South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Morning all,

I hope everyone had a good holiday.

Sticked pretty much to the diet this wknd except I had some wine the last 3 nights.Had 2 ravioli on Christams day,other wise low-carb.Absolutely no sweets or sugar...took a walk to smoke a cigar when they broke out the desserts...not that I would have been tempted much.

Back to Phase 1 or so,eating more fish & chicken,cutting down on the beef.

31 days until we sail,let's see what I can do before that.

Take care,

John

Christmas is over and so is my laxed WOE. DH and I are starting back on Phase 1 until our cruise in 13 days. Luckily I didn't gain any weight over the holidays, but I am about 8 pounds heavier than I wanted to be for the cruise. Hopefully getting back on Phase 1 will help me to drop those 8 pounds before the cruise. Everyone take care.

Hi all- Sorry I haven't posted. I'm starting to go through withdrawal!

It's been a horrible weekend. I just got my Granddad out of the hospital on christmas eve and then on Christmas day my grandma fell at our house and broke a hip. I spent all christmas day at the hospital, all yesterday at the hospital and I am zonked. I stopped in twice at the hospital today but it was oldest DD's birthday and I just felt like I couldn't miss our traditional lunch at India Palace and shopping trip after just missing their entire Christmas. :(

I gained 9 pounds in the last 2 weeks from christmas parties, stress and grabbing food on the run instead of cooking. I'm starting back on my WOE tomorrow since all the christmas/birthday parties are over. We're having one for NYE but everyone is bringing healthy stuff for it.

I'll check back in tomorrow sometime.

Tami

So sorry about your Grandmother, hope she is doing better
Not fair just got your Grandfather home. Please take care of your self to.
Get some sleep.
Glad you got to spend time with your daughter, the kids will understand
about Christmas. Your a good mother and grandaughter.
Good thoughts going to your grandparents and you. Take care.

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent so long, but it has been a very busy time for me...not like you though Tami.

Tami, I'm very sorry to here about your grandmother. Hopefully, she'll be able to move around soon and out of the hospital. I'm glad your granddad is doing better though. I'm sorry your Christmas was ruined.

I have to confess that I've been a VERY B-A-D girl! I won't even get on the scale so I don't know how much I've gained. My clothes tell me at least 5-7 lbs! :eek: I've started back on Phase 1.5 today. After Jan 1, I'll go back to Phase 1 for a couple of weeks. Then it is Phase 1.5 - Phase 2 until I get 25 lbs off. I'll be on maintenance after that. I have until May 1st to get the 25 lbs off so I know I can do it.

Juli, good luck on getting the weight off before your cruise. I'm so glad for you! I wish my cruise was a month away...well maybe not, I've got all of this weight to lose. LOL

Hi John! Sounds like you were a very good boy during Christmas. I wish I had your willpower!

Morning all,

Tami,sorry about your grandma,for something like that to happen especially around the holidays makes it even worse...not that there's ever a good time.

Trying to diet at Christmas time has to be nearly impossible with all the temptations.All you can really do is go back to what has worked for you in the past and not dwell on what has already been done.

I'm trying to tweak my diet even more since we sail in just 30 days.I tried grabing a Lean Cuisine from the freezer this morning but put it back when I read it had 48 grams of carbs!Whoops!

Hope everyone has success!

John

[QUOTE]I'm trying to tweak my diet even more since we sail in just 30 days.I tried grabing a Lean Cuisine from the freezer this morning but put it back when I read it had 48 grams of carbs!Whoops! [/QUOTE]John, those Lean Cuisines have tons of bad carbs in them. There are some that are low in carbs, but I don't like them because there is hardly any food in them...LOL! I cook extra at dinner each night and make me and DH a lunch for the next day. Works like a charm. ;)

Shelia,

I know what you mean about the lack of food!

I cook all the meals in our house (wifey can't literally boil water) so if I'm not cooking,we're not eating.I always make extra for lunches but all I had today was one scrawny little filet of catfish and I didn't think that was going to be enough since I didn't bring a salad but I guess it's gonna have to do!

Hi all- Just got back from the hospital. They're going to move Grandma to the rehab hospital On Thursday or Friday. She's doing ok but is in alot of pain. She was on a morphine pump but kept forgetting to push the button. Now she's on oral pain meds but she has to ask for them. I hope she remembers. Otherwise they come in to do therapy but she's in so much pain that she can't do it.

I started back on my WOE today. Hopefully exercise too but I have to dig my way back to the equipment which still has half a kitchen in front of it. :rolleyes: Ugh! It never ends!

Tami

Hi All -

I did so good yesterday! And then...dinner. I was staring in the pantry trying to figure out what to make for dinner when a jar of spaghetti sauce jumped out and grabbed me. It just wouldn't let go. So...you guessed it, dinner was Carbville. I am doing much better today and have chicken thawed out for dinner. Now to stay on track. I also had red wine last night. Phase 1 is the toughest for me because I can not have my nightly wine! I better get used to water with dinner for the next 10 days!

Tami
There is life after all the problems. My hubby died 3 1/2 weeks after our oldest DD's wedding 8/03. My mother had a series of strokes beginning in early Dec 03 and cluminating in her passing away 1/19/04. I treasure the memories made with both. I am very involved with my kids ( I am going to be a grammy late 7/05, younger is getting married 9/3/04)) and my dad. A friend lost her hubby 3/04 and I get together with er at least every other week. I still work full time. I have an 11 room house and a bunch of collectables to take care of/sell off. My motto has become one day at a time and I reserve at least 1 day per week for only me, read, get a manicure/pedicure/both. Breathe in, breathe out. This too shall pass.

Hi, all. I did pretty well sticking to the plan over Christmas. I didn't even have the mashed potatoes with Christmas dinner. I have to admit that wasn't completely due to willpower. They were way down at the other end of the table, and by the time I loaded my plate with roast beef and veggies there wasn't enough room for the spuds. Plus everyone else was busy passing other bowls around. If they had been down at my end, I might have caved in. I didn't make any dinner rolls, either. I figured none of us needed those empty carbs.

Tami, I was so very sorry to hear about your Grandma. My M-I-L broke her hip many years ago, and it does take quite a while to recuperate. It sounds like your grandma will be in good hands, though, and they have are always improving the recuperation methods. Remember to take care of yourself, too, during this stressful time. You won't do yourself or your family any good if you neglect your own needs.

Holly, thanks for the reminder that we can get through just about anything, and that no matter how bad things seem they will get better. Keeping positive is sometimes more than half the battle.

John, my first big lesson learned with SBD was how important it is to read labels. It still takes me so much longer go grocery shop because I still check out the labels before putting stuff in my cart. My mom had a freezer full of Lean Cuisines and other "diet" stuff, but she had gained at least 20 pounds this past year. She was cutting fat, but adding tons of carbs. I sent all the holiday goodies home with the kids. I have pretty good willpower, too, but find it so much easier to stay legal when the temptations simply aren't around.

Juli, just remember you can eat better the next couple of weeks, and that the one bad meal won't spoil things for you. Load your pantry/cabinets with foods that will make it easier for you to fix healthy meals fast.

Shelia, I don't know if this will help or not, but when I was at the health club we used to remind anyone trying to lose weight to set their goals in small increments. A goal of 25 lbs by May can either seem overwhelming, or you feel like "I've got 5 mos. to lose the weight, I can wait to get started." A goal of 3-5 pounds in the next 2 weeks might be an easier way to get started. Success with a smaller loss usually leads to the enthusiasm to continue.

Speaking of health clubs, the new Y is set to open on the eastside of Evansville the day we get back from our cruise. How's that for timing? If we sign up before the opening we'll get a discount on the membership. We have a treadmill and a rowing machine and just bought a really gently used AirDyne stationery bike, but find that going to a fitness center works better for us. We'll have to head over there soon and get signed up. We quit our last club when major road construction just made it a huge hassle to get there. The Y is actually a little further away, but will still be easier to get to. We've never belonged to a Y before, but the facility looks like it's much nicer than many of the "private" fitness clubs. I know it will be ridiculously crowded the first couple of months, but DH and I can go during the non-peak times.
Shae
(PS the snow is finally melting! Maybe it will be gone by Sunday! S-I-L got DD's car stuck when he drove off our driveway Sunday. It took us 2 hours to get it free and up to the road.)

Hey guys!

Holly,

That's the right attitude to have!After my mom recently passed away,I realized life is just too short to not be doing the things you want to do for yourself.One day at a time...it's the only way.

Julie,

Speaking of wine and alcohol,is it white wine that is lower in carbs or the other way around?Also,when I cruise,I usually bring along some brandy or cognac or bourbon.I understand whiskey doesn't have any carbs so I'm figuring bourbon (also another form of whiskey) doesn't either.I'm guessing brandy and cognac are out since they would have sugar in them.

Am I right?

I understand how you feel about your nightly glass of wine with dinner.I've cut that out (except on occasion)and drinking water with your meal does take some getting used to...and not in a good way if you know what I mean!

Weighed myself this morning (1st. time in about a week) and I'm still holding at about a 12lb. weight loss since I started.Haven't been able to do our nightly exercise since it's been pouring out but I just can't figure out why I've basically lost 10-12lbs and that's it! I have introduced an apple a day (you know what they say!)and some dry grapenuts in the morning for fiber into my diet but that's about it...maybe I'm just meant to be the weight I am.

Hi Shae! You are so right about the weight goals. My overall weight goal is to lose 25 lbs. It takes me forever to lose that much weight so I do set little goals. Basically, my goal is to lose 5 lbs a month. That might seem like a lot of some people, but it is to me. ;)

John, you are doing so well! I think it is the white wine that is better for us on South Beach.

John - It is the red wine that is acceptable starting with Phase 2. White wines have lots of sugars. You might also check the box of your grapenuts, if I recall correctly they are loaded with carbs. The SB book suggest eating the fiber cereals if you are having problems. I personally can not stand the fiber cereals so I just take fiber pills. I still suggest that you get the book and read it. I think it would help you understand the WOEing better.

Shelia - Love the picture. I really like being able to see how everyone looks.

I thought I was going to do really well yesterday, but hubby called and said that he would be working really late. I hate cooking for myself so I ordered Pei Wei. Their food isn't too bad, but the chicken would have been better. I have no other choice than to use the chicken tonight. Otherwise it will go bad.

John, my DH (John also) drinks Maker's Mark and Old Forrester. He mixes it with Diet 7 Up or Diet Sprite. He also likes Spiced Rum with Diet Pepsi Lemon. I'll only drink wine and "foo-foo" drinks...that's where my weight gain comes from on a cruise-the "foo-foo" drinks. :eek:

John - I am sorry, but I laughed out loud when you said the number of carbs in Grape Nuts. It is just too funny. You might want to consider eggs in the morning or check out some of the breakfast food ideas in the SB book. Cereal is one of the worst things that you can eat.

I must share my accomplishment today. I was out running errands and really wanted a Sonic foot long chili cheese dog with mustard and onions. Luckily I thought of the weight that I have gained over the holidays and that I would need to report in so I went by Safeway and got some lunch meat and low-fat cheese and made a roll out of it. I feel very accomplished today because I have been eatting some really bad foods lately. Hopefully I am breaking the chain!

Tami - How are your grandparents doing? I know you are very busy with them, but would love it if you could check in and let us know how things are going.

Archived