Crown or Infinity for Sightseeing?

JKakes

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Crown and the Infinity for a January Argentina to Chile cruise. The key question is if the Crown's small size allows for a significantly better scenic experience in the Chilean fjords and some ports, due to being able to get into shallower areas. Other things being equal, we would prefer the more upscale Celebrity cruise and the larger ship. Is the small-ship advantage in seeing the sights worth the higher risk of seasickness and the much higher people density of the Crown?

We would appreciate any advice on this topic. We would be willing to sacrifice some creature comforts if we would get a much more memorable sightseeing experience on the small ship. Thanks.

When you say Crown, could you please be more specific. I don't think that you are talking about the Princess Crown since that ship is larger than the Infinity. Exactly which ship are you talking about?

Keith

Hi, Keith. Sorry--I was referring to the NCL Crown, which is sailing an itinerary very similar to the Celebrity Infinity. But it is a much older and smaller ship, and I'm trying to learn about the trade-offs between the two vessels. I have been on both lines several times and understand what kind of cruises they generally provide. It is the issue of whether the smaller ship can really give a better sightseeing experience because of its better accesss to smaller/shallower areas that I wonder about. I don't know if anyone can really provide an answer, but I thought I'd try. Thanks.

OK. Now I understand.

I don't think it will make a big difference.

I did do the South America sailing around the horn on the Seabourn Pride which is actually smaller (200 passenger ship) that the NCL.

We had two advantages. First there were a couple of ports that the larger ships would have to tender into that we didn't have to.

Second, we were able to navigate through their English Channel and we were the only cruise ship that could do that as anything larger than us couldn't go where we did. While the scenery was fabulous, your ship would be to large for that.

So, given all of that I don't think there would be a difference in the scenery between the two ships you mention.

What I will tell you is that you will see wonderful scenery. While I thought Alaska was pretty, for me we found the scenery in South America to be more breathtaking than what we saw in Alaska and we were pleased to find that many ports had far fewer cruise ships than you normally see in the Alaskan Ports.

So, I would make the decision based on itinerary, price, which cruise line and ship you prefer, etc. as I really don't think the scenery will differ.

Keith

Thanks, Keith----that's helpful. I wouldn't have even thought of the question except in the back of my mind it seems like I saw a posting a while back that mentioned getting closer to some of the sights on the NCL Crown--like fjords/channels and glaciers maybe. But I can't find it now, and I can't remember exactly what it said. Anyway, I appreciate your input.

• 3 weeks later...

We did this cruise on the Infinity in 2005 and we followed the Crown or it followed us (take your pick) for most of the time. As we were shadowing each other the scenery would have been the same on either ship.

I loved the Infinity and would definitely pick her over the Crown any day.

Enjoy this is a great itinerary.

Make sure you go to see the penguins as often as possible and yes the 2 hour drive to the Tombo Penguin Reserve is well worth it.

we did the Celebrity Millennium which filled in for the Infinity because it had just come out of dry dock and we loved it!

We followed BCHappyGal's advice and had a great time!

Archived