Is the Zenith going to be refurbished ?

Chetsky

We just booked the Zenith for a 10 day in Jan. '07. I am more than concerned about some of the posts on her condition. Some say it's OK and others NOT.

The Zenith was launched in 1992 and the last refurbishment I can find was 1999. It seems to me that from some of the posts that a major update is over due. Does anyone have any info if and when this might happen or know if the Zenith is being phased out of the fleet ?

They just dry-docked her last fall and did refurbs on softgoods---carpets, linens, upholsteries, etc. She is what she is; i.e. an old ship, a small ship, not glitzy and full of neon. But she has a wonderful crew who will treat you better than most and you will have a good sail. Don't look for the flaws. They won't jump out at you, most of the time. Go and enjoy. Don't worry about negative posts. Plan on having a good time and you will. We are planning to book out of Tampa also. We love Zenith.

As to being phased out. She probably is, to the regret of many of us. Horizon is already gone. I wish X would consider those of us who like a smaller ship and a gret crew.

We love Zenith too. We are taking our third cruise on her in June. We like her size and her crew is like a warm, friendly, but professional and efficient family. I do wish they would give her a complete refurbishment and keep her in the fleet. I do think there is a place for her and she seems to sail full for the most part. We like taking her to Bermuda because she can dock in both Hamilton and St. George.

I think you will have a good time and enjoy your cruise but if you are looking for a floating shopping mall experience with some Las Vegas neon and glitz thrown in then Zenith may not be the right fit for you.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

I have sailed Zenith 4 times for two weeks each. The food and service is great, the people you'll meet are wonderful. I have no complaints about the staff but I like the other Celebrity ships so much more that I would only sail Zenith again if the price was much lower than her sister ships. I will not shed a tear as she leaves the fleet and her wonderful crew is shipped to newer vessels. Century, Mercury & Galaxy have a third more passengers but are half again as large... which means more space per passenger. I just find the dining areas and public areas too crowded. If the price is good go for it. You'll get Celebrity at a discount but there are many HAL ships of the same age and size as Zenith that are much nicer with comparable food and service.

(Part of my dislike of Zenith is based on the fact that she was a sick ship the last time I was on board... we did not part on the best of terms):(

Thanx for the replies. I work for HAL in shore services at the Port of Tampa. We recently toured the Veendam and Ryndam - both ships are 55K tons - 1250 PAX and immaculate. I haven't sailed on a ship that small since the 80s' and forgot just how nice the "small ship" feel is. The smallest ship I've been on in the last 20 years has been in the 70K ton + range and alot newer.

I've decided to try a smaller ship again but I don't want to cruise on a ship that has a lot of "issues". I know a ship that is 14 years old has to look "lived in" and show her age but I don't want to deal with air conditioning, odor, plumbing or soft good problems.

The reason I am sailing on X instead of HAL is money and embarkation port- I got a heck of a $$ deal on this ten day and I live in the Tampa area.

We recently toured the Veendam and Ryndam - both ships are 55K tons - 1250 PAX and immaculate

January 15, 2005 we sailed on Veendam for 14 days. We got off and drove to JAX to sail on Zenith January 30th. The Veendam was a much nicer ship than Zenith.. about the same age but like a Ritz compared to a Day's Inn.

Since then we have sailed on Zenith again, Century 2X, Summit 2X, Mercury 3X. We have not been back to HAL but would prefer the wood & brass of ambience of the older HAL ships to the white formica of Zenith. We have been Celebrity fanatics but we used to sail a lot on HAL. The products are not that far apart.. Our next voyages are all on RCL/Celebrity but we might stray again. For the smaller ships look elsewhere than Zenith (sorry Ships R Great, you are one of those nice pax you get to meet on Celebrity but our tastes vary on this Z topic)

C2C,

I have sailed the Oesterdam and Zenith within the last year, amongst others. I must say, that while the Oesterdam was a "newer ship" with lots of "wood and brass," the service on Zenith was by far superior, especially in the dinning room. I will take her for that reason any day. And she would not be a Days Inn, in my oppinion, just as the Oesterdam would hardly rank a Ritz.

C2C,

I have sailed the Oesterdam and Zenith within the last year, amongst others. I must say, that while the Oesterdam was a "newer ship" with lots of "wood and brass," the service on Zenith was by far superior, especially in the dinning room. I will take her for that reason any day. And she would not be a Days Inn, in my oppinion, just as the Oesterdam would hardly rank a Ritz.

I have never been on any of HAL Vista class ships such as the Oosterdam. I have only sailed on Amsterdam, Maasdam, Volendam, Veendam, Zaandam... all the wood & brass types. I just have a soft spot for all the traditional paintings and ship models as opposed to modern art on Celebrity. I just find nothing classy aboard Zenith. I will not complain about the food and service aboard Zenith which is outstanding.. only the appearance of the ship I found wanting... but my last image involves chlorine streaks everywhere. Many people love Zenith; I like every other Celebrity ship better. I'm just stating if its a good deal go for it, otherwise there are better choices for me.

C2C

I think we are on the same page as far as the ships decoration/construction. I did my honeymoon on the Volendam in a previous era (not the current ship.) I have always loved the HAL ships. (... although once again, it is not Ritz quality.) But their service is lacking. I value that more.

Just my humble opinion

I'm always amazed how service and food can vary on the same ship from cruise to cruise. There is no lounge that I find more appealing than Michael's Club on Celebrity ships. The smaller HAL ships are like that. As the cruiselines combat the increasing cost of fuel without charging passengers a fuel surcharge, I'm afraid other costs will have to be reduced. Company stock must not be allowed to fall too far... where will the savings come from??

Food? Service?... Increased pressure to sell more wine, bingo etc??

I'm just glad there are ships and cruises for all tastes and destinations including Zenith.:)

:) We just got off Infinity...departed San Francisco and on to Mexico ports....loved it but, like a lot of others, we love Zenith too! Word we heard aboard Infinity was they are negotiating to sell Zenith just like they did Horizon several months ago.:mad: Seems all the lines have the bug about "economy of scale" and all are going to bigger and bigger.:confused: Personally, I don't believe that necessarily translates into better and better. We're booked on Zenith for Nov. 27 sailing out of Tampa and cross our fingers that they don't find a buyer before we board then.

Guess somebody likes thousands of fellow passengers. I'll be happy for just a few hundred....and let them all be brought up to be courteous.:)

We find it interesting to see Zenith referred to as a small ship. Before our Horizon cruise in 2003, we compared Horizon with the Titanic. They're about the same size. That's small? We've had seven cruises including the Horizon, with our upcoming 5/13 Zenith cruise as our eighth. The Horizon-Zenith ships have 200 more PAX than anything else we've sailed on.

If we have any concerns about Zenith, they involve the question of whether we'll be able to like a large mass market ship after being on Regent and Windstar. I hope and think we'll be OK.

I do hope that X keeps Zenith, so there is at least one human scale ship. I wouldn't bet on it, though. When the new monsters come on line, Zenith will probably be gone.

Horizon is now with Island Cruises. I believe that's a sister company, and that Horizon was transferred, not sold. Balconies were added after the transfer. Too bad they couldn't add balconies and keep it with X.

Archived