Key West Cancelled!!

RAIDERMOM

I am on the Glory, July 1 2006 and one of our stops was Key West

After reading posts on cruise critic last night about a possible cancellation of this port, I called Carnival today and was told that this port is cancelled, the person I spoke to did not know why and a decision on the substitute port will be next week.

As you can see on these boards this question is a hot one......here is the info so far.

Key West was not the original stop but because of the Hurricane in Cozumel they changed to Key West.....seems that Cozumel may be ready to start taking cruise lines again. No official word yet but we are on the Glory 5/20 and it seems that we are heading to Cozumel. Will keep you posted as soon as official word is out or as soon as we get back from our cruise (which ever comes first)

Is Carnival giving any indication as to why Key West is being removed from the Glory's itinerary?

Also, does anyone know when this goes into effect? I have friends on the May 20th sailing who want to know. Thanks!!

Word on the boards is the Navy will be using the docks. As to the validity of that statement....??

When we booked our Glory cruise for July of 2005 - the ports were Key West, Progresso, Cozumel and Belize.

In May, 2005 - Carnival dropped Progresso (rumor ship was running late returning to Port Canaveral).

If you read the Carnival brochure/booklet it states that ports may be changed/dropped without prior notice.

We were disappointed, we choose this ship because we wanted to do Progresso - oh well. As a prior poster said, don't choose a port OR if a port is a must - do land!

When we booked our Glory cruise for July of 2005 - the ports were Key West, Progresso, Cozumel and Belize.

In May, 2005 - Carnival dropped Progresso (rumor ship was running late returning to Port Canaveral).

If you read the Carnival brochure/booklet it states that ports may be changed/dropped without prior notice.

We were disappointed, we choose this ship because we wanted to do Progresso - oh well. As a prior poster said, don't choose a port OR if a port is a must - do land!

Don't be disappointed about Progresso. If you haven't been before it's really not that great of a port. Been there twice, not impressed. :cool:

reaidermom, you haven't been on the roll call in a while. we've missed you. not sure how i feel about losing key west as a port. we have been there several times on land based vacations and love it. If Cozumel is going to be added that's ok but we have been there as a cruise port. it was ok but we did the excursion that we wanted to do, so now i will have to search for something else to do there or just stay on the ship. decisions decisions

hope you will drop by the roll call and say hi and keep us posted if you hear anything else on the matter

cruisebunny40

IMO, dropping Key West is a good decision on Carnivals part. It's so crowded and I was bored to tears unless you were interested in drinking your way through the bars.

Progresso was dropped after the Glory got back to PC nine hours late due to wind there (I was on it.)

I am upset with Carnival.

First they tell me and another person in my group that Key West has been cancelled. My travel agent has called three times today and has spoken to three different people in various departments and they all tell her that Key West is still on????

They need to get their act together and give out the same information!!

While I like the idea of subbing Cozumel for Key West, I would have been happy if they were just able to schedule more time in Key West - it sounds like it has been a VERY rushed stop. Two hours to get off the ship, and then only three hours left to see anything? Geez, gimme a break.

Key West is very different from island ports in that while other places very much want the revenue from being a cruise ship destination and bend over backward to accomodate major cruiselines, Key West has other priorities.

The cruise port is very controversial in local politics. One of the factors driving afternoon departures is that land-based resorts don't want the ships blocking the view of sunset.

Not to mention the naval base, etc. that are down there.

I am on the Glory, July 1 2006 and one of our stops was Key West

After reading posts on cruise critic last night about a possible cancellation of this port, I called Carnival today and was told that this port is cancelled, the person I spoke to did not know why and a decision on the substitute port will be next week.

We're going to be on the Glory 5/6. Key West is always the same whether it is a land based vacation or a cruise. Not much to do. :p Wouldn't bother me if it was cancelled. Hope we get to go to Belize though. Haven't been there before. Costa Maya either. Am looking for new sights to see.

Luv's Crusin'

Been to Key West many times, and think it's a great port. Stayed there for days on end. Of course, I was "drinking my way through the bars" each and every time. That may or may not have colored my opinion.. I can't decide.

jb

Festivale '89

Holiday '90

Fantasy (the really old one with the NEON Century Blvd.) '91

(and here I lose track of the years...)

Carnivale

Sunward II

Tropicale

Costa Allegra (formally a container ship--I kid you not)

Fascination

Fantasy (the really old one with the NEON Century Blvd.)

Regency Rainbow

Fascination (Aruba Solar Eclipse 1998) O.K. There's a year

Costa Atlantica

Fantasy (the remodeled version with the Roman Theme)

"I drank my way through every bar on each ship"

AND, next

Fantasy (the remodeled version with the Roman Theme)--June 23

I'm going on the Glory in November. I've always liked Key West, but would mind subbing Cozumel over it. I would guess Sunday would be a "Fun Day" at sea and Monday we'd stop in Cozumel.

Sat. - Ft. Lauderdale

Sun. - at sea

Mon. - Cozumel

Tue. - Belize

Wed. - Costa Maya

Thu. - at sea

Fri. - at sea

Sat. - Ft. Lauderdale

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this is actually happening.

FYI,

According to the Carnival Book I received, the section that says "Things to know before you go" States that if a port is cancelled before a sailing, within 24 hours from finding out that the port is cancelled or changed you can cancel your cruise for a full refund with no penalties. I am also sailing on the Glory May 20th. Personally, I HOPE Key West is cancelled and replaced with another port of call, especially after reading all the horror stories about the lines and trying to get off the boat. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Note to anyone else sailing May 20th, if anyone is interested, look for me with my Texas Hold em table and chips for a $5 buy in game! My father and I love to play, and don't want to have to wait for the ONE TABLE to open up, or allow carnival to get its house share! lol

I called a PVP at carnival a few moments ago regarding my May 20th sailing. He checked with his supervisor, and stated that the online reservation system glitched, causing all previously purchased Key West Excursions (for cruises May 20th and later) to be refunded. He stated that although this is usually due to an itinerary change, this was only a computer glitch, and that from what his supervisor knew, Key West was still on. I know that many times PVPs don't know the whole story, so I am still hoping that there is an itinerary change. Just don't want to get my hopes up too high. Would love for it to be cancelled for another port of call though.

I will call again tomorrow to see if I get a different answer. Still have my fingers crossed.

Guys

I just checked the Carnival website. You can view excursions for Key West, but no prices are given and you cannot book them. Wouldn't a "glitch" that costs them money be fixed by now? You can book excursions at all other stops for the May 20 sailing.

As I have written on other threads, my TA was told by Carnival yesterday afternoon that a change was being "considered". My TA was upset I heard about it before she did, so I know she was motivated to get to the bottom of it. What she was told fits with what i was told earlier this week. Carnival told me that all shore excursions for Key West, starting May 20 sailing, had been cancelled. The rep also told me that the naval base "bumped" them from using the dock fairly regularly. My TA was told Cozumel was being considered. If that does not work out for whatever reason, Nassau, Grand Cayman, etc may be considered (I would think). Right now, I would bet on Cozumel. A computer glitch does not make sense, given what Carnival reps have said and the fact that you still cannot book excursions for Key West.

Vic

Archived