Retractable roof on Zuid & West

Mjasp

Does HAL keep the retractable roof open on Caribbean cruises?

I have read somewhere on this board that is wasn't opened but not sure if it was a caribbean cruise or not.

So past cruisers on the Zuid and especially the Westerdam (ship I'll probably be sailing on) can you please inform me.

Thanks

All HAL ships (Except Prinsendam) are equipped w/ the Magrodome roofs over the midship pool.

Generally they are kept open in good weather, but typically are closed in the evenings and in cooler weather.

I understand that, but why would they close it in the evening on a caribbean sailing. I've cruises the caribbean in February, May and August and it was always warm in the evenings. Just curious

As long they keep it open in the daytime, I am fine with the evenings being closed. But am wondering why?

We were on the Zuiderdam in March and one evening (the evening of the BBQ) it was raining, they closed the roof. Then realized, they were BBQing and had to open it again. They also closed it one day when it was cold, leaving Half Moon Cay, and everyone cheered.

It really is dependant on the weather and they are good about opening and closing as the weather permits.

I understand that, but why would they close it in the evening on a caribbean sailing. I've cruises the caribbean in February, May and August and it was always warm in the evenings. Just curious

As long they keep it open in the daytime, I am fine with the evenings being closed. But am wondering why?

It takes less than 2 minutes to open and close the roof - not like it's a major ordeal...

Seas tend to get rougher at night, the winds pick up & it often rains a bit at night while at sea, and those decks get dam slippery. It's best that they do close the roof while there is nobody to attend to the decks as many folks walk through while slightly intoxicated late at night - it makes for a safer environment.

There's plenty of open decks elsewhere for our late night walks.

Thanks for all your responses. Glad to hear they are opened in the day.

As far as at night, guess it really doesn't matter. Actually may make for a nicer evening if it is windy.

Thanks Again

I was once chatting with an officer as he opened the Magradome on the Volendam, and he told me that the only place where they are able to open the dome completely is in Alaska in late July and August. Alaska gets those sunny, still perfect days at the end of the summer.

Wind is a big problem in the Caribbean, so they generally open the domes about 75% of the way.

Keep in mind that the pools (on the mid-sized since the Vista Class) Volendam are 70 feet above the waterline.

On the Westerdam and her sisters, the pools are 90 feet above the ocean.....no wonder it's windy ;)

Enjoy your cruise-

Archived