Cabin 1600 on Radiance of the Seas

We were on the Serenade in January which is the same class as the Radiance, I believe.

This will probably be one of the only negative comments you get on this particular cabin. Here goes --

Very long walk to everywhere.

The cabin is shaped oddly. It is an interesting design with one little flaw -- the bed is situated on the angled wall making for some uncomfortable motion when the ship is moving. Instead of rolling from side to side or head to toe, the motion is on an angle and really kind of disorienting. I spent most nights on the couch, which was on a straight wall.

The much ballyhooed balcony is not "wraparound" nor is it enormous. It does have two lounge chairs, but I didn't see anything so special about it.

The cabin is directly under an outdoor eating area which makes for some noise.

The corridor that runs across the aft of the ship was an exercise area for toddlers and their parents. A small hall where kids could run free like little puppies!

We sailed during a particularly rough and stormy week, so the motion we felt in the cabin may have been exagerated.

We counted 150 paces from midship to our cabin. There are no passenger stairs near the cabin. So if it is important to be near everything, please consider that even though it appears that you are close to stairs, you are not.

The room was very nice, but not worth the long treks to the stairs or elevators. It's back to midship for us.

Judy

Hi there! We sailed in 1600 on Radiance in 2003 for our Hawaii trip. It was wonderful, if you like AFT cabins. Yes, the walk is long, but the low noise, and quiet of 1600 is beautiful. The balcony is not a wrap-around like the Voyager balconies, but very large. We had two lounge chairs, two chairs and two tables on our cruise and still loads of room left over.

Yes, the bed is on an angle, to conserve space, and the typical GS cradenza is against the wall in 1600, since the room is more of a triangle (not a rectangle or square).

Karen, if you can, 1100 is even better! We LOVED that cabin, but our next favorite was 1600.:D

Has anyone ever stayed in the aft Grand Suite Cabin 1600 on the Radiance of the Seas? If so, what did you think of it? It is an odd shape and we were wondering if it is as spacious as the other GS cabins. Thanks.

Cannot tell you about that one but we will be in GS 1556 which is on the starboard side hump.

I noticed last week that the aft GS opened up on my Jewel cruise for December. We have cabin #1554 which is the hump GS next to the RS. I kept going back and forth as to change cabins but in the end I left it as is after reading many comments on this board. Seems #1554 is a better choice even though I love the aft cabins.

I love aft staterooms, 1100 being my absolute favorite. But! I also like getting what I pay for, and 1600 is a poor Grand Suite. Compared to the regular Grand Suites, 1600 is lacking is general spaciousness and light! Regular Grand Suites have so many wonderful windows to let that light in! Not so for 1600.

Leslie

Judy and Steve,

We're booked in an aft cabin on the Radiance for next year. I have been meaning to post the question about the lack of an elevator at the back of the ship, but did think the staircase on the deck plan between 1084 and 1584 would be for passengers. Are you saying there is no staircase past the hump staircase for passengers? That would appear to be a safety concern, not just an inconvenience. I assumed the small staircase by cabin 1100 is for crew only. Hopefully someone on this thread will know my answer.

The room was great the view was too. You could see both sides of the ship back end and one side. So funny cause we were just talking about that and hated the walk!!!!! BUT on the flip side is there anything wrong w/a little exersize?? We thought not until the 3rd-4th night when you forgot something, ug what a walk. But anyway the GS and so great, ENJOY!

Stephany

TYRkitty: That is absolutely correct. Other than the staircases located in mid-ship, there are none at the AFT or even mid-way to the Centrium. In an emergency, crew stairs could always be used. The crew staircase leads up to the Windjammer. Some crew allow you to use them, others do not. Simply ask first and that alleviates any embarassing moments. The doors are VERY heavy to the crew staircase, and the crew carry trays for room service through those doors, so being careful not to go too quickly is very important for the safety of all - one of the main reasons NOT to use those stairs....

I think 1600 is a nice cabin, but don't have any basis for comparison with the other GS cabins. For the money, JS 1100 is a far better bargain, IMHO - the balcony is larger, and the room is plenty spacious for 2. Here are links to a couple of my pictures of 1100 on Radiance and 1600 on Brilliance:

http://community.webshots.com/album/548908218rSJtnN (1100)

http://community.webshots.com/album/548912195NSbhAj (1600)

The layout of 1600 is just plain weird - there's a long entryway to a chair in the corner, where there is nothing to see if you're sitting in it. Just a dumb bit of design. And the dressing area gets very crowded, as it's squished into a corner next to the bed & vanity. All quibbles if you're comparing to a standard balcony, mind you, but if you're paying for a GS you should have a well-designed room. We would take it again in a heartbeat, but are trying midships for our next cruise, and I have a feeling we're going to prefer that, even though we adore the aft cabins and don't mind the walk at all.

Judy and Steve,

We're booked in an aft cabin on the Radiance for next year. I have been meaning to post the question about the lack of an elevator at the back of the ship, but did think the staircase on the deck plan between 1084 and 1584 would be for passengers. Are you saying there is no staircase past the hump staircase for passengers? That would appear to be a safety concern, not just an inconvenience. I assumed the small staircase by cabin 1100 is for crew only. Hopefully someone on this thread will know my answer.

We were under the mistaken notion that there was an accessible staircase in the back of the ship. There are lots of crew-only places on the ship, and this staircase is one of them. When we boarded the ship, the stairs were open, but once we set sail, you couldn't even tell there was a staircase. I'm sure that in an emergency these stairs would be opened to everybody.

It was a most inconvenient location -- for us. I also thought the GS was a little strange in its layout and lack of windows. We were on AOS last year and had a GS midship. It was gorgeous and had more space than we ever could use. We booked a JS on the Serenade for next January. The concierge service associated with GS and higher just wasn't worth the extra $$ this time, since we are travelling with friends and they won't have access to the lounge.

--Judy

Archived