Digital cameras as of late

ShadoWdrummer

I checked the old posts before writing this one and its been awhile so I was still wondering what place has the best deals for digital cameras? im going on the valor in 2 weeks and was wondering which island st thomas or st maarten had the best price for digital cameras lately? i was interested in a casio ex-Z750 and if anybody can remember seeing any of em at the islands that would be great! thanks

I checked the old posts before writing this one and its been awhile so I was still wondering what place has the best deals for digital cameras? im going on the valor in 2 weeks and was wondering which island st thomas or st maarten had the best price for digital cameras lately? i was interested in a casio ex-Z750 and if anybody can remember seeing any of em at the islands that would be great! thanks

Your local Wal-Mart or purchase online.

If you get a Sunday paper and look at the sale papers, they always have some great deals on cameras. Some even come with the printing dock free. We were fortunate enough to get our digital camera free from a friend. Even though it is an older model(Sony Cybershot when they first came out), it takes great pictures and we really enjoy it. Just shop around before you take the plunge, there are so many great cameras to choose from. With technology the way it is, they are always going to come out with bigger and better things.

walmart doesnt have it and i know where to get em but i was wondering if anybody knows what kind they have on st thomas and st maarten and which islands have had the best bargains as of late

I'm not sure, but just remember that if you buy it while on your cruise, you have to delcare it and perhaps pay taxes on it. That's always a thought when comparing prices.

You will get two different opinions, as to which is cheaper. I personally like St. Thomas, because it is a US territory and you will have a US warranty. Don't worry about customs and duties, unless you plan on spending a fortune. If I remember correctly your allowance through the VI's is $1600 pp and they can be combined in a family.

What I do is like MrDood, I check out the online prices first by going to www.mysimon.com then I hit Ebay. There are great Photo shops out of Brooklyn N.Y. like B&H that do business on ebay. Example, My Canon EOS 20D Camera came with everything, 2 Zoom Auto Focus Lens, tri pod, Memory card etc. for only 1300.00 with the 5 year warrenty it was 1500.00. The Body alone on this camera cost 1500.00, So check ebay and make sure they Feed back is close to 100%

Fred

walmart doesnt have it and i know where to get em but i was wondering if anybody knows what kind they have on st thomas and st maarten and which islands have had the best bargains as of late

We were just there and my hubby who is into high end electronics and gizmos said neither port had good deals.

Be sure to get an Aquapac case before you leave. You can buy them online direct from the company at:

http://www.aquapac.net

For the price of a couple disposable underwater cameras you can get a case and use your digital under water. These get great reviews and your digital will take better pics as well. I know the price of the waterproof case for one of my cameras from Casio is $145. These are under $50 for both models (Small and Large).

Just make sure you get the large if your camera has a zoom out lens on it.

We were just there and my hubby who is into high end electronics and gizmos said neither port had good deals.

Not sure what he was thinking. Almost anyone that you talk to says that the deals in both St. Thomas and St. Martin beat anything you can get on the mainland by at least 15%. Remember there is not tax in the islands, so that alone will save you 6 - 9 %.

I heard Sony has a new point and shoot Cyber Shot that is suppose to take good quality pix for not a lot of money. Anyone have this or heard about it?

I just bought a Sony DSC-P200 (at Wal-Mart for around $250) 7.2 Megapixel. Autofocus, auto exposure, basically point and shoot.

The image is quality is such that I was able to print images at 17 inches wide to show in a photography show I am part of next month for our local May Festival of Fine Arts.

I HIGHLY recommend this camera, the images are stunning.

What ever camera you decide on, check out www.digitalliquidators.com before you buy. I always check there and at B&H, which someone else already mentioned. I buy from both places for my personal and corporate cameras, but not for accessories. They are too high on that stuff.

corporate cameras?

we have good friends that live there in OKC. We were just there in February, nice town you guys have there!

Not sure what he was thinking. Almost anyone that you talk to says that the deals in both St. Thomas and St. Martin beat anything you can get on the mainland by at least 15%. Remember there is not tax in the islands, so that alone will save you 6 - 9 %.

It depends on what you want to buy, but my experience has been that I can get better prices in the US on the internet than I can in the islands, and still not pay sales tax.

Out of necessity last summer, I had to buy a new flash unit for my camera while in St Thomas. I checked prices when I got home and B&H had a better price. Two years ago, I bought an additional lens for my Nikon in St Thomas, believing the hype about lower prices. It was the same price as on the internet.

Buy in the US before you go on your trip and get to know the camera before you leave.

I did a tour in St Thomas with a professional photographer that has had his business on the island for years. (details on the tour if interested) We were talking about cameras/accessories and he suggested Royal Camera. There is a store on the warf, and the parent store is on Main Street in town. BUT....he also said that for big purchases he orders through B&H, which has been mentioned.

FYI, one tip that everyone has given me is not to buy a huge 1meg memory card. Buy a few smaller capacity cards and swap them out. Then if you have a bad card or something happens to it, you will only loose some of your shots. Also, its a good idea to go to the ships photography counter about half way through the cruise, and have them burn a CD of your shots so far.

Also, its a good idea to go to the ships photography counter about half way through the cruise, and have them burn a CD of your shots so far.

That's a great tip! Beats bringing a laptop just for archiving.

I want to get my DD a digital camera for her birthday. I want a decent one that's very easy to use, relatively small (not mini), takes regular batteries. She will only use/need basic functions. One with its own printer would be good.

Thanks!

OKC is a nice place to live, but beware of the summer heat! As far as the corporate cameras go, I work for a large (9000+ employees) local health system. Digital cameras are used in many facets of healthcare.I usually buy around 20 cameras per year for the two large hospitals.

Archived