Books with stories set in Alaska

Michelle1234

Hi!

Have read the whole thread so don't know if this has been suggested.

Long read...but WELL worth it...

Alaska - James Michener

A bit OT...I'm taking a book called Skinny Dip on my next cruise (which happens to be to Alaska). Its about a DH throwing his DW overboard. Hmmm, I'll propably be looking over my shoulder, totally paranoid the whole time. It looks like an easy read though, and that's the best I can do on a cruise (too many other distractions :) )

In preparation for our cruise to Alaska in June, I got my grandmother "The Cruelest Miles" by Gay and Laney Salisbury. It's the true story of the delivery, by dog sled, of an emergency supply of vaccine to a remote Alaskan town in 1922. I was a bit limited in my choices, as she's losing her site and I was looking for a book on CD to get her. I was surprised when she called me a couple of days later to say it was one of the best books she'd ever read (heard?). I'm planning to read it myself before we leave in a month.

And FrogLover215, for your daughter, I'd recommend "Julie of the Wolves" by Jean Craighead George. I read it myself when I was about her age, and it made a big impression on me. It's about a 13 year old Alaskan girl who runs away from her alcoholic husband and lives by herself in the Alaskan tundra. She befriends a pack of wolves, but generally survives thanks to her intelligence. She's a very strong, capable role model, and the Alaskan wilderness plays an important role. There are also two sequels which I haven't read, but I'm sure they're excellent.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions! Now I can't wait to get to the library...

I'd recommend "Julie of the Wolves" by Jean Craighead George

OMG! "Julie of the Wolves"! I also read that at age 12 or 13, loved it, and had forgotten all about it. I'm definitely going to pick that up for my daughter, and I'll check into the sequels too. I'll probably read it myself, too. It may sound lame, but a well-written young adult novel can be way better than many adult novels.

Thanks to everyone who has provided such diverse and wonderful selections! Keep them coming. I love mysteries, historical fiction and true stories so will be printing this list and taking it to the library and then the bookstore. On my last transatlantic cruise (plenty of ship days) I read 11 books. This upcoming cruise is a repositioning so also has a nice number of ship days. I think I'll take 11 books to be on the safe side. I hate running out. :-)

Michelle

Michelle,

when we went through the Panama Canal (17 days) I took about 17 or 18 books with me, swapped two with a friend, read two from the library and swapped out two from the paperback shelf...so, when we went to Alaska for 15 nights (land and 7 night cruise) I packed at least a dozen. I didn't finish anything other than the Princess cruise companion...There is always so much to see and do. I spent most of my time on our balcony reading what was coming up in the companion and then looking through the binoculars.

I did read Michener's Alaska before we went (actually it wa a re-read) and the Nora Robert's book was pretty good.

Hi Gennessa,

I was thinking the same thing...Alaska will have more scenery to watch from the balcony. Transatlantics basically have just water. Also we have more port days so less reading time. And no long flight to Rome (which I'm happy about, although I loved Rome).

Thanks to everyone! I got the following (all from this list) at our used book store last night in about 40 min. Finding a set of Alaska based books on my own would have been impossible.

Sue Henry - Murder on the Iditarod Trail

Nora Roberts - Northern Lights

Janet Evanovich - Manhunt

J.A. Jance - Birds of Prey

Tisha - Robert Specht

I had them look long and hard for Two Old Women but couldn't find it. Were only 2 days away from leaving so don't know if I will get a chance to go to another store. I can't express my appreciation enough for all the suggestions. I should make it to the first Alaskan stop with these so feel free to leave more if you have them. The book stores in Alaska should have a bigger selection.

:)

Michelle

I recommend:

The “Milepost” as an all around travel guide for contemporary Alaska. It really is the “Bible” and has been for years with respect to getting around up here.

If you are into history, particularly the first half of the century, try:

“Icebound Empire” by Elizabeth A. Tower

And a book on the history of the Klondike is a must. There are quite a number of excellent books regarding this era. I’m not certain which to recommend. Maybe “Yukon” has a favorite.

If you would like to read about recent political happenings over the last three decades or so, including the influence of big oil, try: Jay Hammonds “Tales of a Bush Rat Governor”.

Hi!

A bit OT...I'm taking a book called Skinny Dip on my next cruise (which happens to be to Alaska). Its about a DH throwing his DW overboard. Hmmm, I'll propably be looking over my shoulder, totally paranoid the whole time. It looks like an easy read though, and that's the best I can do on a cruise (too many other distractions :) )

After you read Skinny Dip, you will want to red EVERYTHING by Carl Hiassen - his books are wonderful. I can also recommend everything written by Tim Dorsey; he has a terrific offbeat character named Serge Storms. Also, in the same vein, any book by Christopher Moore, or Laurence Shames.

I had a thread a year ago about books on Alaska in preperation for our Alaskan cruise. :p

I did manage to read Peter Jenkins "Looking for Alaska" prior to our cruise. It was a great book.

Have a great time everyone. We had a wonderful experience on the Regal Princess in June 05.

Can anyone recommend books set in Alaska that might appeal to a 12YO? My daughter is a voracious reader and I'd like to get her something related to Alaska since we'll be cruising there in August. Also, any books of folklore or mythology?

Another not particularly Alaska perse but set in the San Juan Islands is

"Island of the Blue Dolphins" It was a childhood favorite. It includes some part of the Russian interest in the Alaska area.

There is a series of three books featuring the "Midnight Sons" by Debbie Macomber. They are what I would normally call "beach reading" as they are light romance novels and do not require heavy concentration. Very descriptive of life in Alaska though.

They are centered around a couple brothers that are bush pilots and their business is "Midnight Sons".

I picked up a few books from the library that were mentioned on this thread and just finished reading Birds of Prey! Great reading for right before my cruise. I just started Northern Lights and have Alaska to read on the flights.

Don't know whether these are available in the lower 48, other than on Amazon.

Amazing Pipe Line Stories-Dermot Cole

Race Across Alaska-Libby Riddles

Winterdance-Gary Paulson

Bear Tales for the Ages-Larry Kaniut

Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor-Jay Hammond

And one of my all time favorite books (it has an Alaska theme and is written by a native Alaskan)

Two Old Women-Velma Wallis

Win the lottery-Jenny It

Although not a fiction book, one of the best I read was called "Looking for Alaska" by Peter Jenkins. I would highly recommend that one. "Tisha" was also an interesting read especially since we had been to Chicken and knew the place and could imagine the hardships that she faced living there, especially over winter.

My mom just bought this for me. I received it a few days ago. We sail out on June 4. I am looking forward to reading it on the flight and cruise.

We bought a book of Robert Service poetry in Skagway last year and really enjoyed sitting on our balcony reading it--what fun!:)

Dangerous Dan McGrew, The Cremation of Sam McGee, etc.

"There are strange things done in the midnight sun

By the men who moil for gold;

The Arctic trails have their secret tales

That would make your blood run cold;

The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,

But the queerest they ever did see

Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge

I cremated Sam McGee."

Very entertaining!!

Don't know whether these are available in the lower 48, other than on Amazon.

Amazing Pipe Line Stories-Dermot Cole

Race Across Alaska-Libby Riddles

Winterdance-Gary Paulson

Bear Tales for the Ages-Larry Kaniut

Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor-Jay Hammond

And one of my all time favorite books (it has an Alaska theme and is written by a native Alaskan)

Two Old Women-Velma Wallis

Win the lottery-Jenny It

I have looked all over for Amazing Pipe Lines Stories and haven't been able to find it. Is that the correct title? Thanks.

If you like 'literate' fiction Drop City by T C Boyle uses Alaska as one of its two settings, and Alaska plays a central theme in the book.

Michener's Alaska is a long read but gives you a wonderful sense of the history and geography of the state.

I have looked all over for Amazing Pipe Lines Stories and haven't been able to find it. Is that the correct title? Thanks.

Here's the link from Amazon. I bought it in Alaska-I think at the Safeway in Homer. They have a great selection of books. Enjoy!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0945397461/ref=sr_11_1/002-6848363-6757632?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Archived