news story about a drunk and travel insurance

muttley

In the US you will receive emergency care at a US Hospital regardless of whether you have insurance. Mexicans travelling in the US would have their bones set and brain scanned for internal injuries. I don't know how it works in Canada but at least with our insurance system here they will pay for emergency care abroad (not airvac back to the US). Sad story for that Canadian.

That is not so......If you go to U.S. hospital you need to pay upfront before they will treat you or they send you a huge bill .

Our health ins. will cover us for the same amount as back home in a U.S. hospital but our daily rate is much lower per day.

A little off topic but I can relate so much to health insurance issues. My family of four was about $700. month for traditional ins.

I found one for $250 month and signed up for a HSA plan.. (tax free savings plan) the deductible is high and not great prescription coverage but it covers major medical (surgery, emergency, major illness - cancer etc) and that's all I really need. Golden Rule is who I picked.. good rating.

I upped the Medical on our auto insurance as well in case of auto accident.

I hope this might help someone who thinks they can't afford insurance. It gives me a peace of mind and I feel better knowing if something horrible happens, we won't be bankrupt for life.

Do anyone in your family have diabetes? Or Lupuis or Adamison's disease? Did you have a child born with numerous birth defects? No one will insure people with those kind of health issues for $700 a month.

Back to what a said-a middle class person-just slightly above the poverty level is up a creek.

Right now my daughter makes $6 an hour-she has a college degree-she just has not been able to find work in her field-she has looked into buying health insurance-and because of her health history-no one wants to insure her for less then $800 a month-her ALONE and that is with like a $2000 a year deductable. She can't afford that on $6 an hour.

She also cannot qualify for medicaid because she lives with us. But she does not want that anyway-she just wants a decent paying job with benefits.

This is one of the reasons why I've always been wary about traveling to 3rd world countries; if something happened, that perhaps they'd refuse to treat me, or that their medical technology would be sufficiently advanced to bore a hole in my head to let the evil spirits out.

There's a certain standard of decency/care that one can expect anywhere in the 1st world, be it the USA, Canada, the UK, France, Sweden, Japan, or what have you. I've always wondered if that would extend further down the economic ladder. Whether it does or not, apparently it doesn't extend to Mexico. One less place to consider visiting, anyway.

I'm truly sorry for this young man's injuries and situation.

HOWEVER, (putting on my flame resistant clothing).

What right minded person who was unemployed and without medical insurance would lay out the money for a vacation? If he had, perhaps, been looking for work, putting away what money he had for a possible emergency instead of drinking and partying on vacation in Mexico, he wouldn't be in the situation he's in now.

I think it surly show a lack of responsibility and common scence to get yourself in such a predicament.

I'm truly sorry for this young man's injuries and situation.

HOWEVER, (putting on my flame resistant clothing).

What right minded person who was unemployed and without medical insurance would lay out the money for a vacation? If he had, perhaps, been looking for work, putting away what money he had for a possible emergency instead of drinking and partying on vacation in Mexico, he wouldn't be in the situation he's in now.

I think it surly show a lack of responsibility and common scence to get yourself in such a predicament.

K&R

you don't need your flame clothes with me I totaly agree with you

Archived