Experiences cruising in mid to late October?

I am considering going on a cruise in late October (22nd-29th) to the Western Caribbean and am wondering what your experiences have been cruising this time of the year; such as the weather and what it's like at the different ports (Cozumel, Costa Maya, Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Belize).

I am considering this time because my 14-year-old son (who will be a freshman) only has 3 days of school that week so would miss very little school and the prices are very good. But on the flip-side, I guess that's technically still hurricane season.

So what is your experience? Any input would be great! :)

I've done it twice... first time was perfect.. gorgeous, great weather. Last year, we went on the heels of a TS and followed it in actually... not to mention we visited Roatan during the rainy season... we still had a blast!!!! It rained alot, but the winds weren't bad and the ship didn't rock much... I am cruising again this October, and next... so obviously I enjoy it :D The prices are better, there are far fewer kids, and the chances that the cruise will be affected by a hurricane is actually pretty low...

Thanks! Just wondering, on your last cruise were you able to spend much time up on deck, or did it rain most of the days?

Sorry, guess you already answered that question:o

Sounds like with your experience it's pretty much a 50/50 chance for rain.

What about everyone else?

Thanks! Just wondering, on your last cruise were you able to spend much time up on deck, or did it rain most of the days?

We spent all of our time on deck, rain or no rain :D It's amazing how nice it is on a ship, with a nice rain storm, sitting under cover, with a foo foo in hand :D It didn't rain the entire time, but the weather wasn't the best... We made the best of it. But just because you cruise in October doesn't mean the weather will be bad... last year was a bad year for hurricanes and storms... in years past, it hasn't been that bad. You could get rain any time of the year... don't worry, you will have a great time! We sure did!!!!

I've done it twice... first time was perfect.. gorgeous, great weather. Last year, we went on the heels of a TS and followed it in actually... not to mention we visited Roatan during the rainy season... we still had a blast!!!! It rained alot, but the winds weren't bad and the ship didn't rock much... I am cruising again this October, and next... so obviously I enjoy it :D The prices are better, there are far fewer kids, and the chances that the cruise will be affected by a hurricane is actually pretty low...

Where are you going next October?? ;) :D

I've cruised in Sept., Oct., Nov. and December and been fortunate to have good weather every time! It has rained in Cozumel for a little while during the day each time but it blows off quick.

Our very first cruise was to be in October, we made it half way there. our connecting fight could not land in Florida due to a huricane. The ship sailed without us, we heard the seas were quite rough. I'd do it again if the price was right.

we sailed the glory the end of last oct....not again in oct! key west, belieze and cozumel were replaced with nassau (p-u) st thomas and san juan )p-u).. if u dont care where your ports r go for it! the weather was fine but mother nature made sure we knew it was hurricane season.. oh we had cheap enuff rates....never again..

We've done it twice. One cruise was rainy, chilly, windy. Other than a couple of very windy days, we had perfect weather during the other one. It is definitely still hurricane season, so anything could happen, but it wouldn't stop me from booking another October cruise. Besides, I'd rather be on a ship during hurricane season than at home. The captain will steer the ship away from any hurricanes; we couldn't steer our house out of Charley, Frances and Jeanne's paths in 2004!

We cruised last Oct and had the best weather! We sailed around Wilma and never had a problem, we really enjoyed being there while most of the kids are in school, and the prices were great! We are cruising again this Oct, hope for just as great weather this year!

We have cruised twice during this time period and have the third booked for this year. The first time we had partly sunny skies in G.C. and a little rain in Ocho Rios, our 2 days at sea were perfect! Over all came home with a great tan. Second time we were dodging a Wilma and still had great weather. The only rain and I due mean RAIN came for about 10 minutes in Nassau, after that nothing.

I wish we could predict the weather maybe I wouldn't have been wet for 6 straight days while doing the mouse thing in '04. For us it's more affordable to do the Oct. cruises and DH is off on a fall break, so far so good. If you want to avoid hurricanes you have to cruise in the winter, with hurricanes coming earlier and staying around later.

Let us know what you decide!

This is really the only time of year we like to cruise... There are far fewer children on board, prices are great, and the captain will do his best to steer away from any weather related issues that would risk safety. Yes, there has been rain, but I cannot remember a day on a land based vacation in the "tropics" that it hasn't rained for at least a few minutes :)

I'd go for this timing in a minute if that's what works for your family and your son will still meet plenty of new friends on board- just probably not 700 of them!

Sure you face a chance of a TS or Hurricane...

but the season lats from June until December...so half the year there is a chance.

On our cruise we did not have more than a cloudy day the whole trip. The weather was absolutely incredible. We were two weeks after Rita had hit, and one week before Wilma came to visit. We were the last Conquest trip to visit Cozumel before Wilma came.

On the last day of our cruise, Wilma became changed from a TD to a TS, and we began to see some higher waves as we cruised from Cozumel to Galveston.

I am going on the Glory in September, because of a change in schedules this year. I am not going to let the fear of Hurricane season scare me off.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, it's helped a lot!

Although I'm not really AFRAID of a hurricane because I'm confident that we would be kept out of harm's way, I don't want the increased odds of hitting bad weather because of it being hurricane season. So I've decided to sail on the Carnival Miracle (Feb 4th - 11th). Surprisingly it's only costing me $200 dollars more than it would in October (although finding reasonable airfare at that time was a challenge!). Living in Green Bay, I will be anxious for a break from our long winter, so I figured this would be the best way to go.

Thanks again! :)

We cruised last October 29 - Nov 5th I think where the dates. We left a few days after Wilma hit. ANd we were at the northern end of one of the TS. Our first night and next day the seas where rough but it only rained for a few minutes. However it was very warm. It also rained for about 5 mins in St Thomas but that was it, we sun bathed on deck every day, actually it was too hot when sightseeing on the Islands. But we loved it enough to go again this October....also it is when the high school kids in our town get a week off so the kids only miss a day of school.

Kim

The weather is always an unknown. Hurricane season is officially June 1, through November 30, with the busiest times usually from labor day until mid October. Last season though there were storms in December and January. There is just no way to know. There is also no way to know where a storm will be at any given time. If you are worried go to the National Weather Service web site and check out their hurricane pages, lots of good stuff there.

Don't forget that the oceans are big and as I recall they create most of the weather in the world.

The bottom line is that you might never see a cloud and you might never see the sun. It might be smooth as glass or you might be in 30 foot waves the whole cruise. It might rain and it might be dry.

Oh, that is true any day of the year.

Archived