Zuiderdam Review 08apr-015apr06 - Better Late Than Never

marcoigna

Hi all;

I am sorry to post this about 3 weeks after return, but coming home from vacation also seems so hectic - especially when work is involved,,but here it goes.

What can I say - true luxury all the way.....

We booked the famous aft corner - deluxe verandah suite - 5187....I have read some posts that concerned me on how much smaller these suite are compared to the mid ship suites on deck seven - trust me - accommodation is everything to me on a ship. I looked at these suites on deck 7 and i could not see any difference in size except the the curve in the couch on the deck 7 suites - they are in my concern the same size -

The Verhandah was what i was really looking forward to and I was not disappointed - it amazed me that the passengers with the same type of aft suites never used their balconies - but i guess to each his own.

We had priority boarding on the ship - our cruise card was a different colour than passengers holding non-suite accommodations. We met the concierge in the lounge and was extremely accommodating and helpful. After the first day to rectify some reservations with the conceirge - we never really went back to the lounge - again to each his own. I did not see the point of sitting in a lounge - watching tv - sipping on an expresso - when there is so many spaces to enjoy outside.

We hosted a cocktail party on the balcony a few times. One night we invited 7 guests to have dinner on the balcony when we set sail from St. Thomas - once again a highlight of our trip. The conceirge arranged all of this for us - brought a large table - chairs - linen etc. The meal was served to us that we pre-ordered that day along with a nice selection of champagne and wine. As each course was served - the conceirge called to make sure all was okay - everything there that we ordered? - very nice touch.

We kept the table and chairs and continued with a few lunches as well. It was so nice to have a group of friends enjoying lunch and sipping on wine as another cruise ship pulls up beside - the look from the passengers of the other ship was worth a million dollars.

I arranged to have a couple of massages on the balony as well - as the sun was setting - so relaxing to have a massage and listen to the sound of the water.

The suite itself was great - wonderful bed, bathroom, plenty of space....

Oh, and the laundry service - sent our laundry each day and returned home with all clean clothes - that was wonderul. Each item returned next day - and the small items were delivered in tissue paper and placed in these wonderful wicker boxes.

The ship is beautiful and did not understand some previous comments....the only negative i would say about the ship is that the pool areas are a little bland when it comes to style - they seemed very bare and cold....the retractable roof takes alot away from this as the deck above the pool just seems like a bunch of metal around the pool. There were plenty of children onboard - as i understand some states had their break at this time - but the adult children i found to be extremely polite and friendly - always saying hello - very well manored.....

the aft pool i think should be left for adults, especially thru spring breaks, but this is just my opinion.

We rented 2 cabanas with butlers - a must for everyone to do. the service was impeccable - and the food outstanding....the only problem we had that the weather started getting overcast and the assistant butler told us that the bars closed at 130pm. I went the the guest relations on the ship - they investigated the matter and without asking was refunded 100.00 as this was not the case along with extreme apologizes.

The pinnicale grill was also amazing - we had a group of 20 so they gave us the private room in the back - so nice - elegant and food was perfection.

You could not ask for more from the buffet - they had everything - from pizza - steaks - deli sandwiches - ice cream etc. etc. etc.

The dining room was also very beautiful - great food selection - impeccable service what more could u ask for

My only pet peeve with people on a cruise is their dislike for food. There is sooooo much food on a ship, and if u don't like one thing then order something else - its not like your going to get an extra bill for this....and there were some passengers who did not like the food - but my thoughts are if u did not like the food on the entire cruise - perhaps you should not travel - i cannot believe that people could not find anything they liked. Although, this was just a small percentage of people - but every cruise has them.... The cruise is a great opportunity to try different foods you would not normally order or cook at home - i am not saying that must like everything as everyones palate is different, but please give the cooks a break - they work very hard, long hours without days off - i think they do a wonderful job - by the way it is not Silverseas, Seabourn or Raddison your cruising on. For mainstream, mass market cruises - the food is very good...

I close by saying i give hal zuiderdam 5*****.... and i cannot believe all the negative comments about the ship - it is beautiful and very classy.

i anyone has questions for me pls feel free to respond to this post or e-mail me at ig****o@cogeco.ca.

Thanks for the review of my favorite ship... it's good to know she's still in fine shape. 5187 is the primo wake suite, and it'll be sad when the rear end is stacked.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- can't go again 'til November

Marco....thanked you earler but my post seems to have gone to la-la-land... thanks for the detail....I find I'm eagerly looking for any/all info on the Zuidy...she'll be our first cruiseship and we'll be on her this time next year !!

Candy...when will that stacking happen? and will we lose the chance to experience those cabins after that?

Marco,

thank you for your report. I know you and I communicated prior to your cruise (I was on the Zuiderdam 3/25) and also loved it! Glad to hear that you had such a fabulous experience!

Candy...when will that stacking happen? and will we lose the chance to experience those cabins after that?

I'm not aware of the schedule... it may be many months or years... but the wake cabins will be shoved back a bit to accomodate more cabins. The verandas will still be larger, but not nearly as spectacular. Here's a comparison of deck 6:

Check my CruisePlanner (url below with other Zuidy stuff) for all my Zuidy reviews. With Zuiderdam as your first ship, you sill surely be hooked!

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Great review...so glad you enjoyed! We're looking forward to Zuidy in Alaska this summer and it's nice to hear the thumbs up.

"I arranged to have a couple of massages on the balony as well "

This sounds interesting and I'm not certain my wife would approve (I thought it was illegal!)...how much did it cost? :D

We had that exact suite last March when I sailed with my friends and also booked the VA next door, 5185. This suite and verandah is spectacular, so glad you enjoyed it as well.

dear krewzin;

i had a deep tissue massage each time @ 120.00 plus i gave a gratuity of $20.00....just so well worth it for the experience.

perhaps they can do a couples massage at the same time....that she would love...

This sounds interesting and I'm not certain my wife would approve (I thought it was illegal!)...how much did it cost? :D

I think balony massages should only be given on a covered balcony.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

I know what you mean, Candy; I enjoy standing at the bow watching the sea go by or looking at the island, and it's a little awkward to glance down and see someone in just a towel being rubbed down.

Granted, I might be interested in doing the same if I could afford it.

perhaps they can do a couples massage at the same time....that she would love...

If it's a "massage on the balony," I doubt she'll go for it. But you've piqued my interest and I think I'll look into it! :D

And people say HAL is for an older crowd...HA! I'll bet RCI or Carnival doesn't offer this!

I think balony massages should only be given on a covered balcony.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Ah...you caught it! ;) :D

hi all

regarding "massages only on covered balconies"

i have had many massages even on the beach in some high end properties in mexico and the caribbean.

When i asked about this service at the spa on the zuiderdam, their response was " of course - what is your suite number"....

besides, I have seen people wear far less on their balcony -

and besides - it was a wonderful experience, we have a penthouse booked on the golden princess - and i plan to do the same if it offered.

Hi Candy...thanks for the reply and the deck plan comparison...amazing how many cabins they've squeezed in....so knowing that, I'll definitely be looking at cruising the Zuidy again before she goes to dry-dock...is she the only one of the vista's that hasn't been stacked yet?

Archived