Earth-Shatteringly Important Question

Merion_Mom

Is it limoncello that is sometimes frozen almost slushy....too much alcohol to get frozen I suppose....and served in tiny wee glasses?

You do keep it in the freezer. I serve it in little aperitif glasses. I have one or two a week and my last bottle has lasted me forever. Good thing since the stuff I like runs $30.00 a bottle.

On our first cruise, I absolutely fell in love with Limoncella. I raved about it so that the maitre'd gave me a copy of "his grandmothers" recipe. At that time Princess was serving a Limoncello that had a heavy cream base (like Bailey's only lemon). Now, the Limoncello is thin-still good, but not like the "old" days. Not only do I have 8 of the "old" Princess glasses (curved and colored) but 8 of the "new" glasses with the ball at the bottom. Last Christmas I gave 3 people sets of 6! IMHO, the Limoncello they sell on board is too bitter - a better brand to buy at home is Pallini. Sautee shrimp in Limoncella and butter and serve over spaghetti - now that's living!!

Hi there, saw this conversation about limoncello and, being addicted to the stuff, just had to stick an oar in! I found a great recipe for limoncello on the food network and have been making it for about a year. It’s very easy to make and costs just over the price of a bottle of vodka. Once the family and friends got a taste I found myself supplying it to them too! One thing you might like to try (and this idea came to me because I had all these “naked” lemons hanging about - you only need the peel for the recipe) - I freeze the lemon juice in ice trays then serve chilled limoncello poured over a lemon ice cube in martini glasses. Of course the taste ramps up the tartness scale but a normal ice cube would.. eee gads!.. dilute the limoncello!

Cheers! D & B.

Ah, a fellow enthusiast! I would provide you with a link to the food network but I have refined the recipe, here it is:

What you need: a clean, sealable (air tight), clear glass container that will hold at least 1 litre or 36 ounces. It shouldn’t be much bigger as you don’t want air space.

Ingredients:

1 litre or 36 ounces of vodka

7 lemons

1 cup of granulated white sugar

Peel zest only (no white stuff) off lemons into the sealable glass container. Fill up with vodka to a half inch or so from the rim. Seal the container. Place it on a counter at room temperature, not in a dark cupboard but out of direct sunlight. Leave it for 12 days. Almost immediately you will see the liquid turn a gorgeous yellow colour, but no peeking!

After 12 days, open the glass container, pour the contents through a sieve, retaining the liquid and discarding the peel. Return the liquid to the sealable container and add the sugar. Stir. Reseal the container. Set it aside for 10 days, shaking it gently every few days to make sure the sugar is absorbed.

After 10 days decant from container into a suitable, clean bottle, or bottles. Chill thoroughly, choose a pleasant but expendable afternoon... and enjoy!

Cheers! D & B

Had Limoncello for the first time on the CB last year. This must be what they call "food of the gods"!!!

Tom O. - please, let me know if your wife needs to add glasses to her collection - I'd be more than happy to take care of any "unwanted" limoncello!!

There was a recipe given for Limoncello in the Washington Post several months ago. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Alice, I remember that article. I think it said it took 2 months and about a peck of lemons & some grain alcohol to make the Limoncello. It seemed easier to book a cruise. LOL Sorry I hadn't read that far down in the thread to see the recipe from two4sea.

laura

Alice, I remember that article. I think it said it took 2 months and about a peck of lemons & some grain alcohol to make the Limoncello. It seemed easier to book a cruise. LOL Sorry I hadn't read that far down in the thread to see the recipe from two4sea.

laura

Laura:

Too funny!! Yeah, it did seem like a lot of work (which is why I still haven't made it yet), but I'm almost motivated enough to make both receipes and do a taste-testing. Of course, to make it a more encompassing test, I'll have to "sample" limoncello at several different places on the Crown next year as well.

Two4sea:

Thanks for the recipe!! Looking forward to trying it!!

Happy sailing to all!!

Never heard of a limoncella, but sure sounds interesting. Is it an alcoholic drink that you purchase at the bar, or as mentioned after dinner? And what is meant by "medicinal" when describing it?? Will be on the CB next month, and would love to see what its all about. Thanks

Never heard of a limoncella, but sure sounds interesting. Is it an alcoholic drink that you purchase at the bar, or as mentioned after dinner? And what is meant by "medicinal" when describing it?? Will be on the CB next month, and would love to see what its all about. Thanks

Limoncello is an Italian drink that Princess usually offers after dinner in cool little souvenir (sp?) glasses. It has a very nice lemony flavor. I definately recommend giving it a try!

Hi all

Two4sea thanks for the recipe going shopping in morning and got my list will let you know what I think when its ready and I have sobered up enough to type it sounds lovely and leathal :D

Pam

Louise, limoncello is classed as a liqueur and makes a delightful after dinner drink for "settling your stomach" after a large meal. That's its "medicinal" characteristic. If you truly want something to work on an overful belly, though, try Strega.

We also were introduced to Limoncello on the Island Princess during Italian night. It was the best deal of the entire 15 days!! LOL Our waiter just kept filling our glasses. DH & our friend had 4 and I had 3. Since returning, I have made a recipe that takes 80 days and it is wonderful!!! Much better for me when it is served from the freezer... nice & smooth. Yum!

Are we talking about Gioia Luisa Lemoncello, Limoncello di Capri or Caravella Limoncello? Discerning members want to know.

Also, have you tried Nocino? You must try it at you earliest convenience.

The one that I picked up in Leonardo da Vinci airport in Rome was Limoncello di Capri. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. (and painfully cheap). I love lemons and believe that they make a fine liqueur, but detest nut-based drinks. Just a personal quirk, I guess. :)

The one that I picked up in Leonardo da Vinci airport in Rome was Limoncello di Capri. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. (and painfully cheap). I love lemons and believe that they make a fine liqueur, but detest nut-based drinks. Just a personal quirk, I guess. :)
I agree that limocello is a very tastesy drink. Perhaps, it is kool aid for adults. I find it refreshing. A nut flavored drink such as Nocino is good for nitecap after an evening coffee or on a chiily night near the fire.

Archived