What kind of wine for 15.00?

hoptoit

We will be on the Zuiderdam 7/25. We are trying to decide if we should bring our own wine or pre-order it at 15.00 a bottle. Let me know if you have pre-ordered the wine and if it was any good! We usually drink Merlot or Cab. Thanks Lori

If you don't like the brand of wine they give you, I understand you can bring it to the dining room and the sommelier will exchange it for other wines they have on board. Since this is our first HAL cruise, I don't know if the wine will be worth it or not, but at least you avoid the $15.00 plus 15% corkage charge in the dining room for wines you brought on board and it doesn't cost $35.00 like the wines I have heard they have listed (and for which they exchange the wine you get in your cabin).

All of this is info I have gathered from this board. I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Roberta

What we did on our Maasdam cruise this spring was bring a box that had 6 bottle of wine that we drink at home. There wasn't any problem bringing it onboard in Ft Lauderdale and we added to our stash in Charleston, two additional bottles, and again in Maine and in Halifax again with no problems bringing the bottles back on board. We decided against the $15 uncorking charge and instead drank the wine in our room and on our verandah. To be honest since we often buy our wine by the case and buy it at a local winery, I'm sure the average cost per bottle was much less than $15 or 18 dollars per bottle and we got to drink wine we like.

Anyway that might be one way to handle drinking wine on HAL until they close the door to letting you bring it abroad.

Have a great next cruise.

But most people who enjoy drinking wine, enjoy it with their dinner. I can see a glass or two on your veranda etc but I would much prefer to have it while we dine.

We have always been able to find decent wines at sensible prices to order from the wine stewards.

Archived