Travel Insurance Questions...

patti1010

My husband and I had plans for a cruise to begin next week. We purchased the travel insurance for the cruise at the time of booking. We purchased the insurance for the hotel and airfare when each of those was booked.

We will not be able to go due to a medical issue that has arisen. I contacted the various companies to go about making the claim. I received from the first company I contacted multiple forms to fill out. One of the forms gave permission to look at my medical records!!! It gives them authorization to contact doctors, insurance companies and the like. Additionally, there was a statement for a doctor to fill out regarding any previous history of illness.

I was in the process of acquiring a "doctor's letter" at the time I received test results that prevented the trip from taking place. I have a legitimate claim but if an insurance company wanted to, I imagine they could make anything out of previous records if they are given blanket access. Not to be mysterious about the illness...I have a cough (never a smoker) that was first thought to be allergies, then I got pneumonia which was treated, then it was thought to be asthma, and the recent test results revealed a fungal infection in the lungs (Valley Fever) that had reactivated although it was thought to be eradicated 2 yrs. earlier. Realistically, I have a history of what they can call a "pre-existing condition" although the cough by itself has never stopped me from doing anything. This type of fungal infection re-activates in about 1% of those who get it. Trust me, you would not want to be captive on an airplane or ship with someone who coughs like they have bird flu even though I am not contagious. What is most debilitating for me is the fatigue, headache and joint pain.

I don't think they should have the right to access any records at their choosing. I am seeing a doctor at the Mayo Clinic which I would imagine gives a certain sense of integrity. I don't have a problem with them contacting the doctor to make sure he isn't my Uncle Pete just writing me out a letter, but I have real issues with them having access to anything other than my current diagnosis and the doctor's verification that the symptoms would prevent me from going on this long awaited cruise.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I am considering talking to a lawyer, but money is not all that abundant and I would like to have more input first.

Thanks, Patti

My husband and I had plans for a cruise to begin next week. We purchased the travel insurance for the cruise at the time of booking. We purchased the insurance for the hotel and airfare when each of those was booked.

We will not be able to go due to a medical issue that has arisen. I contacted the various companies to go about making the claim. I received from the first company I contacted multiple forms to fill out. One of the forms gave permission to look at my medical records!!! It gives them authorization to contact doctors, insurance companies and the like. Additionally, there was a statement for a doctor to fill out regarding any previous history of illness.

I was in the process of acquiring a "doctor's letter" at the time I received test results that prevented the trip from taking place. I have a legitimate claim but if an insurance company wanted to, I imagine they could make anything out of previous records if they are given blanket access. Not to be mysterious about the illness...I have a cough (never a smoker) that was first thought to be allergies, then I got pneumonia which was treated, then it was thought to be asthma, and the recent test results revealed a fungal infection in the lungs (Valley Fever) that had reactivated although it was thought to be eradicated 2 yrs. earlier. Realistically, I have a history of what they can call a "pre-existing condition" although the cough by itself has never stopped me from doing anything. This type of fungal infection re-activates in about 1% of those who get it. Trust me, you would not want to be captive on an airplane or ship with someone who coughs like they have bird flu even though I am not contagious. What is most debilitating for me is the fatigue, headache and joint pain.

I don't think they should have the right to access any records at their choosing. I am seeing a doctor at the Mayo Clinic which I would imagine gives a certain sense of integrity. I don't have a problem with them contacting the doctor to make sure he isn't my Uncle Pete just writing me out a letter, but I have real issues with them having access to anything other than my current diagnosis and the doctor's verification that the symptoms would prevent me from going on this long awaited cruise.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I am considering talking to a lawyer, but money is not all that abundant and I would like to have more input first.

Thanks, Patti

Hi Patti,

I'm sorry you have to postpone your cruise. How disappointing! I also hope you are well soon.

Every insurance thing I have ever seen has a deal in it that they must see your medical records if you want to be covered by their company. Its a pain, and it seems very intrusive, but there it is. Someone more knowledgable than I, about insurance, will come along and tell all. In the meantime, I'm sure your foresight in purchasing insurance as soon as you booked will pay off, in that your preexisting conditions should be covered. The only insurance I know of that has slightly different coverage is Princess, and that is that you have to have NOT been treated for your "condition" for the 60 days before you purchased your insurance.........as I understand it.

Hope we'll soon be reading about your next cruise.

Patti,

So sorry to hear about the change in plans. That's got to be disappointing. I agree with what Desert (or is it Dessert?) Dreamer....in order to prevent insurance fraud, insurance cos. have the right to accesss your records. When you purchase the policy (not just travel insurance), you give them access.

I'm sure your claim will be handled properly. Since you're already sick, please don't add to your stress.

Roz

To directly answer your question, if you are making a medical claim, it is not unreasonable for them to request medical records. However, if you bought the insurance within 14 days of booking your travel AND they have a clause which waives pre-existing medical conditions (which MOST of the reputable independent companies do have), then I would suggest they are only entitled to view the medical records directly related to your claim. (I am not an attorney, so my opinion may only make logical --- as opposed to legal --- sense).

I find it interesting that you bought 3 separate insurance policies, when one would do. Most independent polices will cover ALL of your travel arrangements.

Here are 16 VERY important things to consider when buying cruise insurance...

Good luck in your claim process.

I appreciate everyone's input. I re-checked the insurance I purchased with ***********.com which was ITI and pre-existing conditions are waived. Caribbeanbound I am glad we are in agreement that there should be no need to access any records other than what would specifically be needed to confirm the illness that is creating the cancellation. Don't know if our opinions mean diddly when it comes to paying out however!!

I purchased three separate policies without even thinking I could have one to cover all. I booked each part of the trip online at different times/web sites and just took the insurance to make sure I had coverage. Sure would have been smarter and easier. Each trip I take I become a little more wise. I already learned my lesson about not getting insurance and the unexpected happening.

I hope to re-book sometime when it is not hurricane season.

Patti

As was stated....if you purchased within 14 days of your initial deposit, most insurers waive any pre-existing medical conditions.

If you purchased insurance after that two week period each company has a specific "look back" time period ranging from 60 to 180 days from the date you purchased the policy.

It was my understanding that as long as you were not diagnosed or treated for a new medical problem, (during this "look back" period), that could cause you to cancel....you are OK. So, if you had an allergic cough or asthma that had been treated and controlled by medication for years...that is not considered a pre-existing condition. If, during this "look back" period, the doctor now discovers something new and something that would require additional treatment and prevent your traveling......you would not be covered..........And remember....these regulations apply to other family members who are not traveling with you but whose health issues might directly relate to your travel plans.

Guess it is best to purchase insurance at the time you book and pay your initial deposit!!!

Am I correct in my interpretation?:confused:

Marty

We had to cancel our 2/06 Cruise when I hurt my back less than two weeks before the cruise...The insurance was with Travel Guard....no coverage for pre-existing condition....

I called in the claim the same day saw the MD. When I received the forms, I authorized my MD to release the medical notes for that visit only...I attached a copy of the xray and MRI report...we had a check in 3 weeks for the full amount...No need to get a lawyer...you can have control over what they need to see.

Hope it works out for you and you can re-book!

Archived