Just back from the Mercury

Fblack

Poetic Licence:

I am alway suspicious of a first time poster. I agree with your post. I was on the April 17th sailing and things seemed just fine. Cleaning is a full time job for the crew. The disenfectant that they use does not have an offensive order. I would sail Mercury anytime from any place. Thanks for posting.

Hi Cruisin Judy - Were you on the April 28th Mercury?? We were on the 12-05-04 Infinity to Hawaii with you - there was also a mother and son from Nashville on the Infinity trip that were also on this Mexico trip. We didn't see you at any CC functions this past cruise.

response to ciclista - we didn't see any cleaning out of the ordinary. It was pretty much the same as our other 14 cruises - staff cleaning pretty much constantly (that's what they do) -- there were about 40 CC people and no one ever mentioned anything out of the ordinary other than what a great cruise it was.

The only difference we saw was a waiter or maitre'd to greet you at the dining room with the hand sanitizer. I don't know if they forced anyone to use it - everyone we saw accepted it gladly.

Thanks for your concern ;I will ignore the irresposible comment and ask readers to consider the reponsibility of the ships medical staff to warn passengers apriori of pending infections! I am now enjoying breaking your bubble and am not sorry! And for sweetie pie who is suspicious of first time posters this is my second post so keep track baby and by the way this was our first cruise on Celebrity but we are elite on Princess and have taken 35 cruises in fact we were on the Sun Princess that contracted the NORO in Hawaii and over half the guests acquired the virus and the CDC shut the ship down and we were flown home to LA. We were not affected by the illness on this occasion! With reference to the CDC the following is a direct quote from their web site. "The incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis in humans median outbreaks 33 to 36 hours but cases can occur within 12 hours of exposure" since we experienced the symptoms at the 24hr point and the median is 33 hrs per CDC then I would say it is physically realizable that we acquired the virus upon boarding!

By the way Poetic Licence beside the first time post comment I love the comment the Ship's staff is always cleaning --that is beautiful!

Ciao per ora

We are first timers. We booked a sky suite and didn't have a clue what to expect. That was the beauty of it all. We felt like royalty...by the way we were on the April 17th Mexican Riviera Cruise.

If Melaida, Miss Jenni, and Martini see this...I'll pay you double to take care of me from now on:)

click here for our photos of the trip...maybe you're in some

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=52681147096785846/l=96336025/g=40796939/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Hi Everyone,

The Mercury is in tip top condition. This was one of the best cruises ever. Jim and Alison along with the other cruise critics we met made this trip extra special. The ship looks great. I will post a full review soon.

Walter

... I will ignore the irresposible comment and ask readers to consider the reponsibility of the ships medical staff to warn passengers apriori of pending infections! I am now enjoying breaking your bubble and am not sorry! ... With reference to the CDC the following is a direct quote from their web site. "The incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis in humans median outbreaks 33 to 36 hours but cases can occur within 12 hours of exposure" since we experienced the symptoms at the 24hr point and the median is 33 hrs per CDC then I would say it is physically realizable that we acquired the virus upon boarding!

By the way Poetic Licence beside the first time post comment I love the comment the Ship's staff is always cleaning --that is beautiful!

Ciao per ora

It is rare for norovirus symptoms to manifest before 36 hours. Your post indicates that you would like to blame the cruiseline for warning passengers of 'pending infections', yet you display arrogance in believing you are above the rules of reporting illness you allegedly contracted on the ship, which is what creates an infectious illness hazard for ALL other passengers, especially those who are medically fragile? Simply incredible. Sorry, your "I know better how to treat myself" rationalizing isn't working in this case. It IS irresponsible not to report your illness to the medical facility on a ship. Attitudes like this are the root cause of infection problems. I stand firmly by that.

Cheers~

• 3 weeks later...
Good morning, thanks for the good news about Mercury:)

I am sailing her on May 19th..first time to Alaska, 2nd time on this

ship though.

I cannot wait.....I leave 2 weeks from TODAY:D

By the way, do you recall who the Restaurant Manager was? It has

been 2 years since I sailed Mercury..wonder if luck would have it

that it is the same guy;)

And I wonder if my waiter is still sailing her too!

Hi Lois,

Remember me? Been awhile since we chatted on the Celebrity boards.

Could you do me a favor and check some things for me on the Mercury?

My Mom is in a wheelchair and I am curious about the faclities.

First, Are there unisex private bathrooms in public areas for hanidcapped people?

Second, Is there a private handicap shower room near the gym?

I want to see if I can get away with booking a standard type cabin for my Mom and I.

You can e-mail me if you like at Bicepeak@aol.com.

Info ----

Cruiseship Captain

U.S. Coast Guard | May 22, 2006

Seattle - The Coast Guard is investigating the captain of the cruise ship Mercury for operating a commercial vessel under the influence of alcohol in violation of Title 46, United States Code, Section 2302. The statute, a Class A misdemeanor which is punishable with up to one year imprisonment, prohibits the operation of a vessel while under the influence of alcohol.

Celebrity Cruises, owners of the Mercury, removed the captain and the ship sailed safely with a qualified relief captain. The cruise line fully cooperated with the investigation.

At approximately 2:27 p.m., a Coast Guard Sector Seattle boarding officer, while performing a safety inspection onboard the Mercury, made contact with the vessel's captain and detected an odor of alcohol on his breath.

The federal statutory law provides that a person operating a commercial vessel on the waters of the United States is considered legally intoxicated if his blood alcohol concentration level exceeds .040.

The Mercury, owned by Celebrity Cruises, was moored at terminal 66 at the time of the incident.

The

Archived