I'm sorry but I don't know. I know on RCCL's website they show the time their cruises enter Gatun Lake and then the time they are docked at the pier separately. Celebrity's website isn't showing that, but I don't know if that is because it never does, or if your cruise isn't enter Gatun Lake. I would recommend asking on the Celebrity board to see if somebody there knows.

• 1 month later...

Panama is more than a destination, it's an evironmental treasure! Almost anywhere you look there's marine, reptile, insect and mammal life. Finding a trail of Leaf Cutter ants is fascinating in itself, remember to look for the small things in local areas, almost any patch of jungle has a multitude of creatures and the sea waters abound with life too.

• 3 months later...

Archived