Books with stories set in Alaska

Michelle1234

Hi All,

I found a thread like this on the Rome board when we went last year and loved the book suggestions. Were headed to Alaska in a week so time is short. Any ideas for great books where the story is set in Alaska that I should pick up for reading material?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Hi All,

I found a thread like this on the Rome board when we went last year and loved the book suggestions. Were headed to Alaska in a week so time is short. Any ideas for great books where the story is set in Alaska that I should pick up for reading material?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Don't know whether these are available in the lower 48, other than on Amazon.

Amazing Pipe Line Stories-Dermot Cole

Race Across Alaska-Libby Riddles

Winterdance-Gary Paulson

Bear Tales for the Ages-Larry Kaniut

Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor-Jay Hammond

And one of my all time favorite books (it has an Alaska theme and is written by a native Alaskan)

Two Old Women-Velma Wallis

Enjoy!!!

If you're into mystery fiction, Sue Henry has written a couple... the most recent that I know of is "Murder at Five Finger Light"... she stayed at the lighthouse with a good friend of mine. Very relevant to the inside passage cruising that most folks enjoy.

Sydney Sheldon also wrote from a local cabin here in Juneau... "The Sky is Falling" features descriptions of A Cozy Log Bed & Breakfast run by Bruce and Judy Bowler... also here in Juneau.

There's quite a bit out there actually. The mistique of The Last Frontier is quite a popular topic these days. If anyone is interested, I'll be at our local bookstore tomorrow (when I return from Hoonah)... I'd be happy to write down a few titles, authors, etc. to look for...

-Case

I like to find books with local themes as well. I found some great mysteries in the book store in Anchorage, by local authors - Dana Stabenow and Sue Henry. If you search Alaska mystery on Amazon, you'll find a lot of choices. If you want non-fiction or just fiction, not mystery, I"m sure they'll have a lot of choices!

I discovered Tony Hillerman when we were in the Southwest, and some great Canadian Pacific authors when we sailed out there. It's a lot of fun to read about places you will go or have been too.

Have a great trip.

I have also read Sue Henry's Jessie Arnold mysteries. Jessie is the main character in her novels. I believe the first in the series is Murder on the Iditarod Trail.

I asked my daughter to get that one for me for Mother's Day. That way I can read it while sailing in AK and begin reading the series in order. I probably read one of the most recent in the series so now I'm working backward.

Also, if you like Janet Evanovich she has a cute romance set in AK. I can't remember the name of it, but it will be on her web site. She and her family lived in AK for about a year when her kids were young.

Tisha : the story of a young teacher in the Alaska wilderness

by Anne Purdy

"... nineteen-year-old who in 1927 had the courage not only to brave the Alaska wilderness as a teacher in a tiney gold-mining community called Chicken, but also to face down the community's violent disapproval when she dared to treat the local Indians as human beings..."

Marcia Simpson also has some neat ones set in Alaska. I previously have read 2 of them (Crow in Stolen Colors and I can't remember the other one). THe main character owns a "traveling library" (an old fishing boat) that she uses to bring books to the small coastal communities and is always getting herself mixed up in something interesting!

Nora Roberts has a book out called Northern Lights. I bought it a few months ago and have been hanging onto to it for my trip. I thought it would be a nice light read. I also bought James Michener's Alaska. Haven't started that one yet either.

I am reading "I married the klondike" and another "Women of the Klondike". Found it in Amazone. The first one is a true story and the second may be also - I just haven't read it yet.

Nora Roberts has a book out called Northern Lights. I bought it a few months ago and have been hanging onto to it for my trip. I thought it would be a nice light read. I also bought James Michener's Alaska. Haven't started that one yet either.

I had a hard time reading Michner. I felt obligated after he rolled of his HAL cruise (in a wheelchair) and came to the Red Dog Saloon to autograph a copy for my family. It did come in quite useful, however, as it's quite thick, and my 2 year-old uses it as a "booster seat" at the dinner table! :D

-Case

Can anyone recommend books set in Alaska that might appeal to a 12YO? My daughter is a voracious reader and I'd like to get her something related to Alaska since we'll be cruising there in August. Also, any books of folklore or mythology?

This is a great thread! I love reading mysteries, and I have been trying to figure out which books to bring on the cruise. I'll have to go buy some of the ones listed above.

btw - The Janet Evanovich books is called Manhunt.

I'll second both the Dana Stabenow and Sue Henry suggestions. They actually both have a couple of different series going. Dana Stabenow has a series with Kate Shugak, and a second with a policeman whose name temporarily escapes me. She's also just written a "thriller" type one, with terrorism, CIA, FBI, etc. I just finished reading it and enjoyed it.

Sue Henry also has two series. The Jessie Arnold ones are good. For a cruise, I particularly liked her one that was something like "Murder in the Inside Passage" (may have the title slightly wrong), because it was talking about several of the different ports that our cruise stopped at. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd in the series -- but you don't really have to have read the previous ones for it to make sense. She's also started a new series, with an older lady who drives around in her RV with her dog. Forget the name of the character, but it's fairly light reading. It's also a mystery series.

If the 12 year-old is into mysteries at all, the Jessie Arnold ones might appeal to her as Jessie is a sled-dog racer, and they have quite a bit of "dog story" too. Not too much violence or sex -- Jessie does end up living with her boyfriend, if that bothers you. The Dana Stabenow ones tend to be a little bit more gory. I think I'd hold off for more of the 15 and up age range for that series.

Of anyone is into "Christian Romance", I picked up a book on sale that was 3 novels in one book. I think the book itself was just called Alaska, but they weren't too bad if you like that genre.

Thanks to everyone who has provided such diverse and wonderful selections! Keep them coming. I love mysteries, historical fiction and true stories so will be printing this list and taking it to the library and then the bookstore. On my last transatlantic cruise (plenty of ship days) I read 11 books. This upcoming cruise is a repositioning so also has a nice number of ship days. I think I'll take 11 books to be on the safe side. I hate running out. :-)

Michelle

Any ideas for great books where the story is set in Alaska that I should pick up for reading material?

I recently read "Birds of Prey" by J.A. Jance. It's a mystery set on a cruise ship to Alaska! Loved it. She got a lot of the feel of cruising just right. It's not great literature but is a fast, entertaining read.

Robin

I read Nora Roberts Northern Lights - before I knew we were going to cruise. You will LOVE it if you are a NR fan. I really enjoyed it, just wished ,now, that I had waited to read it on the cruise.

I ordered the cruise mystery story after I saw that you posted it.

Let me know if you like it. It's her the first one of her novels that I've read. My mom gave me a bunch of other ones that I intend to get to eventually.

Robin

Although not a fiction book, one of the best I read was called "Looking for Alaska" by Peter Jenkins. I would highly recommend that one. "Tisha" was also an interesting read especially since we had been to Chicken and knew the place and could imagine the hardships that she faced living there, especially over winter.

We've read a few of the Alaska Bear Tales books by Larry Kaniut and enjoyed them.

Here are the books I bought for our upcoming Alaskan cruise.

Tales from The Edge, True Adventures in Alaska by Larry Kaniut

The Blue Bear by Lynn Schooner

Among Grizzlies by Timothy Treadwell

Lori

Archived