Bruno´s or Princess for drift snorkel?

pianist

I'm confused by this too. We ended up scheduling Bruno's tour. The Princess and Bruno's both do drift snorkels but it cost $95 for Princess for 2 and 1/2hours and a full day for Bruno's with lunch for $100 so we thought why not go for the extra $5. Although the Princess Cruise excursion is strictly drift snorkeling and Bruno's is drift snorkeling, pearl farm, and vanilla plantation. Hope this helps.

Please do neither and just sign up with Stephan of Mata tours when you dock. All day with light lunch was $45 per person. He will follow the ship the next day to Bora Bora so we just signed up again once we tender in. WAVTAM

be aware, Stephan is not always there. we couldn't find hem when we were there last. Dont book through Princess, way overpriced. If youson't go with Buno, check with Tony at West coast charters( inside the visitor center). they are the company Princess uses, and if Princess isn't using all of their boats, you should be able to book them. We have, twice. I think it was 65pp last year.

I was on the March 30 sailing and did the Princess Drift Snorkel. It was amazing; by far the best experience on any island. You can take a chance with Bruno or another tour, but why risk it? At least that was my thought.

BTW -- not only was the drift snorkel great -- the boat ride over was nice, too. We saw great close ups of Tahaa, some expensive resorts, dolphins (they were right next to the boat) and sting rays, too.

We did the drift snorkle through Princess and were very satisfied both with the money spent and the excursion. Our 'host' was an ex Navy Seal and stayed in the water with us the entire time. We were taken to a little motu, but warned that the current was running fast. a large number of us less adventurous types stayed behind and had a great snorkle on our won until they came back and then we were taken to a coral shelf that was just eye popping. Fruits, fresh breads, cookies, juice and soda was also offered on board.

Wor to the wise, before you go, check out the price of hard-soled dive booties -not the Wal Mart specials for $5.99. Pay the extra money and get some good dive booties that can work with your fins or alone. We wore ours nearly constantly on excursions. Also get a good pair of gloves and you won't have to worry about battling the black sea urchins. Stepping on one of those can really ruin your day.

Whichever drift snorkl you take, make sure you listen to the excursion leaders, don't drink and use a really good sun block. You will be amazed at what you'll see.

Charlie

I heard only good things about the drift snorkel with Princess :)

I just got off the April 19th sailing and Bruno cancelled his tour because of bad weather but the people who booked w/ Princess still got to go on the drift snorkel and said it was amazing!!! :)

We did the drift snorkel thru Princess, mainly because I didn't want to commit a full day to a tour that day. It was great, only 12 per boat and we saw tons of dolphins and a few stingrays. Back in time for lunch and browsing the huts for souvenirs, which had a nice selection. The coral gardens are quite lovely and a lot of fun.

I assume you need these for the coral gardens but not regular snorkeling. We only go snorkeling and swiming on vacations to the tripics so do not have regular expensive equipment.

Please let me know where I can get some booties and gloves and some of the brand names and possibly prices. Our local SportsMart and Big 5 do not carry a lot of snorkel equipment and no scuba equipment.

Thanks,

Norine

I assume you need these for the coral gardens but not regular snorkeling. We only go snorkeling and swiming on vacations to the tripics so do not have regular expensive equipment.

Please let me know where I can get some booties and gloves and some of the brand names and possibly prices. Our local SportsMart and Big 5 do not carry a lot of snorkel equipment and no scuba equipment.

Thanks,

Norine

I did not use dive boots, just regular water shoes - my shoes had a lot thicker sole than my husband's dive booties. One gentleman traded his boots for the guide's flip flips since the soles were thicker. (Some dive booties usually are used with the more expensive flippers or you can buy the boots separately.) I'd just go buy the watershoes at Wal-mart - about $10. The guides in our group (Princess drift snorkel) carried a bag and transported our shoes for us, so we didn't have to keep up with them if we didn't use them with our fins (which I did not).

As to the gloves, I have heard of people using garden gloves. We purchased ours from an online scuba store, www.123scuba.com. We were certainly glad we had them - my husband was very impressed since we really needed them on the drift snorkel.

Sam's clubs or Wal-mart typically have pretty decent snorkel gear by Body Glove, for about $30. They also sold some on the cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from TP 4/29 cruise...perfect weather..some rain, 1 on sea day and just 2 short showers on two other days...nothing to spoil the cruise.

Re: BRUNO...WE TOOK HIS TOUR AND HE WAS GREAT. MY HUBBY LIKED HIS TOUR THE BEST OF ALL ISLANDS. He never left our side as some other threads have said, the food was fantastic and Bruno guided the group twice thru the coral reefs. VERY LIKABLE PERSON...GO WITH HIM.

Word to the wise...Bruno takes only 12 - 14 and he turned several people away on the dock saying he was full. Six (6) people did NOT SHOW (for a lame reason I later found out!) and I would suggest if Bruno is full, WAIT at least until right before take off time in case he has no-shows. I felt very bad for him as he lost revenue on our trip. His wife and son come along. Just a great day..from 8:45am to 4:45pm.

:) :) :)

I CANNOT IMAGINE BRUNO NOT SHOWING UP FOR NO REASON AT ALL.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest linsilve

We were on the 4/29 TP sailing also and went with Bruno. Excellent day. He was very helpful, explained the pearl farm, the vanilla bean farm. Went snorkeling with us, showed us the fish and stingrays at the Motu, great lunch, great time doing the drift snorkel at the Coral Gardens. Most of us didn't understand his plan regarding the drift snorkel and only a few went with him. He found out what happened and took the rest of us on the drift for a second time. Watershoes needed, gloves not necessary. Just relax and enjoy, beautiful fish and coral. Great day, well worth the price.

Rich and Linda

We recommend Bruno, no question about it.

Archived