I made $$$ from my cabin pics!!

Nliedel,

I had no idea people stole written text from blogs, how do you copyright your blog ? I have pics on my blog that I got from other sites and I always post the link to where I found them.

Curious how people think you can post something on the internet and expect it not to be looked at or even used, with or without your permission? Just be realistic folks, it's the internet. I search webshots constantly while researching, lot of folks cabin pictures are on that site. Pretty sure that's Jimbo's wife in a chair on a balcony in the Radiance e1 shots :D Don't upload things you don't want used. Even if you copy write a picture it won't stop many from using it. If you want protection you need to use a service that has the software capability of disabling the famous "right click" on the picture to steal it. The technology is out there.
Yeah, stealing material is pretty much rampant on the internet.

Personally, I wouldn't care a bit if someone stole my "here's what cabin 1000 looks like" picture -- there's little imagination in the taking of that photograph, and anyone else could've taken an identical picture. However, some of those pictures have PEOPLE in them, and THAT'S a whole different ballgame. Subjects in the picture (as well as the photographer who took the shot) should have the opportunity to give consent for their pictures to be used.

This is an example of why privacy is becoming a major, major issue in our society today.

Nliedel,

I had no idea people stole written text from blogs, how do you copyright your blog ? I have pics on my blog that I got from other sites and I always post the link to where I found them.

Yeah, you'd think they could write about their own dang lives. It was one of the prosaic pieces on running.

Technically anything you write is under copyright protection from the moment you put pen, or keypad to paper, real or virutal. The brutal reality is it's pretty hard to prove in a court of law. Mailing a copy to yourself is not legal proof btw, that's one of those urban rumors.

There is a blanket copyright statement on my blog, on all the webcontent I create. That will not really protect me. The best thing I can do is pay to have everything copyright protected, but that gets into some money. Most of the time I use the "hopeful copyright." That's crossing your fingers when you click on send.

Well I just found some of my photos on this site and yes it is wrong as this site is making money off of my photos. I pay a yearly fee to Smugmug to host my photos.

I have emailed both Smugmug and this site. I want my photos removed from this site ASAP since they did not ask for my permission.

Were you guys able to access the database without paying the 12.95? If so check and see if Cabin 2465 on the Valor is posted, I like to know if someone stole my picture. The Cat.1a picture they use on the Public side of the website is incorrect for cabin 2465.

Fred (Carnival Forum)

Wow, I never even thought that someone submitted my pictures to make money for them. That's pretty sleazy, I found some of my pics on there, and I just assumed they found them and linked to them. I went ahead and re-submitted them; I don't care that they use them, but if they're offering payment for them, I want that money! They apologized for using the photos and paid me for them, anyway. I also submitted some pics of our cabin on the Grand, so I ended up with $9.50. I use my PayPal Visa for lunch at work, so it was a free meal for me. :cool:

Were you guys able to access the database without paying the 12.95? If so check and see if Cabin 2465 on the Valor is posted, I like to know if someone stole my picture. The Cat.1a picture they use on the Public side of the website is incorrect for cabin 2465.

Fred (Carnival Forum)

Fred, you should be able to get into the public access area without paying. I was until the a-hole banned me. That is where I found my photos.

They took my pictures too without my permission!!! They have my daughter in them. I'm going to find out how to have them removed!!!!

I wonder if there is something to do to report this site? Very sleezy. I sent them a e-mail requesting they remove the pictures.

cruzingator, I just found out that after I sent them an email requesting my pictures be taken off, I have been banned from the web site too. Pretty lame, if you ask me. Can someone else please check & see if my pictures are still up? Mariner, Deck 7, Cat H. There were 2 pictures of cabin 7206, one with my son in it. Also Radiance, Deck 9, Cat D1. 3 pictures of cabin 9066, two with my son in them. Everytime I try to access it now, I get this message: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

cruzingator, I just found out that after I sent them an email requesting my pictures be taken off, I have been banned from the web site too. Pretty lame, if you ask me. Can someone else please check & see if my pictures are still up? Mariner, Deck 7, Cat H. There were 2 pictures of cabin 7206, one with my son in it. Also Radiance, Deck 9, Cat D1. 3 pictures of cabin 9066, two with my son in them. Everytime I try to access it now, I get this message: Forbidden

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Just goes to show you that this person is not on the up and up. They knew what they were doing and know that it's wrong. I call that being a slime ball.

I just checked. They're all still there. :mad: I think you've got a lawsuit on your hands, especially having a picture of your son on there without your permission.

I didn't see my pictures posted - I guess they weren't good enough! One of the shots I took of our owner's suite had my youngest son in it - I would have been a little upset to have seen that one posted by someone else in another place. The others I really could care less. I did post them so those interested could see what the cabin looked like.

Hey, Fred, whatcha doing over here?;)

Cousin Christine

Huummm I am confused.When you click on the 360 view at the top of the website..It takes you to this website..

http://smillay.cruisesinc.com/travel/cruises/virtual_tours.jsp?pg=0

Which is a website I have enjoyed and used for a long time...

So are they one in the same ???I am a little shocked.

Very interesting that here is the information from the site.

ABOUT CRUISESTATEROOM.COM:

CruiseStateroom.com was founded in 2001 by Dominique Vaccaro a passionate cruise ship and old liner enthusiast since his childhood. He was concerned that only a few web sites provided a helpful and practical search for obtaining and visualization of cruise ship deck plans and staterooms available. Those that did, usually offered very little interactivity to find the configuration and location of a stateroom. One would get lost and perhaps bored by the opening of dozens of pop-up windows searching for information. That is why CruiseStateroom.com came into existence. To help visitors, first time or experienced cruise customers or travel agents search and find, through an easy to use and complete interface, the stateroom that would be best for their tastes, means or requests. For CruiseStateroom.com the objective is to help everyone to search and obtain fast, complete and reliable information on staterooms aboard cruise ships.

After years of devoting many hours to the website and designing many 3D diagrams of the different staterooms in 2004 Dominique sold CruiseStateroom.com to Steve Millay who has continued in the development and updating of the website. Today CruiseStateroom.com is one of the most complete and updated cruise databases in the world. It continues to offer unique tools and diagrams to help cruisers and cruise agents compare and find the perfect stateroom.

This is the person that is linked to that site. I will be getting in contact with him. His email address and phone number is on the link above provided by Cat.

This is the person that is linked to that site. I will be getting in contact with him. His email address and phone number is on the link above provided by Cat.

Let us know what you find out. This used to be a really good website and years ago I would frequent it often. Now I would not recommend it due to bad business practices. I don't blame webshots - and after all it is public information. I imagine most of us who post on such boards do so that others can see what their cabin looks like. I don't even have a problem with someone downloading it for personal use. I have a problem with someone downloading it to their database and using it for profit and buying others photos. Sleazy is an understatement to describe this site.

I too was blocked from the website after hitting the "contact" button. Maybe that's what it's all about - don't take any feedback. Pitiful. :mad:

Here is the complete email that I sent to him. It looks like when you ask him to remove them he will but then he banned me from the site.

Quotes:

Hi Gordon -

I have removed your pictures, it was a short while ago.

We do apologize for having them on our site without your authorization, but we are really puzzled at your response. It is our policy to remove any pictures whose owners do not want them published on our site. We feel bad you feel that way, but it is your choice. The only person who is hurt in this is other cruisers who could use the pictures to help them decide on what cabin to book.

Thanks,

XXXXXXX

----- Original Message -----

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

To:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sent:
Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:01 PM

Subject:
Photos on your site

Ok, since you decided to ban me from your site Cruise Stateroom after sending you a email earlier, I decided to get in contact with you this way. You have my photos on your site that I did not authorize. You can either remove them or I will go further with this. I see that you are part of the XXXXXXXX. I will contact the corporate office of this company if I have to to. It pisses me off when people take things that do not belong to them for a profit.

Why did he not respond to me the first time in place of banning me? That is what made me mad over anything else. It just made what he was doing that much worse. Since I put two and two together it was easy to contact him. I posted this on the Princess board and sure enough, the first person that looked found her photos there without her consent.

I had many of my Princess and RCCL pictures used with out my permission. The more I looked, the more pictures I found (from cruises 5 years ago). Cruisingator - thank you for posting on the Princess website.

I received an email back indicating he would remove them and also offered to pay for them. I indicated that I want my pictures removed. I also said that if they are not removed in a timely manner, I would contact his corporate office and CLIA. No question - I will contact those offices if the pictures are not removed.

I had many of my Princess and RCCL pictures used with out my permission.

I received an email back indicating he would remove them and also offered to pay for them.

I indicated that I want my pictures removed. I also said that if they are not removed in a timely manner, I would contact his corporate office and CLIA.

No question - I will contact those offices if the pictures are not removed.

You might get banned. He did that to at least two of us on the RCI board. Kind of funny that he did not offer to pay for them prior to posting them on his site!!!!!

Mine were removed but I did not get a response. I am still blocked but was able to get around it using a different PC. I will be more careful in the future. This is a shame as it ruins it for all those that do searches for photos.

Mine were removed but I did not get a response. I am still blocked but was able to get around it using a different PC. I will be more careful in the future. This is a shame as it ruins it for all those that do searches for photos.

I have closed down my photos until I can get them watermarked for copyright. It's a shame that it comes down to this but it is the principle of the thing and the fact that he saw nothing wrong with what he did. No way would I use his agency or any agency tied with the national account.

At least some of you got your pictures removed. He just banned me after I requested mine be removed, but according to aggieastrosfan my pictures have not been removed. How rude to ban us just because we don't like that he posted our pictures without permission. It's like, if I can't have your pictures, YOU can't have my website! Nya nya nya!

Archived