Vancouver Info if needed

Hi,

Please hellp! We are staying at Westin Grand in July and our flight out doesn't leave until 7.45 pm. Where is the best place to hang out in the afternoon if we can't leave our luggage at the hotel?

I would be nothing other than amazed if you could not leave your bags with the Bell Desk at the Weston Grand. If not you could double back to Canada Place and check them with CDS Baggage there. Or LandSea Tours uses coaches that have baggage capacity. Places to spend the day, Stanley Park, Granville Market, Gastown, Yaletown, shopping on Robson Street or Pacific Centre. If you are returing to the US please remember that you will need to arrive at the airport a minimum of 2 hrs prior to departure and as you you will be going out to the airport during the commuter rush allow a minimum of 45 mins from downtown and an hour would be better.

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

http://www.vancouvertours.com/?utm_source=google-adwords&utm_medium=ppc

We will be in Vancouver in Sept. for 2 days, we will arrive in Vancouver around noon on Wednesday and figured by the time we get to our Hotel and freshin up a little it will be around 2:00 or so. We were thinking about going to Grouse Mtn, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Fish Hatchery, and Whistler Mtn. (I'm thinking Whistler Mtn is on our way right or wrong)?

Can all this be done in that span of time before dark?

We are trying to plan our short time and do what we can, but we also know the weather will play a huge part of what we do. We thought if we did all of the above teh first day then Thursday we could spend at Stanley Park, Gastown, Trolly and a little shopping. If needed we could switch days depending on the weather.

We will be in Vancouver in Sept. for 2 days, we will arrive in Vancouver around noon on Wednesday and figured by the time we get to our Hotel and freshin up a little it will be around 2:00 or so. We were thinking about going to Grouse Mtn, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Fish Hatchery, and Whistler Mtn. (I'm thinking Whistler Mtn is on our way right or wrong)?

Can all this be done in that span of time before dark?

We are trying to plan our short time and do what we can, but we also know the weather will play a huge part of what we do. We thought if we did all of the above teh first day then Thursday we could spend at Stanley Park, Gastown, Trolly and a little shopping. If needed we could switch days depending on the weather.

Sorry to rain on your parade but Whistler is some distance from Grouse, the suspension bridge, etc. Right now with the pre Olympic highway construction it is a minimum 2.5 hr drive each way. Even in the best of times Whistler is considered a day trip onto itself. However everything else is doable within your time frame.

Hi Putterdude,

Hope you can help me out here. Just wondering if you are familiar with Time Square Suites on Robson St.

We will be staying an extra night post cruise and it looks like a nice place. We want to go to Stanley Park. Can you walk to the park from this hotel?

Thanks for any info you have.:)

Luvtacruise27

Yes it is an easy walk from the Times Square to the entrance of Stanley Park - only about three blocks but remember that Stanley Park is big - over 1000 acres - larger than Central Park in NYC - about 6 miles if you walk all the way around.

You don't say when you will be in Vancouver but if it is between mid - June to mid September there is a free shuttle that will take you around the Park - here's there web site:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

The City pays for this service by raising the parking rates in the Park doing this period.

You might want to spend some extra time in the Prospect Point to Third Beach area - this is the area most heavily damaged by the wind storms in the winter of 06-07 and has now been cleaned up and is being replanted. If this interests you get off the shuttle at Prospect Point and start walking down the road for a few minutes - you will see a trail called the Merilees Trail - take it through the wind damage - you will end up at Third Beach and re-board the shuttle at the stop there.

Can't help you with your hotel but it has been mentioned on these boards before - perhaps if the search is working you might be able to find something.

Hope this helps and welcome to our great city.

Cheers

Dennis

As Ut has said, it is about as close to Stanley Park as you can get.....short of camping in the park and we don't want you doing that.;) I haven't stayed at the hotel but everything that I have heard and read is very positive. Locationly it is good, you can walk to many places such as the shops of Robson St. and English Bay. There are lots of restaurants Robson St., Denman St. and over by the yacht baisn of Coal Harbour.... here is one of my favourites.

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

Sorry to rain on your parade but Whistler is some distance from Grouse, the suspension bridge, etc. Right now with the pre Olympic highway construction it is a minimum 2.5 hr drive each way. Even in the best of times Whistler is considered a day trip onto itself. However everything else is doable within your time frame.

Well then I guess Whistler will have to wait for another time;) ..

Thanks anyway:)

Any chance of some suggestions of more wallet friendly restaurants for breakfast and dinner? We are staying at Sutton Palace. Yes, we like seafood, but not if we need to spend $30> !!

Some of the restaurants suggested look fantastic, but there must be more family style restaurants? Maybe some good chain restaurants? We don't want to eat takeaway for 3 days!

Thanks and regards,

Michael

Just wanted to say we sent5-10/11 in Vancouver post cruise and your city is amazing. Flowers everywhere and very clean. We saw Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown, Granville Island, Stanley Park And the suspension bridge.

Thanks for having us!

Across the street from the Sutton Place is a Denny's restaurant - around the corner is an Earl's - a local chain - on Robson - a block away are lot's of eating establishments including another two local chains - Milestones and Cactus Club as well as a Red Robin - White Spot our local 80 year old chain is about a 5 block walk.

Hope this helps

Off to Whistler for a few days so if you don't see any more responses that will be the reason.

Cheers

Dennis

Forgive me if this has an answer somewhere in the 14 pages prior . . . what a popular thread! (And I've been here before.)

We are renting a car from Hertz and arriving at Canada Place. I can pick up a car at 1133 West Hastings Street or get a taxi (and be reimbursed) by going to 1128 Seymour Street, which is much further away. I can see on a map that the W. Hastings St. location is much closer, but don't know how hard it is to walk. One of us in our group will get the car (either place) and take some of us and some luggage to our B & B on Bute St., near a park. Then we have to make another trip--unless there is a huge trunk in the car we rent, which we doubt. It looks close enough to do all this, and then on 7/4 do the same sort of arrangment with people and luggage to get to the airport. It also doesn't look that far away. So I have 2 questions really. 1) Is it better to get the car from W. Hastings and walk there, or go through the taxi and get it from Seymour St.? 2) How long a trip is it to the airport from Bute (Ashby B & B)?

Thanks--

I will try and answer the getting to the Airport from the B and B - unless you are going in the evening you will be going against the flow of the traffic - I would give yourself a good 30 - 45 minutes.

From the B & B - great location by the way - you are right by Nelson Street which is a good feeder route to get to the airport - follow Nelson four blocks east - left turn from Bute onto Nelson and then turn right on Howe St - Howe will take you onto to Granville Street bridge - while you can stay on Granville I would take the Fir St ramp - it avoids the South Granville shopping area which is very slow as their is a street light at just about every corner - and take Fir to 16th - Fir ends at 16th - turn left at 16 - then right in one block to Granville and continue south on Granville all the way to the bottom - ignore the signs for Oak St Bridge and Seattle - you should see some signs for the Airport or Arthur Laing bridge - take that and you are on your way to the airport - once across the Laing bridge it is an easy trip to the Airport.

The walk from Canada Place to the Hastings St car rental is about 4 blocks of basically level walking so it should be a problem.

Hopes this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Hope this helps

We will be in Vancouver for about 2 days post cruise in July.Can anyone tell me where is the best place to park and pick up the Vancouver Shuttle or Big Bus for the hop on hop off tour? We will be at the Four Points in Richmond. We will be there from 7:00 am Friday July 11 through 3:00 Saturday the 12 th.

It is not the cheapest but we usually park under Canada Place and starts our local adventures on foot from there. Even for us local BCr's parking in Vancouver is a challenge when we get into the big city and we just find it easier to find get in and out of. :)

We will be in Vancouver for about 2 days post cruise in July.Can anyone tell me where is the best place to park and pick up the Vancouver Shuttle or Big Bus for the hop on hop off tour? We will be at the Four Points in Richmond. We will be there from 7:00 am Friday July 11 through 3:00 Saturday the 12 th.

Downtown parking is expensive no matter where you park, I think that I would be inclined to park on Granville Island and pick up the tours there.

When I'm in the downtown area I usually in the Hudson's Bay Parkade on Seymour St. It is central to most of the shopping and tourist area of the city. It is only about 3 blocks from the Four Seasons and the trolly bus stop.

There is now a new site for Vancouver

http://www.vancouver.com/

:)

First I would like to say thanks for all of the helpful info on this thread. It is so nice to have inside info on a vacation city.

Next I would like some suggestions please for a restaraunt for a group of 12. We are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown near the end of Robson St. We will not have a car but don't mind walking a bit or grabbing a cab. If possible we would like to enjoy a "vancouverian experience". Our group enjoys several types of food but especially seafood.

I would really appreciate any suggestions and tips for that area. Thanks in advance.

Shawna

For something casual there is "Rosie's on Robson" which is within 1 block of your hotel, they do have seating for a group your size. After that it is kind of price point orientated, there is Moxie's in the Sandman Inn just west of your hotel on Georgia St. and just west of that at Georgia and Seymour Sts there is a White Spot; both of these are moderately priced and sort of in the style of Applebies. For seafood there is Aqua Riva down or Cordova St. near Canada Place, about an 8 block walk for you and I would describe the price point at above moderate but not outrageous. The is yet another seafood restaurant or rather an upscale marine pup called Cardero's but that would require a cab and your fare would be about $12/15 per cab each way. There is Joe Fortes which is both seafood, steak & chops on Thurlow between Robson and Georgia Sts about a 6/7 block walk. There are many others as well particualrly in Yaletown just south of your hotel but I will let others help you with those.

http://www.elephantcastle.com/content/locations/vancouver

www.aquariva.com

www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

www.joefortes.ca

Thanks for all of your helpful advice regarding one of my favorite cities. My husband and I will be visiting Vancouver for a wedding in August and have made reservations at the Granville Island Hotel. Lots of mixed reviews online. Would be interested in your thoughts and tips. Our previous stay in Vancouver was at the Pan Pacific (loved it!) but we thought we would try a different hotel and area this time.

Thanks for all of your helpful advice regarding one of my favorite cities. My husband and I will be visiting Vancouver for a wedding in August and have made reservations at the Granville Island Hotel. Lots of mixed reviews online. Would be interested in your thoughts and tips. Our previous stay in Vancouver was at the Pan Pacific (loved it!) but we thought we would try a different hotel and area this time.

Well it won't be quite in the same league as the Pan Pacific, it would be about a 3.5* and Pan Pacific is 4.5*. However it is in a fun area, a festival market area, galleries, quaint shops, restaurants, great views out over False Creek , the city skyline, the north shore mountains, yachts, etc. There was an unsolicited review last evening on another thread from a cruiser who stayed there within the week and she thought it was terrific and couldn't wait to come back. I'd do it for sure.:)

Downtown parking is expensive no matter where you park, I think that I would be inclined to park on Granville Island and pick up the tours there.

Is parking free on Granville Island or just lower in cost?

Parking on Granville island is a mixed bag - there is some free parking and I also believe that some of the lots allow free longer term over night parking after 7PM - here's a link to Granville Islands parking page - suggest that if you are staying at the hotel you check with them about their parking options.

http://www.granvilleisland.com/en/island_info/getting_here

Cheers

Dennis