honolulu hotel

Squirtreena

Like the others I would highly recommend the Waikiki area. There is much you can walk to. If you want to save some money, you might want to skip the rental car and just take the bus. It runs often and takes you everywhere. By the way, for $2.00 per person you can take a bus that takes you around the entire Island. What's nice about Waikiki is the beach area which I should be great for the kids.

Waikiki is very close to the Cruise Ship terminal. We were there just a few weeks ago on our cruise (we have also stayed there previously on a land vacation) and we actually walked from Waikiki to the Cruise Ship terminal which is about three miles. So, on the day of embarkation the taxi ride isn't very long and I think would be around $12.00 or so.

Keith

Well i noticed that the areas are called waikiki north, south, east so i didnt know which area of waikiki has a better location. I was considering doing priceline and north seems to have the most hotels...is this close to everything?? waikiki north?? TIA

Annie,

The beach at Waikiki is on the south part of the island. If you can find a map try to get near the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and International Marketplace. On or near the beach. Walking is easy and the kids will find things for them. Good Luck.

You do want to be near the Royal Hawaiian hotel and shopping area - that is the heart of Waikiki! Hotels around there are expensive but you are paying for location. I would also consider only renting a car for a couple of days - depending on how much you want to do that isn't right there in walking distance. That would save you some money on not only the rental but also the parking at whatever hotel you pick. Hawaii does have an excellent bus system called The Bus and you can take that just about anywhere you want to go if you are willing to work on a schedule.

My parents met and were married out in Hawaii so I have kind of grown up visiting there. As I got older and my grandparents house got fuller of grandchildren my sister and I started staying in a hotel room vs. a cot or the floor. I found that often you can call the hotel directly and see what they have to offer there that you may not see anywhere else. Ask them what kind of deals they have for the time you will be there or if they offer any discounts for using a certain credit card or being a member of AAA, AARP, etc. The last time I was out there I called the Outrigger Waikiki and they told me they had a $99 run-of-house rate for airline employees. (I do NOT work for an airline or anyone in the travel industry.) I was honest and told them that but the nice person on the phone said that if I wanted to book it right then he would give me that rate. Naturally I gave him my credit card number right away. I had looked online there and the lowest rate I had seen was over $200. When I checked in I had a beautiful ocean-view room with a balcony. It doesn't hurt to call in person and ask the hotel what they have available vs. only looking for one or two rates that they are advertising.

Archived