Help with tours

mikeallen

My wife and I are scheduled on the Summit (celebrity) for 7/01/06 northbound cruise with land tour to follow. It has been my experience that advice from those who have been to the ports we are going to is most helpful, in particular as to tours. We want to do a whale sightseeing tour and don't know if it's better in Juneau or Icy point and with regards to the best tour in each place. Also, we want to do the White Pass RR and Yukon expedition tour in Skagway but it is a full day and don't know if it's worthwhile or if another combo with the White Pass is better. Any help would be most appreciated as to tours in either of the above locations as well as in Sitka and Juneau.

We have cruised in the past a number of time to Baltic , mediterranean, Polynesia, Greek Islands and caribbean and have always found advice from past experiences of others helpful.

Thanks

mikeallen

I think (only from the messages on this board, not personal experience) that Icy Strait provides a better time with more whales.

I'm not sure about the rest. I'd say to check out the Icy Strait Thread. There's a lot of suggestions there.

Having been to both ISP and Juneau (I live here... spend lots of time in each port) I don't know that I would say whale watching is "better" at one or the other. Both ports are generally regarded as the best whale watching on the Inside Passage.

Juneau will offer a larger variety of independent operators to choose from (Orca Enterprises, Alaska Galore, AK Whale Watching, Alaskan Marine Adventures, Harv & Marv...just to name a few.)

-Case

Being a bit more direct than usual, if you think that all of the combos etc. are too mind boggling, here in Skagway, just come on into Skagway, without all of the mind boggling tours, look up the valley, if it is clear, jump on to the train. You won't be disappointed just doing the basic train trip if the day is clear!

Otherwise, check in with the National Park Service for the only straight Scoop you will get in this whole town and a lot of freebies to boot! DD:D

I would book your whale watch where it fits your schedule best, both are good areas.

The White Pass RR combo tour into the Yukon is a long day, but gets consistantly good reviews and offers a very nice itinerary.

There are plenty of excellent tours to recommend, but you need to determine and list your interests and budget, there is no point in me raving about "my" favorites since they may be of no interest to you.

Best is to look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, list perhaps, your top 3 choices?? For further tour information request visitor guides http://www.traveljuneau.com http://www.sitka.org http://www.skagway.com

Archived