Behind The Scenes Tour

sladerbee

Where do you want to go? Most cruise lines offer a "galley tour". Years ago you might have been able to see the bridge, but haven't seen that since 9/11. I had a theater group on a cruise in January and arranged for a back stage tour (which they loved!) One of the entertainers told them that they had never before seen a group granted that privilege. Nobody gets into the engine room.

I've done a galley tour as well, pretty interesting! I have also been fortunate enough to do a bridge tour, but that was back in 1991. I had an impromptu back stage tour when we met up and hung out with some of the entertainment staff a few years ago.

Mrsfuzzmo

I've done a couple galley tours, a couple bridge tours, and the backstage tour on Sapphire recently. This was the first time we did the backstage tour and it was really interesting to see how the shows operate and how the performers have to get everything lined up for quick costume changes during the show.

Galley tours are fun and interesting.

I don't know about other ships,

but on this one ship the Midnight Buffet was also the galley tour,

while going through the galley, each station had out for the buffet the particular food that is prepared there. That was a good touch, and made the tour more interesting and fun.

Nobody gets into the engine room.

That's not exactly true. Things sometimes happen.

If you want a tour somewhere, the place to start is asking for it. I would write a letter to the Captain, delivered via the pursers desk. The worst that can happen is that you never hear anything from it. The best that can happen can be beyond your wildest expectation. It could definitely be worth 10 minutes on your word processor with the printer set on fine print and nice paper. Hope this helps a little.

it is rare that some one walks up to you cold and asks if you want a tour of the bridge. If you ask, there is a 99% probability they will say no. There is that 1% tho....and there are ways to increase your odds. I admit it - I cheat. Having a business card that says you're in the industry seems to help a lot...I have passed them to Master during rcving line, and via thepursur desk. A Naval uniform can help too. Over the years I've been able to find my way to:

• Bridge tour
  • On bridge departing port, dd sounded ship's whistle
  • Dinner at Master's Table
  • Met Master for drinks and long conversation - swapped sea stories
  • Went on 'liberty' with Master
  • Self and father accompanied Master on his daily 'walk about' - aka a 3 hour tour from shaft alley to the top of the pilot house.
  • Accompanied Master on bridge wing during mooring evolution

Some Masters are anxious to find someone they can talk shop with .... not all .... I never asked for any of these things...they were offered after introducing myself, having some conversation and bring up the fact that I was in a similar line of work ....

and wrt to 'no way since 9/11' .... well much less common it is true, but there's something nice about being a Ship's Captain ;) there are rules .... and then there are 'rules' ...

Archived