disembarking Seattle question for experienced NCL travelers

psdab

We sail on the Star from Seattle in May. We have plane reservations for 12:50 with SWA to return home. What is the order that you can get off the ship. On RCCL a couple of years ago, you disembarked based on the time of your plane reservation.(You could also get your tags exchanged after you received them for an earlier one) I read a couple of days ago that NCL does not do it like that. The person said first is the people that carry off their own luggage, then anyone who booked air through NCL, then they start at the top of the ship and work down. If that is true, our only option is to carry off at 8:00 because we are on deck 8. I can still change our reservation for no increase in price to a 3:45 flight, should I do that if I don't want to carry off at 8:00? If we do change to the later flight, what is the latest we can stay on board?

We sail on the Star from Seattle in May. We have plane reservations for 12:50 with SWA to return home. What is the order that you can get off the ship. On RCCL a couple of years ago, you disembarked based on the time of your plane reservation.(You could also get your tags exchanged after you received them for an earlier one) I read a couple of days ago that NCL does not do it like that. The person said first is the people that carry off their own luggage, then anyone who booked air through NCL, then they start at the top of the ship and work down. If that is true, our only option is to carry off at 8:00 because we are on deck 8. I can still change our reservation for no increase in price to a 3:45 flight, should I do that if I don't want to carry off at 8:00? If we do change to the later flight, what is the latest we can stay on board?

NCL starts with express (carry your own) and VIP's but then disembarks guests according to travel plans, not by deck plan. Your travel documents will tell you is the earliest time to schedule a flight.

I can't be specific with how they do it here in Seattle but we cruised the Star out of San Pedro in December but what cruisngfromMN said sounds about how ours worked. When we received our colored tags, we really wanted to get off earlier than assigned and all we did was take the tags down to the reception desk and asked for the first group off and she exchanged them for us. No problem at all.

At some point they ask you when your flights are and they will assign disembarkation times based on the info you give them. If you aren't the first group then just get them exchanged for the first group. Barring any other issues you should be fine in getting to the airport in plenty of time.

I would always recommend getting the latest flight as opposed to the earliest flight you can. You always want to leave room for the "what ifs".

Our experiences with disembarking in Seattle have been great, as far as NCL's part. However, one time the ship was hit with a surprise random INS check. Every crew member had to get off the ship to be checked, and not one passenger could leave the ship until this process was done. It delayed disembarkation by about 2 hours.

There were SO many unhappy passengers who missed flights and so on, but this was no fault of NCL's.

We live in Seattle, so it's not an issue for us, but as I said to begin this post - I would always try to get a later flight out, or even fly out the next day if that's possible.

Hikini:D

Near the end of the cruise you are given a questionire to fill out, one of the questions is about your flights. On our first cruise we were in a penthouse and so we had special tags that allowed us to leave whenever we wanted - no waiting for our color to be called. On our second cruise we were in a std room. We drove to Seattle so there was no hurry to get anywhere. When we got down to the luggage area in the pier, all the bags were grouped by color - find your color - find your bags and head for customs. They started calling colors about 8:30 or 9:00.

Hope this helps.

Another word of warning: SEATAC airport is extremely busy in the mornings, especially Sundays when all the cruise ships come in and people are flying home.

We got off the Star last July at 8:45 a.m. (second color to be called), got on our bus (after claiming luggage) at about 9:30 and got to Seatac at about 10:15. We then had to wait about 15 minutes to get up to the drop off point at the terminal due to heavy traffic. Once inside, we waited to check-in at the counter (Delta) for over an hour and then waited to get through the security check-point for another 30 minutes. We had a 1:15 p.m. flight and got to the gate area about 12:30 p.m. (of course our gate was the furthest gate back in the terminal....lol)

The order of disembarkation is:

Express (carry your own)

NCL sponsored Tours (Black tags) & VIP's

Then they start with colored tags. We had the second color to be called. The first color was called about 8:15-8:20.

After you disembark you go through a customs check-point. (took about 5 minutes) Then you go into a big wharehouse where the luggage is sorted out by color tag. You have to find your luggage in your color tag area and claim it. Then you go through one final check-point and you are outside where taxis and busses are waiting.

Hope this helps.

SeaTac has to be the worse airport in the world to move passengers around.

If your gate is in one of the remote terminals, it's a long walk carrying heavy bags. It's an even longer walk when the moving sidewalks aren't working. There's no bus, train or trolley service to get you to the remote terminals.

There's not enough drop off spaces to get you off your bus or taxi curb space.

There's not enough security checkpoints to get into the terminal. There's so much business at SeaTac because most cruise passengers fly in or out of SeaTac, and because Seattle is so far away (remote) from the rest of the US and unlike most NCL home ports, there's only one airport choice.

Seattle is so isolated from the rest of the US distance wise most Seattle citizens and cruise passenger fly to the MidWest, Texas, California and the East Coast. Taking surface transportation to other US cities can't be done in one day, or for most cities in two days. So almost everyone is rushing to catch their flights at SeaTac.

Having lived in Seattle since I was 4 (I consider myself a native) I am completely used to SeaTac and have no problem getting around. It helps knowing where everything is. But yes, it is a busy airport and especially so on the weekends during cruise season. Something else to plan for.

Hikini:D

If you need to change your luggage tags for a different time be sure to take proof of your flight to show at the pursers desk. I was on Princess and had to do this. I waited in line 40 mins only to find out I had to bring him a copy of my flight itinerary. He would not take my word for it! I don't know if NCL would require proof but take your itinerary just in case. It might save you some time.

SeaTac has to be the worse airport in the world to move passengers around.
If you get to the airport at a reasonable time before your flight, it's no more difficult than any other airport in the country. Getting there last minute will slow you down and cause problems like it would at any other airport. DFW and ATL are my least favorite airports in the USA. I find neither very friendly. However, I always plan ahead for those airports and I don't have problems.

My parents were on the Star that had the surprise INS inspection that Hinkini mentioned above. It was a disaster, because after the delay, everyone decided not to wait patiently, and stairs, elevators were blocked.

The only reason they made their plane (1 pm) was they found an experienced limo driver who sped all the way to SeaTac. Then he told the four in the car to do skycap for the luggage--Mom and Dad did, the other two didn't--Mom and dad made the plane, the other two didn't.

If you get to the airport at a reasonable time before your flight, it's no more difficult than any other airport in the country. Getting there last minute will slow you down and cause problems like it would at any other airport. DFW and ATL are my least favorite airports in the USA. I find neither very friendly. However, I always plan ahead for those airports and I don't have problems.

If you have chronic sore feet and legs, walking long distances (up to several thousand feet at SeaTac) isn't comfortable. At DFW, I never have to walk more than a few hundred feet. Use the tram or buses at DFW to get between the five different terminals, or to move to the opposite side of the same terminal because each terminal has two tram stations. There's a tram every minute, and it takes less than 10 minutes to reach any terminal from another. With the tram stations being inside security, you don't have to cross any security lines, so you only have to go through security once.

Also, at SeaTac, there's just one huge line to get through security at one major entry. At DFW, each of the five different terminals have three entrys and lines, (15 entrys at DFW to 1 at SeaTac). There's rarely a long line at DFW getting through security.

While DFW may be confusing, especially with the left exits from the main highway, it's far better at moving passengers from one gate to another, from one terminal to another, or even getting through security than SeaTac. There's seperate levels for unloading and loading, and seperate levels for the train and buses. So you won't have to wait 15 minutes on the bus or taxi just getting the vehicle to park in the unloading zone.

Well psdab, we are in the same position as you our flight is on SW at 12:30, we booked it because of a non stop flight back to Nashville, if the if's happen we can try and get on I believe it's a 3:30 flight with 1 or 2 stops.

Another question just came to mind as I was typing this, was what happens if you get to the airport in time, check in at skycab with your luggage, but don't make it though the lines at security and then to your gate in time to get on the plane, what happens to your luggage you had checked?

Thanks,

Marcy

marcyjane: I believe that under the new security provisions, your luggage would be pulled off the plane. I seem to remember a new rule that says that luggage cannot fly on a plane unless the owner who checked it gets on the flight. It is to prevent terrorist attacks.

If you have chronic sore feet and legs, walking long distances (up to several thousand feet at SeaTac) isn't comfortable.
I'm not going to argue with you. I said what my least favorite airports are as an example. If you don't agree, that's fine. That doesn't change how I feel about them. And I've flown in and out of Seattle many times and never had a problem as long as I got there with plenty of time. Anyone flying out of Seattle can do so with relatively little pain as long as they have enough time.

Keystonecruiser, Thanks that makes a lot of sense didn't think about that. Now would be have to go find our luggage stored somewhere or if we had to get on another flight would it follow us:confused:

Thanks,

Marcy

I'm not going to argue with you. I said what my least favorite airports are as an example. If you don't agree, that's fine. That doesn't change how I feel about them. And I've flown in and out of Seattle many times and never had a problem as long as I got there with plenty of time. Anyone flying out of Seattle can do so with relatively little pain as long as they have enough time.

Cecilia: I have never had the pleasure (or displeasure..) of flying out of Atlanta so I can't give an opinion. But we all have our favorites and least favorites.

One of my favorites is Detroit and I really have never had a problem with O'Hare. My least favorites are SeaTac and Denver....I hate Denver International......

SeaTac might be fine if you didn't have to fly out on a crowded Sunday but my experience was not good. We had plenty of time and I only was worried about making my flight when we were waiting to check-in (but that didn't last long.) I think the problem at Seatac with a cruise is all of the variables....what time you get off the ship, the danger of an INS inspection delaying your disembarkation, getting transportation to the airport, etc. You may plan to leave yourself plenty of time, but sometimes other factors bring those plans crashing down!

We always try to arrive at the airport two hours (at least) before our flight. We then check-in early allowing the possibility of switching seats if needed and getting through before the large crowds. We then find a nice sit-down restaurant at the airport to enjoy a meal until close to boarding time. With the cutbacks on airline food, having a nice meal before a long flight is helpful. Last year at Seatac, we made our flight but had to have a quick pizza to go lunch!

One of my favorites is Detroit and I really have never had a problem with O'Hare. My least favorites are SeaTac and Denver....I hate Denver International......
I guess different strokes for different folks. And I guess it depends on what kind of traveler you are. As you can see, Denver is my home airport and while many things about it are terrible, I do like many of the modern amenities. So I'm not too bothered. Atlanta...words can't describe how awful I think this airport is. Unfortunately, I'll be in it in a few weeks. Traveling to New Orleans next weekend to see family. That's a good airport I think. Not too big. Friendly people. As for SeaTac....I've flown into and out of it 8 or 10 times in my life and I've never had a problem getting around, finding things, etc. Even on a busy day when cruises started and ended...never had an issue. But again...I think I'm a pretty laid back traveler that gets everywhere early and never rushes. I think the problem people have with SeaTac is dependent on how their cruise ends and very little to do with the airport. As you mentioned...ship arrival time, INS inspections, transportation to the airport...all things that have nothing to do with the airport. So the problem with SeaTac may be people scheduling flights too early and then saying the airport is bad when they end up having to rush around it. Just my opinion though.

Well psdab, we are in the same position as you our flight is on SW at 12:30, we booked it because of a non stop flight back to Nashville, if the if's happen we can try and get on I believe it's a 3:30 flight with 1 or 2 stops.

Another question just came to mind as I was typing this, was what happens if you get to the airport in time, check in at skycab with your luggage, but don't make it though the lines at security and then to your gate in time to get on the plane, what happens to your luggage you had checked?

Thanks,

Marcy

Hi Marcy:

Count my son and I in the exact same position you are in. We live in M'boro, Tn and are also on the same cruise and flight as you.

Hey, I'm going on a cruise to Alaska and have an opputunity to catch a non stop flight home. Missing my flight will not ruin my trip; however, missing my cruise would and that is why I'm coming in the day before.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm about 45 miles south east in McMinnville, TN, toward Chattanooga. So glad to know there will be at least a couple other people from Tennessee on the cruise.

One of my best friends and her family live in Murfreesboro and the other one lives in Smyrna. The one that lives in Smyrna is going with me on this cruise, it's a week for us away from kids and grandkids our yearly get away vacation.

We are flying out on Friday afternoon non-stop flight and will tour Seattle on Saturday, so maybe we'll see you around the ship or if not, see ya at the airport Sunday in a rush to get on the plane I guess.

Marcy

marcyjane, It looks like you sail the week before us. We will be getting on as you are getting off. I am going to keep everything the same and hope for everything to work out. If it doesn't, it won't cost us that much to change to the later flight that day. Good luck on catching your flight!!

psdab,

I like you we decided that if worst come to worst and we miss the flight we will get on another flight.

Only problem is that the flight we've booked is the only non-stop flight out that day the others have one to two lay overs. The other thing is neither of us have to be to work on Monday so we could spend the night out by the airport and catch a flight out on Monday morning.

Have a good cruise, this will be my first try on NCL and to Alaska

Marcy

This will be my first cruise that I have had to fly to. I am flying the day of but have a lot of time. We get in to Seatac at 11 am. The Sun departs at 4 pm so I would guess we have to be on board by 3. Hopefully there won't be any unforeseen delays but that could always happen. We are staying over 1 day afterward because the only nonstop was departing Seatac at 11:45 am. The cruiseline says any flight leaving before 1 pm is too early. So even though we would probably make it I don't want the stress of worrying about it so we'll stay and tour Seattle.

Jett456,

It sounds like you'll have plenty of time even if there is a lot of traffic from the airport to the port of Seattle. I think I've read on the boards that the airport is about 45mins to an hour from the port.

Good Luck and have a wonderful trip.;)

Marcy

Archived